What are you reading?

WestCountryGirl

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I bought that on my kindle when it was on 99p offer but not read it yet. Trying to rattle through my book challenge for this year first so that I am then free to read what I want. The Girl with the Louding Voice was really excellent though. 

I have also read Fierce Fairytales and other stories to stir your soul by Nikita Gill. I also enjoyed that some bits more powerful than others but an interesting feminist reimagining of some fairytales. 

Currently reading a book called Ivy Lane it was the first 99p book I could find about plants 😄 It's a very traditional chick lit kind of book but actually quite pleasant to read at the moment as I've had long working days recently so probably wouldn't want anything too heavy at the end of it. 

After that just these 3 categories left to go and I will have finished my challenge hopefully before the end of February 😄 

A book with the name of a town or city in the title

A book by a local author

A book with a body part in the title

Once I finish Ronson, the plan is to go serious again and treat myself to How To Lose a Country in Seven Days!

10 hours ago, Homer said:

Once I finish Ronson, the plan is to go serious again and treat myself to How To Lose a Country in Seven Days!

Yep once I finish the challenge I have 2 Trump books (the Mary Trump one and Bob Woodward) and a couple of other books about race in Britain that I want to read. I also want to read a few more classics but I do like to mix it up with easier reads. I find if I only try and do serious reads all the time when I have too much on I just stop reading so making sure that I have easier reads interspersed actually keeps me reading. Although How to lose a country is one of the serious books that is surprisingly readable. 

Edited by gigpusher

On 2/1/2021 at 10:44 PM, steviewevie said:

Just finished Jekyll and Hyde only because my kid has been studying it for GCSE and she wanted me to read it...and now just starting Rogue Male which I read when I was a kid and just fancied reading again. I don't read that much, maybe 4 or 5 books a year. I'd like to read more but there's always a screen to look at instead.

Yes I had stopped reading for quite a few years and almost only read on holiday but I made a decision to cut down on my social media constant reading of nothingness and to read books instead. If you just go to bed 10 minutes earlier than normal and use that time to read a chapter you'd be amazed at what it can turn into. 

Since I last updated I finsihed Ivy Lane and have read An Eye for an Eye which is a crime thriller set in Stoke. It was a bit predictable but enjoyable enough. Currently just over halfway through Miss Liverpool by Helen Forrester. It's the 2nd part of a very bleak autobiography (think Angela's Ashes type book) It's enlightening though and does bring home to me why as a society we have a duty to look after the poor. The first one in the series is Two Pence to cross the Mersey which I read last year. Glad I have broken them up as it is a lot of misery! There's 4 in the series and her son has written about her later life. I would like to read them all but definitely interspersed with other books rather than back to back. My next book will be my local author book for the final book of my challenge and then I can freestyle read what I like for the rest of the year. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished Jon Ronson's The Men Who Stare at Goats. Got a bit bogged down halfway, as the first half is all the whacky goat staring stuff which I wasn't sure if I was supposed to find hilarious or plausible (I went with 'neither').

However, flew threw the second half in two days when it started applying all of these things to real-life situations, like Waco and Iraq. Very much enjoyed, though still the worst of his books I've read.

Am off now to buy a book about the Waco siege (I do like a bit of 'cult reading').

It's been a proper slow start to the year for me, reading wise. 

I was just getting into 'The Strange Adventures of H' on my fire tablet when my birthday happened and I was showered with books from friends and family.

So since last week I've read The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby (5/5), Weather by Jenny Offill (2/5), The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse (5/5 - really barely counts as a 'read' as the actual text takes just 10 minutes to read cover to cover, but as a gift and beautiful book it is absolutely fabulous and everyone should take some time to sit down with it. I can't wait to read it to my nephew when I am able to see him ❤)

And currently reading Ready Player One. Not something I would ever have picked up myself, but that is the beauty of all the birthday gift books - all my friends gave me a copy of their favourites. RP1 is indeed cheesy and predictable, as so much of the 80s culture it leans on so heavily, but it's fully hooked me in. I'll probably finish it this weekend.

