What are you reading?

WestCountryGirl

Well @Gilgamesh69 you're doing better than me 😅 

The Illiad is back on the shelf. I've got to read 6 more books before the end of the year to reach my target. Currently on "The Book of the Night Women" by Marlon James which is a very good book but also quite hard going. I've got a nice final 5 set up, suited to the time of year. Just can't wait to be off work over Christmas and have all the time just to read them.

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

To be fair in those times there wasn't as much stuff to do. Can't post on efests in the 19th century, so might as well make an elaborate revenge plan to pass the time 😅

I'm reading the Robin Waterfield translation. I have a habit of going for Oxford World's Classics editions as they're usually quite good with their notes and introductions. Have you read Thucydides as well? He's next on my list

Thucydides is a boring bastard, although admittedly he hasn't benefitted from a modern translation by a historian I really like to make me reappraise his work.

Realised I've been swotting up loads this year and only read one novel (and The Last Temptation of Christ wasn't exactly a laugh a minute). Fancy getting stuck in a really engaging thriller/crime novel for some escapism. Anyone recommend anything?

Something like A Simple a Plan, where they nick a bag of money and struggle to get away with it, which I remember finding really gripping.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simple-Plan-Scott-Smith/dp/0552163929

3 hours ago, Homer said:

Realised I've been swotting up loads this year and only read one novel (and The Last Temptation of Christ wasn't exactly a laugh a minute). Fancy getting stuck in a really engaging thriller/crime novel for some escapism. Anyone recommend anything?

Something like A Simple a Plan, where they nick a bag of money and struggle to get away with it, which I remember finding really gripping.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simple-Plan-Scott-Smith/dp/0552163929

In crime story type genre one of the ones that has stuck with me and I always recommend it to people is Val McDermid  - A Place of Execution. 

I have to say I like quite a lot of crime thrillers though. Other authors I like are Harlan Coben and Michael Connolly. They all have some stand alone books and their series with certain characters so you might be best looking for a stand alone one if it's not a usual genre for you. 

23 hours ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Recently finished 2001: A Space Odyssey, really impressed. Thought it supplemented the film incredibly well, excited to see where it goes in sequel books!

Going to start This Is Going To Hurt next, heard very positive things!

Mark Kermode said on the Wittertainment podcast only the other week that he only understands the end of 2001 because he subsequently read the novelisation, funnily enough.

I did it. I finished The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm glad I stuck with it but I don't think I can consider myself a fan! I read the unabridged version apparently the abridged version has 30 chapters less and doesn't suffer that much and I think that probably tells you a lot. There's a lot of unnecessary detail and I'll be honest I just found him a bit of a twat. I appreciate that it's written in a different time but the ending for me was just ew on all levels. 

I think I'll be going back to an easier read for a while. I'm definitely going to continue to try and read more but maybe 1 in 3 was ambitious perhaps 1 in 5 and maybe not such longs ones as this!  

On 11/30/2020 at 5:51 PM, Homer said:

It's a few years old but I really enjoyed I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. CIA intelligence counter-terrorism thriller type thing.

Apart from being pretty gripping stuff, I enjoyed it as it didn't just go down the road of America good terrorists bad like some of this stuff can.  There's some decent character development in it, and looks a bit at what drives people to do stuff as well.

In terms on non fiction, I read Hostile Environment: How Immigrants Became Scapegoats  by Maya Goodfellow recently. Really good stuff, I was thinking of reading Akala's book Natives next or The End Of Policing by Alex Vitale next. Has anyone read either? 

Edited by Haan

On 12/10/2020 at 11:36 AM, Haan said:

In terms on non fiction, I read Hostile Environment: How Immigrants Became Scapegoats  by Maya Goodfellow recently. Really good stuff, I was thinking of reading Akala's book Natives next or The End Of Policing by Alex Vitale next. Has anyone read either? 

Sorry not read them but Hostile Environment sounds interesting might add that to my list. After my hard slog through a classic I picked an easier read with Away with the Penguins which I have to say I quite enjoyed. Tonight I have just finished Lowborn: Growing Up, Getting Away and Returning to Britain's Poorest Towns. I'm not sure enjoyed is the right word about it but it was excellent chimed with my views and thoughts on poverty and trauma. 

I'm about to start my 60th book of the year but haven't yet decided what it will be. Haven't slept well for a few nights so might wait until tomorrow to decide. 

On 12/18/2020 at 10:31 PM, Quark said:

Reading Dune again.  Read it for the first time a couple of years ago, looking forward to taking a bit more time with it now I understand it a bit better from the first run!

I reread that recently too, on the expectation of seeing the movie roundabout now 😔

Not much of a reader but todays arrival is from our very own @grumpyhack so definately needs posting in this thread ... I will give my thoughts later , but can we get it up to bestseller 🙂

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Can-get-witness-Tales-time/dp/B08R31MZNN/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=peter+thomas+book&qid=1608818021&sr=8-1

IMG_8552.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2020 at 1:55 PM, crazyfool1 said:

Not much of a reader but todays arrival is from our very own @grumpyhack so definately needs posting in this thread ... I will give my thoughts later , but can we get it up to bestseller 🙂

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Can-get-witness-Tales-time/dp/B08R31MZNN/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=peter+thomas+book&qid=1608818021&sr=8-1

IMG_8552.jpeg

Thank you @crazyfool1 You have the advantage over me.  I haven't received a printed copy of my own yet so don't know what the finished product looks like.  It was fun putting it together, though it's frustrating that so many extra ideas came into my head after it had gone off to print.

