What are you reading?

WestCountryGirl

Where I work we are encouraged to have the book we are currently reading in our email signature. I've always resisted as I see it as unnecessary clutter in an email. However, in response to some colleagues recently demonstrating a reluctance to embrace increased inclusivity my email signature now includes this picture as my 'currently reading' book, even though I'm not...

Real Queer America by Samantha Allen | Hachette UK

Edited by blutarsky
typo

2 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Where I work we are encouraged to have the book we are currently reading in our email signature. I've always resisted as I see it as unnecessary clutter in an email. However, in response to some colleagues recently demonstrating a reluctance to embrace increased inclusivity my email signature now includes this picture as my 'currently reading' book, even though I'm not...

Real Queer America by Samantha Allen | Hachette UK

Good on you. As you'll have noticed from my month's reading I have made an effort for Pride month to read some LGBTQI books for this month. 

10 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Great lists @gigpusher! I just cannot seem to read anything at the moment 😩 I just need to finish something and hope that lifts the curse! I keep on starting different things but nothing is grabbing me.

I've been so fondly remembering all my reading of last year. I miss it!

Honestly try A Good Girl's Guide to Murder it's super easy to read (since it's aimed at 14-17 year olds) but it really gripped me. I read the last 20 pages or so through my first meetings of the day because I just couldn't out it down. 

8 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Last month's reading as you can see after Les Miserables I decided to go for some lighter reads. Enjoyed Les Mis a lot more than The Count of Monte Cristo although I do think you could trim about 500 pages off it and just make it a better story. Surprise read of the month was A Good Girl's Guide to Murder. It's a YA detective book and I wasn't expecting much but it was better put together and less obvious than a lot of adult books of that genre. The Trevor Noah one was a very interesting insight into life in South Africa. Tales of the City have been on my list for years and I really enjoyed them. 

image.thumb.png.b0a77266ddb508928d5d7fb8b0010b36.png

How was the Emma Christie?

I noticed it made the Bloody Scotland long list, and we someone who knows her in the shop crowing about how good it is.

just came across this thread as just finished Atwood - The Testaments and am looking for something to read next....was thinking the Andrew Weir - Projct Hail Mary book as recommended on here, but doesn't come out in paperback till next year...so have been browsing on amazon what to read (won't buy from there of course!)....might read some Murakami...anyone read any of his stuff?...I have read a few of his books some time ago, Wind Up Bird Chronicle I particularly enjoyed...so was thinking maybe IQ84, or maybe Norweigan Wood, just becasue they're two of his best sellers. Also...for any sci-fi readers on here...anyone read the Children of Time/Ruin books by Tchaikovsky? - there's some mad headfuck books right there.

2 hours ago, mcshed said:

How was the Emma Christie?

I noticed it made the Bloody Scotland long list, and we someone who knows her in the shop crowing about how good it is.

Perfectly well written but I guessed the ending by probably less than 20% of the way through the book. I thought it was very obvious but I know others who didn't and thought it was amazing. Maybe it's just the way my mind works. 

Just finished reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck. Enjoyed it, but think there was a lot allegory I missed because it's meant to mirror the tale of Cain and Abel, but I don't really know the original story. One day I think I'll read that part of the bible then re-read East of Eden.

Started Ham and Rye by Bukowski last night and stayed up way too late as couldn't put it down. Seem to be on a run of good books. Also recently read The Island of Sea Woman which I'd really recommend. It's historical fiction about Korea with a particular focus on the hanyeo, woman who used to support their families by free diving for food.

5 hours ago, Woffy said:

Almost finished 'Clothes, Clothes, Clothes, Music, Music, Music, Boys, Boys, Boys' by Viv Albertine after finally getting round to buying it.

Terrific read.

Thanks for reminding me - my brother bought me that for my birthday months ago & I still haven't started it. God knows why, as I saw her do a talk on it at end of the road festival a couple of years ago & she was very entertaining.

Will definitely start it when I've finished with my current book (If it bleeds by Stephen King).

12 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Thanks for reminding me - my brother bought me that for my birthday months ago & I still haven't started it. God knows why, as I saw her do a talk on it at end of the road festival a couple of years ago & she was very entertaining.

Will definitely start it when I've finished with my current book (If it bleeds by Stephen King).

Her second book certainly looks intriguing, so i think i might get that next.

45 minutes ago, Woffy said:

She's certainly lived a life!

The Vincent Gallo stuff was a bit...odd though!

Yes she's had a few odd things happen to her. Interestingly Vincent Gallo wrote an essay and said this! I suppose with any of these things it's only ever the truth according to you. 

image.thumb.png.8cc7d406700ad54b3a550b4a9b60ee7f.png

13 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes she's had a few odd things happen to her. Interestingly Vincent Gallo wrote an essay and said this! I suppose with any of these things it's only ever the truth according to you. 

Crikey!

18 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I've just read that 'essay' (about himself). Wow. 

"I like Donald Trump a lot and am extremely proud he is the American President. And I’m sorry if that offends you"

28 minutes ago, Woffy said:

I've just read that 'essay' (about himself). Wow. 

"I like Donald Trump a lot and am extremely proud he is the American President. And I’m sorry if that offends you"

Yes he does sound a certain kind of nut job. 

31 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Girl can write!

410fJ6SwHFL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

She sure can! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished ‘The Unexpected Truth About Animals’ by Lucy Cooke. Terrific read, and genuinely funny.

Just started on ‘How Music Works’ by David Byrne, which has been sitting on my shelf for about two years (I’m one of those that buys more books than I’ve time to read).

Dipping into the ‘Judge Dredd Complete Case Files’ between chapters. Heaps of fun.

I've just read At Night All Blood is Black by David Diop in single day. It's a harrowing account of a Senegalese soldier fighting for France in the First World War. The simple repetitive language mimicing a Wolof speaker who struggles with French really sticks in your mind as he tells of the horrors he has experienced and the horrors he has perpetrated.

• 3 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.f7adc2bd9da8a8c0ecc2877094c4fb43.png

My reads for this month. Some very interesting ones. The John Cooper Clarke one is impossible to read without hearing his voice. I liked The Road a lot. Lady in Waiting was actually very interesting and along with The Kennedy Curse has helped me formulate some thoughts on why families like this tend to have more than their fair share of tragedy. Dr Sabrina Cohen-Hatton is just an inspiration. Really interesting book on decision making. A good months reading. 

On 7/30/2021 at 10:02 AM, Haan said:

Just read The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett, very easy read covering some very important topics. Identity, race, gender, and trauma. Highly recommend!

That's on my wish list. I have a very large wish list when it comes to books!