Am finally nearing the end of Herodotus; the Persians are now heading to Greece, to get their asses kicked by Gerard Butler and the bois. So here's another anecdote:

On the way to Greece, Xerxes (the king of Persia) and his army meet some guy that's said to be one of the richest men in the world. This guy fully supports their war effort and offers them loads of gold, silver, food etc. Xerxes is really happy about this and grateful for the mans generosity. The guy just has one request: he's got 5 sons all of which are in Xerxes army, so he asks if just one of them can stay behind to help look after him and their lands because he's getting old. Xerxes KICKS OFF, is all like "The sheer insolence! How are you ask for such a thing!!!".

So Xerxes has the guys son killed, cuts him half, puts each half on the opposite side of the road, and has the army march between them.  What the hell was wrong with people?

10 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Am finally nearing the end of Herodotus; the Persians are now heading to Greece, to get their asses kicked by Gerard Butler and the bois. So here's another anecdote:

On the way to Greece, Xerxes (the king of Persia) and his army meet some guy that's said to be one of the richest men in the world. This guy fully supports their war effort and offers them loads of gold, silver, food etc. Xerxes is really happy about this and grateful for the mans generosity. The guy just has one request: he's got 5 sons all of which are in Xerxes army, so he asks if just one of them can stay behind to help look after him and their lands because he's getting old. Xerxes KICKS OFF, is all like "The sheer insolence! How are you ask for such a thing!!!".

So Xerxes has the guys son killed, cuts him half, puts each half on the opposite side of the road, and has the army march between them.  What the hell was wrong with people?

Yet when these people travelled to the "New World" (the Americas and Pacific) they called all us indigenous people savages 🙄

I read I'm Thinking Of Ending Things. What an absolute trip. Would definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys thrillers/horror.

Not updated this for a while and I have read a fair few

Finished my challenge with Killing the Beasts  by Chris Simms - This was a local author. The book was ok but probably wouldn't rush to read more. It ended kind of abruptly. 

The Cilka's Journey by Heather Morris. Interesting book For someone to go from a concentration camp to a gulag and survive is quite remarkable

Then James Acaster's classic scrapes - I had mistakenly started my previous book the day before my brother died and with the heavy subject matter and everything going on in my life I needed some light relief and this provided just that. 

Too Much and Never Enough: How my Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man by Mary Trump - Very interesting she clearly has very serious issues with her Grandfather and attempts to lay all the blame at his door. I personally don't entirely buy that I think Donald was loved by his Grandfather because he had the same genetic predispositions. I find the battle between nature and nurture a really interesting one but I don't buy that if you suffer abuse you will end up an abuser. I think that those inclined to want to break the cycle can. Nevertheless it was an interesting insight into how he became the man he did. 

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens - I'd seen a lot of hype about this so was both eager and concerned to read it but actually fair play it's a very good book. I thought the very ending a tiny bit weak but a very well crafted story.

Natives: Race and Class in the Ruins of Empire by Akala @Haan You are right this was a cracking read. Disturbed to read just how racist some teachers are and how their bias can ruin education for so many people. Would highly recommend reading this to anyone who has an interest in political writing and the BLM movement in particular. 

Kazuo Ishiguro was kind enough to do a wee reading and Q and A video call for us booksellers the other night and I am now very eagerly awaiting arrival of a copy of his new book Klara and the Sun. Treading somewhat on issues dealt with in Never Let Me Go it sounds fascinating and Ishiguro is always a joy to read.

30 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Natives: Race and Class in the Ruins of Empire by Akala @Haan You are right this was a cracking read. Disturbed to read just how racist some teachers are and how their bias can ruin education for so many people. Would highly recommend reading this to anyone who has an interest in political writing and the BLM movement in particular. 

Yeah, I really liked how he weaved his personal life with wider context/history, it showed how these things can effect society on a personal level. I also was very shocked at the Linford Christie chapter, something I was too young to experience first hand. 

29 minutes ago, Haan said:

Yeah, I really liked how he weaved his personal life with wider context/history, it showed how these things can effect society on a personal level. I also was very shocked at the Linford Christie chapter, something I was too young to experience first hand. 

Yes it brings home how early you are aware of difference etc as well. Touched on something my cousin and I talked about recently as she said she thought it was amazing that I had memories from a very early age of some of the problems in my family. She thought I would have accepted things as normal until I was much older and I said that kids spot difference far earlier than we give them credit for. 

