What are you reading?

WestCountryGirl

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

Fucking tedious 

images (1).jpeg

There is only one thing worse than being tedious, and that's not being tedious!

I bought a book yesterday. It's to go with all the books that I still not have yet read. If I ever wanted to end it all I could jump off that mountainous pile of books. It's the very sudden stop that does it. However, I suspect that I'm preaching to the very much converted on that one. What was it the lifeboat people said? Something along the lines of 'It would be like hitting concrete'. 

FFS!

Just finished Tim Marshall's The Power of Geography.

Decent follow on to his excellent Prisoners of Geography.

...for anyone out there who's interested in how geography has shaped modern nation states and their historical / political outlook. Easy to read, and he's pretty funny on occasions too.

42 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Just finished Tim Marshall's The Power of Geography.

Decent follow on to his excellent Prisoners of Geography.

...for anyone out there who's interested in how geography has shaped modern nation states and their historical / political outlook. Easy to read, and he's pretty funny on occasions too.

Right there is a recommendation. I'm going to read that.

Actually picked up a physical book for the first time in a while. I’m not sure if audiobooks count as reading. 

Anyway the book I’m currently reading is Viva La Madness by JJ Connelly. It’s the follow up to Layer Cake which was made into a film staring Daniel Craig and a very young Tom Hardy. It makes the original story look tame. If you like crime drama then it’s worth a read. There was talk of it being made into a netflix series but things have gone a little quiet on that recently. 

45 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Actually picked up a physical book for the first time in a while. I’m not sure if audiobooks count as reading. 

Interesting this question comes up a lot on book groups and I'd have to say I would count it. I have personally never listened to an audio book I suffer a lot from lack of attention and switching off so not sure they would work for me but if I listened to a book and heard the whole story I wouldn't feel inclined to pick up the book and read it as well. That's my take anyway for what it's worth. If you listen to a lot of audiobooks and have opinions on whether they are good or bad I'd be happy to hear them. 

I listened to and then read Ready Player One. Just finished listening to the sequel which is imaginatively titled Ready Player Two. 

What makes the audiobooks worth it in some cases is the narrator. In the case of these books they were narrated by Star Treks Will Wheaton. It made for some interesting meta references as the first book actually has a lot of Star Trek references within. 

Another good pairing of book and narration is the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy narrated by Stephen Fry. Having a familiar voice telling the story is certainly a huge plus point. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

There is only one thing worse than being tedious, and that's not being tedious!

I bought a book yesterday. It's to go with all the books that I still not have yet read. If I ever wanted to end it all I could jump off that mountainous pile of books. It's the very sudden stop that does it. However, I suspect that I'm preaching to the very much converted on that one. What was it the lifeboat people said? Something along the lines of 'It would be like hitting concrete'. 

FFS!

There's only one thing worse than being talked about 

Thats NOT being talked about at all 

..... He was one funny fucked up old son and I'm not at the half way point yet lol..... 

On 8/6/2021 at 10:01 AM, gigpusher said:

Interesting this question comes up a lot on book groups and I'd have to say I would count it. I have personally never listened to an audio book I suffer a lot from lack of attention and switching off so not sure they would work for me but if I listened to a book and heard the whole story I wouldn't feel inclined to pick up the book and read it as well. That's my take anyway for what it's worth. If you listen to a lot of audiobooks and have opinions on whether they are good or bad I'd be happy to hear them. 

Some times Ive got through and loved an audiobook I've tried reading in print and struggled with. An example was Suttree by Cormac McCarthy. Tried it two or three time times in print and found it slow and turgid. The quality of the reading I suspect really brought it to life and I loved it when I "audibled" it

47 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Murakami - 1Q84

How you finding it so far?

I've got a thing for LONNNNNNNNG books - i actively seek out some books purely because of their length. Seems i'm a bit of a literature size queen.

I liked 1Q84. And it got me into Murakami. Although when i took up running i read What I talk About When I Talk About Running.

Enjoyed most of his books, but over time it's apparently he writes women not...ideally...and has an apparent fascination with going on about breasts.

And cats. 

On 8/6/2021 at 1:43 PM, squirrelarmy said:

I listened to and then read Ready Player One. Just finished listening to the sequel which is imaginatively titled Ready Player Two. 

What makes the audiobooks worth it in some cases is the narrator. In the case of these books they were narrated by Star Treks Will Wheaton. It made for some interesting meta references as the first book actually has a lot of Star Trek references within. 

Another good pairing of book and narration is the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy narrated by Stephen Fry. Having a familiar voice telling the story is certainly a huge plus point. 

Agree. I listen to them in the car on the war to work sometimes. Nearly always sci-fi (for some reason). The Star Wars ones are particularly good.

Recommend Darth Plagueis* by James Luceno. Excellent. And the audiobook is read brilliantly by Daniel Davis.

*Really it's mostly about Palpatine / Sidious

54 minutes ago, Woffy said:

How you finding it so far?

I've got a thing for LONNNNNNNNG books - i actively seek out some books purely because of their length. Seems i'm a bit of a literature size queen.

I liked 1Q84. And it got me into Murakami. Although when i took up running i read What I talk About When I Talk About Running.

Enjoyed most of his books, but over time it's apparently he writes women not...ideally...and has an apparent fascination with going on about breasts.

And cats. 

Only a few chapters in. Read a few of his books, best for me was Wind Up Bird Chronicle.

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

and has an apparent fascination with going on about breasts.

And cats. 

And ears.

He's always banging on about ears.

Stevie has this gem to come in Q-teen 84:

"A freshly made ear and a freshly made vagina look very much alike"

He's still amongst my favourite authors, even if it's fiction about lonely men, sometimes I'm a lonely man.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Only a few chapters in. Read a few of his books, best for me was Wind Up Bird Chronicle.

Keep us posted. I think i flagged a bit towards the end, but i enjoyed the 'process' of reading it, if that makes sense.

Another problematical long read, but one which i return to often - if only certain chapters - is David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. Try that whopper!

Anyone else read it?

Thoughts?