What are you reading?

WestCountryGirl

2 hours ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

You've just made me feel a lot better about the Unconsoled. I gave up on it (which i always hate doing) as I didnt have a clue what was going on. Good to hear that not all of it was me.

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I remember it took me ages as well because I kept re-reading passages wonder what the fuck was going on. I got to the end and still thought what on earth was that all about! I'm definitely someone who prefers to celebrate what I liked rather than moan about what I don't but it definitely felt like time I won't get back!!

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

Can anyone recommend a good thriller? I'm a shit reader, but did enjoy The Girl On The Train (less so the film).

The Millenium Trilogy (Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, etc) is really good. If you’re not a big reader though and want a Dan Brownesque over-plotted-but-keep-the-pages-turning-potboiler: Orphan X.

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

Can anyone recommend a good thriller? I'm a shit reader, but did enjoy The Girl On The Train (less so the film).

The girl with the dragon tattoo is a good shout. I also like Val McDermid, Harlan Coben and Michael Connelly as authors. They usually have some series and some stand alone books. 

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

The film should've been good imo - it had a decent cast and aesthetic, and yet it just didn't manage the screen transition as well as I was hoping it would.

On 3/4/2021 at 8:27 PM, K2SO said:

I haven't read a book for years, but I have just started reading Development Hell: The NXT Story by Michael Sidgwick.

A good read if any of you are into wrestling.

I've been told Brett The Hitman Hart's book is a riot (orgies, drugs, etc).

• Upvote 1

Just finished Jonathan Trott's book, Unguarded. I don't often read sports books, but he had a breakdown (his words) halfway though an ashes tour and had to abandon it. The book is mainly about this, and he is incredibly candid about the pressure that top level sports puts on your mental health. I smashed through it in a couple of days. Fascinating insight.

Am supposed to be alternating with more serious books, but I may give it another month or so when we are further out of lockdown. Just started Adam Buxton's Ramble Book - only read two chapters but enjoying it already.

22 minutes ago, Homer said:

Just finished Jonathan Trott's book, Unguarded. I don't often read sports books, but he had a breakdown (his words) halfway though an ashes tour and had to abandon it. The book is mainly about this, and he is incredibly candid about the pressure that top level sports puts on your mental health. I smashed through it in a couple of days. Fascinating insight.

Am supposed to be alternating with more serious books, but I may give it another month or so when we are further out of lockdown. Just started Adam Buxton's Ramble Book - only read two chapters but enjoying it already.

Sounds interesting. Yes my plan to read a classic every 3 books isn't going well either 😄 

I am however buying a ridiculous amount of books since I joined a Facebook group that tells you all the 99p kindle deals. I now have 20 pages of unread books on my kindle. For anyone interested in music books one of my latest purchases is Grace Jones I'll Never Write My Memoirs at 99p how could you say no?? 

My last 3 reads were Our Fathers by Rebecca Wait which I would highly recommend. It's about a son who is the survivor of a Father who kills his family and then himself going back and trying to make sense of it all. Not really a murder mystery but very well written. 

Enola Holmes - A quick fun easy read

Giles and Mary : The Diary of Two Nobodies - I found some of the classist views etc very problematic Interesting if only because it solidified my views that upper class people believe they are more entitled to handouts and to get a lot whilst not doing very much far more than people on benefits that they villify so much. 

Currently reading The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah Not totally feeling it so far but only 15% of the way through it. 

I’ve just finished a book sample from Kindle. It’s entitled, Metallica: Enter The Night. Biography. 

If I find a good enough sample, I’m going to buy one. But I’m not sure if it’s the sort of biography, I want to buy. So I’m holding out.🤔

Edited by stt11

12 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Finished my first book of  the year! ... had actually hoped to finish it in December, but between going back to work and then back into lockdown, I got sidetracked. I really need to speed up though; i'm massively behind schedule. Should be on my third book of the year by now!

Don't worry too much about schedules, just make sure you enjoy what you're reading. If you find it a chore move on and find something else you like to read. I find my reading speed is always better when I am enjoying what I am reading. I'm also a big believer in short chapters. If I had advice for any would be author it would be write short chapters. 😄 

5 hours ago, stt11 said:

I’ve just finished a book sample from Kindle. It’s entitled, Metallica: Enter The Night. Biography. 

If I find a good enough sample, I’m going to buy one. But I’m not sure if it’s the sort of biography, I want to buy. So I’m holding out.🤔

I can send you a (digital) copy 👀

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Don't worry too much about schedules, just make sure you enjoy what you're reading. If you find it a chore move on and find something else you like to read. I find my reading speed is always better when I am enjoying what I am reading. I'm also a big believer in short chapters. If I had advice for any would be author it would be write short chapters. 😄 

Aye but I used to do this and then i'd end up having loads of books started but not finished haha. So now I just try to persevere. I agree with the chapter thing though, but here's a little technique ive started using for books, especially for those with long chapters or worse...no chapters. 

Fractions! Like if its a really long section work out the sixths, fifths, quarters, thirds etc. So you aim to read 1/6 and then think "well i've already got to here, lets go for 1/5 now", followed by "okay, next i'll get to 1/4!" and so on. It doesn't have to be exact of course, all depends on the reader and the book really. But I find it quite helpful and gets me through some sections in a day that would normally take a few days

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I can send you a (digital) copy 👀

Aye but I used to do this and then i'd end up having loads of books started but not finished haha. So now I just try to persevere. I agree with the chapter thing though, but here's a little technique ive started using for books, especially for those with long chapters or worse...no chapters. 