I vaguely remember the Linford Christie lunchbox comments but yes the rest of it was new to me as well. 

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes it brings home how early you are aware of difference etc as well. Touched on something my cousin and I talked about recently as she said she thought it was amazing that I had memories from a very early age of some of the problems in my family. She thought I would have accepted things as normal until I was much older and I said that kids spot difference far earlier than we give them credit for. 

I vaguely remember the Linford Christie lunchbox comments but yes the rest of it was new to me as well. 

Oh yeah kids can be very perceptive. Hope things are okay with your fam now!

On 12/01/2021 at 10:46 AM, gigpusher said:

A book with a school subject in the title (e.g. English, History…)

Can recommend The Secret History by Donna Tartt if you've not read it. 

It's bizarre and well characterised and really went in a direction I didn't expect, really stayed with me for a while. 

6 minutes ago, On The Blend said:

It's bizarre and well characterised and really went in a direction I didn't expect, really stayed with me for a while. 

I've finished the challenge now but I'll add it to my wishlist. I put any suggestions on there and monitor it regularly for cheap deals 😄 

3 hours ago, On The Blend said:

I loved The Secret History. If you enjoyed that, you might want to check out 'If We Were Villains' by M.L.Rio - I didn't think it was as good as Secret History, and it's clearly influenced by it, but I still really enjoyed the atmosphere of both. 

10 hours ago, mcshed said:

Kazuo Ishiguro was kind enough to do a wee reading and Q and A video call for us booksellers the other night and I am now very eagerly awaiting arrival of a copy of his new book Klara and the Sun. Treading somewhat on issues dealt with in Never Let Me Go it sounds fascinating and Ishiguro is always a joy to read.

He was doing a Q&A on Goodreads the other day but I didn't watch. Never Let Me Go is such a weird book, I didn't hate it but it wasn't great. Think I actually preferred the film.

12 minutes ago, Bryanrebe said:

He was doing a Q&A on Goodreads the other day but I didn't watch. Never Let Me Go is such a weird book, I didn't hate it but it wasn't great. Think I actually preferred the film.

I enjoyed the book but definitely not something I've ever wanted to re-read.

When I was a student at the Uni of East Anglia (where Ishiguro did his creative writing MA) I went to a live-streamed Q&A with him when the film came out. We were watching from Norwich and someone in the audience where he was, in London, asked where his inspiration for the setting for a certain scene came from. Ishiguro said it was "from time spent on the bleak Norfolk coast" and the locals in our theatre were not amused! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I loved The Secret History. If you enjoyed that, you might want to check out 'If We Were Villains' by M.L.Rio - I didn't think it was as good as Secret History, and it's clearly influenced by it, but I still really enjoyed the atmosphere of both. 

I've not heard of that but I'll definitely look into it.

If it has an atmosphere reminiscent of The Secret History then I'm sure it's worth a read, whether it quite reaches that level or not. 

On 3/3/2021 at 10:07 AM, mcshed said:

I love the film The Remains of the Day but  my one time I ventured into reading his books really put me off. I read The Unconsoled. Just saw this on Wikipedia for it as I had to look it up to even remember the title and this is quite a good summation. 

The Unconsoled was described as a "sprawling, almost indecipherable 500-page work"[1] that "left readers and reviewers baffled".

I might read The Remains of The Day some time at least I know I like that story. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

I love the film The Remains of the Day but  my one time I ventured into reading his books really put me off. I read The Unconsoled. Just saw this on Wikipedia for it as I had to look it up to even remember the title and this is quite a good summation. 

The Unconsoled was described as a "sprawling, almost indecipherable 500-page work"[1] that "left readers and reviewers baffled".

I might read The Remains of The Day some time at least I know I like that story. 

You've just made me feel a lot better about the Unconsoled. I gave up on it (which i always hate doing) as I didnt have a clue what was going on. Good to hear that not all of it was me.

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

The Remains of the Day is certainly more accessible than The Unconsoled, and is also much better. Never Let Me Go is probably the easiest read if you just wanted to dip your toes in.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

The Remains of the Day is certainly more accessible than The Unconsoled, and is also much better. Never Let Me Go is probably the easiest read if you just wanted to dip your toes in.

I'll put it on my already huge to be read pile 😄