What are you reading?

WestCountryGirl

• 1 month later...

Bloody world book day... Words to make parents' hearts fill with dread. 😐 Our daughter's school decided to 10x the stress levels this year by asking for their costumes to be non-fiction based, FFS. In the end she's gone in more or less normal non-uniform clothes with a book about some businesswoman we happened to have in the house! Luckily quite a lot of the other kids also had similarly half-assed attempts. 😂

10 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I fancy that one myself. Is it just poetry or other stuff as well?

No, there's almost no poetry, it's simply an auto-biography. Obviously he has a way with words. The interactions of many famous people in music and beyond is fascinating, as is his upbringing and early years. The only section I got a bit bored with was his heroin junkie years. It's a good portrayal of Manchester too.

10 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

No, there's almost no poetry, it's simply an auto-biography. Obviously he has a way with words. The interactions of many famous people in music and beyond is fascinating, as is his upbringing and early years. The only section I got a bit bored with was his heroin junkie years. It's a good portrayal of Manchester too.

Ah, even better. Might buy that this weekend.

• Upvote 1

Two absolutely fantastic books worth reading (particularly given current events):

Red Notice: A True Story of Corruption, Murder and how I became Putin's no. 1 enemy

https://www.waterstones.com/book/red-notice/bill-browder/9780552170321

Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Tell You Everything You Need To Know About Global Politics

https://www.waterstones.com/book/prisoners-of-geography/tim-marshall/9781783962433

Edited by LostHorizon

On 3/3/2022 at 6:14 PM, LostHorizon said:

Two absolutely fantastic books worth reading (particularly given current events):

Red Notice: A True Story of Corruption, Murder and how I became Putin's no. 1 enemy

https://www.waterstones.com/book/red-notice/bill-browder/9780552170321

Prisoners of Geography: 10 Maps that Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Tell You Everything You Need To Know About Global Politics

https://www.waterstones.com/book/prisoners-of-geography/tim-marshall/9781783962433

I read Prisoners of Geography a few years ago. Its very good.

I've recently seen and heard a few explainers on how we got to where we are with Ukraine and Russia and most of them seem to be a rehashing the Russia chapter (with newer bits added obviously)

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 8:51 PM, 87 BEANS said:

Just read My Name is Why by Lemn Sissay, would really recommend it to get a first hand account of the care system and his story growing up, plus it has a few of his poems in it at the end too.

just asked my librarian wife to get me that after hearing Lemn talk about it on five live this afternoon, which had me in floods of tears, such an awful thing to happen to someone, how he was treated by his adopted parents, w*nkers.

7 hours ago, Neil said:

just asked my librarian wife to get me that after hearing Lemn talk about it on five live this afternoon, which had me in floods of tears, such an awful thing to happen to someone, how he was treated by his adopted parents, w*nkers.

Hes inspirational  he came and spoke to us on one of training days and work with some of our care leavers! 
definitely makes you think!