Fractions! Like if its a really long section work out the sixths, fifths, quarters, thirds etc. So you aim to read 1/6 and then think "well i've already got to here, lets go for 1/5 now", followed by "okay, next i'll get to 1/4!" and so on. It doesn't have to be exact of course, all depends on the reader and the book really. But I find it quite helpful and gets me through some sections in a day that would normally take a few days

Yes I have gotten used to stopping mid chapter etc now but I'll admit it's still a barrier to me picking up a book and a book that has short chapters just always gets read quicker. I try to persevere more than I used to but I do work on the principle that reading is a self care thing for me. It's carving out me time at a busy time. If it's me time then the ultimate point should be that I enjoy it. If I'm not enjoying it then it's really not meeting the goal. There's nothing wrong with picking a less hefty tome between books at least. I find doing that keeps me in the rhythm of reading. It's like watching films. Nothing wrong with enjoying blockbusters as well as the more weighty cinematic classics. Doesn't make you any less of a film buff if you say that you love watching Ferris Buellers Day Off every bit as much as The Seventh Seal.  

What with my very occasional visits in here I managed to miss this thread so far... How lovely to see lots of recommendations for books, music to my ears (well, eyes... you know what I mean 😉)

I need to read back through the whole thread, so sorry if someone's already mentioned it, but I just read Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein and enjoyed it very much. Would definitely recommend.

If anyone's into SFF, then I find some gems through Tor.com - in particular Jo Walton's monthly reading list.

Have started reading Thucydides' Peloponnesian war. I just recently finished Herodotus' Histories which talks about Ancient Greece, Persia Egypt, Libya, Scythia etc; which all builds up to the Greco-Persian wars (499-449BC). Then Thucydides covers the aftermath of all that, and how it led to fallout between Athens and Sparta, followed by  war. It's a fascinating read, almost like a sequel. Like theres returning characters and a lot of the new characters are related to those that were talked about in the Greco-Persian wars. There's action, intrigue, great speeches, wisdom to be learned etc. Am surprised it hasn't been turned into some epic TV series ala Rome or Game or Thrones

13 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

I write book reviews if anyone is looking for inspiration. I have a rather controversial take on Dune.

https://www.waenganuipo.com/blog

I read that review! Haven't read the book myself so can't comment much, but interesting to see a negative take on it. I noticed the word "Atreides" though which is one often used in the Iliad its the name of the "house(?)" of two of the major characters. So just a guess but maybe hes trying to emulate that old classic style, which is why the writing is like that? Will have to try reading it myself someday if I can be bothered...

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

Have started reading Thucydides' Peloponnesian war. I just recently finished Herodotus' Histories which talks about Ancient Greece, Persia Egypt, Libya, Scythia etc; which all builds up to the Greco-Persian wars (499-449BC). Then Thucydides covers the aftermath of all that, and how it led to fallout between Athens and Sparta, followed by  war. It's a fascinating read, almost like a sequel. Like theres returning characters and a lot of the new characters are related to those that were talked about in the Greco-Persian wars. There's action, intrigue, great speeches, wisdom to be learned etc. Am surprised it hasn't been turned into some epic TV series ala Rome or Game or Thrones

I read that review! Haven't read the book myself so can't comment much, but interesting to see a negative take on it. I noticed the word "Atreides" though which is one often used in the Iliad its the name of the "house(?)" of two of the major characters. So just a guess but maybe hes trying to emulate that old classic style, which is why the writing is like that? Will have to try reading it myself someday if I can be bothered...

It could be that, it's just not the style of writing I like.

I would recommend Stephen Fry's Mythos and Heroes if you're on a bit of a Greek binge right now, especially as audio books. He really does have a great storytelling voice.

My decision to read another 'easy read' backfired as I enjoyed Adam Buxton's Ramble Book too much and have finished it already. Highly recommended if you like Adam (/and Joe), are interested in 80s music and pop culture, enjoy laughing, or have or have had parents.

Now feeling the pressure again to read a classic. Can see Don Quixote eyeing me from the shelf... but may just cheat and read Jeeves and Wooster instead.

13 minutes ago, Homer said:

My decision to read another 'easy read' backfired as I enjoyed Adam Buxton's Ramble Book too much and have finished it already. Highly recommended if you like Adam (/and Joe), are interested in 80s music and pop culture, enjoy laughing, or have or have had parents.

Now feeling the pressure again to read a classic. Can see Don Quixote eyeing me from the shelf... but may just cheat and read Jeeves and Wooster instead.

I got the audio book last year and loved it. Don't normally do audio books. Not through any kind of snobbery or anything, I just don't retain them in the same way as when I read them. Non-fiction works better, biographies better still, but fiction just doesn't work for me. None of it goes in

Am currently for the first time reading a book recommended on here (have a couple more on the shelf): Porcelain by Moby. This is his first one, which is all rags to riches, living in squats and DJing in New York gay clubs, then graduating to playing live at UK raves (he gets mega-huge and makes a bellend of himself in the second book, I believe, when he goes all 'rock star'). I'm enjoying it a lot.

As recommended by @Quark, can't recall, have you read them both?

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

Am currently for the first time reading a book recommended on here (have a couple more on the shelf): Porcelain by Moby. This is his first one, which is all rags to riches, living in squats and DJing in New York gay clubs, then graduating to playing live at UK raves (he gets mega-huge and makes a bellend of himself in the second book, I believe, when he goes all 'rock star'). I'm enjoying it a lot.

As recommended by @Quark, can't recall, have you read them both?

Nope, I've not read Porcelain.  I've read Then It Fell Apart, which bounces between childhood and his plummet after Play came out. Porcelain's on my list though.