What are you reading?

WestCountryGirl

23 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Last week I read The Midnight Library by Matt Haig. It got a bit too twee in the latter part, but I was otherwise blown away by how relatable it was to exactly how I've been feeling in recent months. It's almost embarrassing to admit how relatable it is, because if anyone else is to read it, I feel almost as though they would be reading my own journal. This example is more on the superficial side, than the mirroring of deep existential worries - but at one point in the book the protagonist is described as wearing a Cure t-shirt and tartan pyjama bottoms, and as I read that part I was wearing a Cure t-shirt and tartan pyjama bottoms. So.. a bit eerie. 

And in between things I am dipping in and out of The World As It Is by Ben Rhodes - thanks to everyone who recommended it in this thread! Really enjoying it, and finding it very easy to read, even whilst it feels the subject matter should be more dense. 

Interesting Midnight Library is one of those books that I have read recently as well and it was me who recommended The World As It Is. Here's my last few reads in picture form. There have been a couple of very light reads in there to keep me reading. Currently in a fair amount of neck, shoulder and back pain from sleeping on sofas with the dog who is recovering from surgery. 

My other highlights from what I have read recently Mayflies by Andrew O Hagan (although I wish I had known more about it as without wanting to give any spoilers it dealt with something a bit too close to home at the moment)

Drive Your Plow over The Bones Of The Dead by Olga Tokarczuk This was a strange one from that Guardian list that I posted but very well written and stays with you for a while. 

Love As Always Mum by Mae West the daughter of Fred and Rose West. I found this really interesting because she talks about her whole life which was weird and horrible but she also doesn't shy away from talking about her parents positive traits and I think that is really important. It's important to recognise that even monsters are human. 

How Not To Be Wrong by James O Brien I realised after I had started it that this was his 2nd book and I probably should have read them the other way around but this is a strangely powerful book that will stay with me for a long time to come. He's very open about his past and it gives a strong insight into people in power. 

image.png

Just started Tom Robbin's "memoirs" - Tibetan Peach Pie.

So far, so good. Tales of growing up in Blowing Rock, North Carolina in the 30s and 40s

I love Tom Robbins more than any other writer.

a21c3efb-1536-4847-b1b7-064649bd7618.hw5

Edited by bamber

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ve not read it … but it’s by @Superscally so will hopefully be a good read 🙂 

Excellent have put it on my wishlist. 

Here's my latest reads. Trying to read a few of the 100 best of the 21st century so Gone Girl and Small Island were from that list. Small Island probably my favourite. Handmaid's Tale was very good. (I can now watch the TV series have always said I couldn't until I read the book)

image.thumb.png.1154ed5564828cbb1623666ba8f0ed3c.png

23 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ve not read it … but it’s by @Superscally so will hopefully be a good read 🙂 

8 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Here's my latest reads. Trying to read a few of the 100 best of the 21st century so Gone Girl and Small Island were from that list. Small Island probably my favourite. Handmaid's Tale was very good. (I can now watch the TV series have always said I couldn't until I read the book)

Cheers guys! 

Shame about the Fitzpatrick book though...

4 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Cheers guys! 

Shame about the Fitzpatrick book though...

Why do most vets hate him? It was actually a very interesting read (although a little repetitive) I'll be honest I wish more vets that I have seen in the last year (and as you know I've seen a lot) had his bedside manner with the dog. They can be as grumpy as they like with me but so many don't seem to have any connection with the animals and given we haven't been able to go in and our dog is quite anxious because of everything she's been through it has definitely not helped us. Also for all his fame and considering he's in Surrey the operations that our dog had would actually have been cheaper at his place than where we had her surgeries done. 

On 5/5/2021 at 8:37 PM, gigpusher said:

Why do most vets hate him? It was actually a very interesting read (although a little repetitive) I'll be honest I wish more vets that I have seen in the last year (and as you know I've seen a lot) had his bedside manner with the dog. They can be as grumpy as they like with me but so many don't seem to have any connection with the animals and given we haven't been able to go in and our dog is quite anxious because of everything she's been through it has definitely not helped us. Also for all his fame and considering he's in Surrey the operations that our dog had would actually have been cheaper at his place than where we had her surgeries done. 

Here is not the forum to discuss it, but let's just say he is a trained actor...

On 5/8/2021 at 11:34 AM, Superscally said:

Here is not the forum to discuss it, but let's just say he is a trained actor...

Yes he writes about that in the book. 😄 To be honest for me personally even if it's an act if it makes dogs happier I'd still rather vets do it. My dog Nuala is a proper flirt a little bit of attention and she is so much happier. Going to the vets makes her very anxious (understandable given everything she has been through) Who wouldn't want this little girl to be happy?

IMG_20210502_084620_resized_20210509_020503985.jpg

On 5/5/2021 at 11:29 AM, gigpusher said:

How did you get on with the Robin Ince book? I read it on furlough and found it very interesting - wish I could remember anything that was in it!

Also read a different Brand book on a beach in NZ last Jan (the idea that I was on a beach abroad at any point last year seems mental now!), was a tad light but a good 'beach read' (it as her first autobiog). Would you recommend the one above?

I finished Call Me By Your Name - didn't really get it but v pleased with myself for persevering. Then read Moby's second book, which details his fall into rock star cliche post-Play. V much recommend it; as @Quark said, it intersperses with a timeline about his childhood and builds up a picture of how ended up an addict.

Highly recommended, but preferred his first 'rags to riches' book personally (prob cos that was largely about the rave scene, which I personally find v interesting).

1 hour ago, Homer said:

How did you get on with the Robin Ince book? I read it on furlough and found it very interesting - wish I could remember anything that was in it!

Also read a different Brand book on a beach in NZ last Jan (the idea that I was on a beach abroad at any point last year seems mental now!), was a tad light but a good 'beach read' (it as her first autobiog). Would you recommend the one above?

I enjoyed the Robin Ince book some interesting stuff in it. The Brand one was ok I wouldn't go out of my way to read it. I'd doubt a non-famous person could get away with it. An easy enough read but nothing especially fresh and interesting. I've definitely read better. Small Island on the other hand I would recommend. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished Tom Robbins memoirs "Tibetan Peach Pie"

Fantastic book, what a life lived. The conclusion is power to the imagination, no spoiler there.

Highly recommended, as are the Novels, "Another Roadside Attraction" , Jitterbug Perfume", Still Life with Woodpecker"  and "Only Cowgirls get the Blues" etc. All very great books, hope the capitalisation is just right.  🙂 .

💜 Tom Robbins. The man is 80+Thomas Eugene Robbins (born July 22, 1932)[

rs-181955-488605901.jpg

Edited by bamber

Fringes, Life on the Edge of Professional Rugby by Ben Mercer. He’s from Glastonbury way (well, Bath) and has recently retired having moved around the second tier of rugby for many years, scraping a living in rugby and hoping for a shot at the top tier (his younger brother Guy has made that leap and is on the edges of the England Squad). This book focuses on his time in France at the end of his career. It’s fairly interesting, although there are bits where he really veers into over explaining things. It feels like he’s spent half his time writing for people who are really knowledgeable about rugby, and half for people who know nothing (and possibly even another half for people who didn’t want to read a book about a rugby) and doesn’t quite seem to nail any of those things. Nonetheless it’s an interesting easy read with a narrative behind it of how the team he was playing for got on with their project of achieving successive promotions. 

I reckon you might like it @Quark? I’m nearly finished, can post it to you if you fancy. 

image.jpeg.7a085be4c233e724e41093b1bf9f6870.jpeg

Edited by blutarsky

2 hours ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

If anyone fancies a bit of sci fi - this is a hoot. 

Project Hail Mary

I cracked through that recently, as an engineer by training (albeit nothing to do with space!) I did have to turn up the dial pretty high on willing suspension of disbelief. 😉

But it’s really gripping - stayed up far too late to finish it. Good fun read. 

image.thumb.png.629b66537c8ac016977ee03f0c24312b.png

Here's all my reads since the last time I updated. I've included my star ratings so that you have an idea what I thought of them. Adam Buxton's was a 3.5 star read. Just got a little annoyed at the 'my incredibly privileged upbringing hasn't helped me or my Friends Louis Theroux and Joe Cornish in our chosen industry' Like hell it hasn't!!!! Otherwise a good read. If anyone has any questions about any of them just let me know and I'll answer as honestly as I can. 

I'm currently reading Les Miserables. At over 1300 pages it will take up most of June I reckon. I'm 10% of the way through now (am on holiday for a couple of days!) and I reckon we've covered the first 3 songs from the musical 😄  

• 5 weeks later...

Last month's reading as you can see after Les Miserables I decided to go for some lighter reads. Enjoyed Les Mis a lot more than The Count of Monte Cristo although I do think you could trim about 500 pages off it and just make it a better story. Surprise read of the month was A Good Girl's Guide to Murder. It's a YA detective book and I wasn't expecting much but it was better put together and less obvious than a lot of adult books of that genre. The Trevor Noah one was a very interesting insight into life in South Africa. Tales of the City have been on my list for years and I really enjoyed them. 

image.thumb.png.b0a77266ddb508928d5d7fb8b0010b36.png

On 5/9/2021 at 2:52 PM, Wanderlei said:

Pic by Jack Kerouac. Amazing book. It's easy to forget it's written by Kerouac, the style is so different.

Gerald Nicosia's (critical) Kerouac Biography 'Memory Babe' is excellent if you're a Kerouac fan.

• Upvote 1