Spurred on by exercising my little grey cells again I've now decided to work on producing a children's book aimed at kids of around five or six.  My own twin grandkids are five and live next to an area of Wetlands in Cardiff where they love going to feed the ducks.  So the idea is that I will write the book, probably only a couple of dozen pages long, and get them to illustrate it.  Originally it was to be a book for them but I thought it would be so much more fun if it could be a book by them.

Have a good and safe Christmas all and happy reading.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Thank you @crazyfool1 You have the advantage over me.  I haven't received a printed copy of my own yet so don't know what the finished product looks like.  It was fun putting it together, though it's frustrating that so many extra ideas came into my head after it had gone off to print.

Spurred on by exercising my little grey cells again I've now decided to work on producing a children's book aimed at kids of around five or six.  My own twin grandkids are five and live next to an area of Wetlands in Cardiff where they love going to feed the ducks.  So the idea is that I will write the book, probably only a couple of dozen pages long, and get them to illustrate it.  Originally it was to be a book for them but I thought it would be so much more fun if it could be a book by them.

Have a good and safe Christmas all and happy reading.

Hello grumpyhack,

I have yet to start on your 'hack' book, but will do so, as soon as I am able to.

I love the idea of your children's book, both for your grandchildren and by them also. how fab. 

I wrote a short children's book once. It was after visiting a mates house in my very early youth, and getting stoned and pissed there. When i finally got back to my parents house, I not only felt the urge to eat copious amounts, but also to write too. And what came out in a single one'er is that short children's book of mine. If it's OK with you, I'll send it over to you for you to have a read, if you so wish. It doesn't take long to read it. However, don't feel obliged. Life's getting in the way of me reading yours right now, so fiully understand any situation. It's a bizarre world that we are living in right now.

9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello grumpyhack,

I have yet to start on your 'hack' book, but will do so, as soon as I am able to.

I love the idea of your children's book, both for your grandchildren and by them also. how fab. 

I wrote a short children's book once. It was after visiting a mates house in my very early youth, and getting stoned and pissed there. When i finally got back to my parents house, I not only felt the urge to eat copious amounts, but also to write too. And what came out in a single one'er is that short children's book of mine. If it's OK with you, I'll send it over to you for you to have a read, if you so wish. It doesn't take long to read it. However, don't feel obliged. Life's getting in the way of me reading yours right now, so fiully understand any situation. It's a bizarre world that we are living in right now.

Thanks Yog,

I've had a quick read and have responded by e-mail.  I'm astonished how much you managed to write in a single sitting.  The drugs and booze must have been of the finest quality!  I really like the idea of telling the story of a cloud and reckon it's worth doing a bit of honing and polishing.  Like left overs from Christmas lunch, I reckon the flavour is enhanced by the following day and well worth a second sitting.

Good luck sorting family matters.  Take care and all the best for the New Year.

Grumpy.

• Upvote 1

I'm currently reading Duty of Care which is an NHS Doctor's book about the COVID Crisis. Genuinely in awe that anyone has managed to be a doctor in the NHS and write a book this year. Feeling like I have been slightly unproductive now! I haven't even gotten around to alphabetising my vinyl 😄 

Not Christmas gifts, but finally managed to collect some more books from my mum's house, including these classics!  @WestCountryGirl you're welcome to borrow if you like the look of any; the Oresteia is about Agamemnon's son so may be of interest. I've got more books but these are just the Greek/Roman ones

So, anyone here get any nice books for Christmas?

IMG_20201226_154713.jpg

2 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Thanks Yog,

I've had a quick read and have responded by e-mail.  I'm astonished how much you managed to write in a single sitting.  The drugs and booze must have been of the finest quality!  I really like the idea of telling the story of a cloud and reckon it's worth doing a bit of honing and polishing.  Like left overs from Christmas lunch, I reckon the flavour is enhanced by the following day and well worth a second sitting.

Good luck sorting family matters.  Take care and all the best for the New Year.

Grumpy.

Hello grumpy,

Yes, I was astonished too. It really did just all fall out of me. It was very much the case of not being able to write fast enough at the time. In an ideal world, I'd have learnt shorthand in my youth. I'd have liked that then and still would like to have that facility. However, I don't think that that'll happen now, as I'm far too lazy nowadays. Did you learn shorthand for your job as a hack?

39 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello grumpy,

Yes, I was astonished too. It really did just all fall out of me. It was very much the case of not being able to write fast enough at the time. In an ideal world, I'd have learnt shorthand in my youth. I'd have liked that then and still would like to have that facility. However, I don't think that that'll happen now, as I'm far too lazy nowadays. Did you learn shorthand for your job as a hack?

Yep Yog, I did Teeline  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teeline_Shorthand

It's nowhere near as good as Pitmans but much easier and quicker to learn.  You could probably get a book and do a bit of self-study.  It's based on the standard English alphabet and language.  The basic principles are cut out a lot of the vowels and simplify the writing of the letters.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Yep Yog, I did Teeline  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teeline_Shorthand

It's nowhere near as good as Pitmans but much easier and quicker to learn.  You could probably get a book and do a bit of self-study.  It's based on the standard English alphabet and language.  The basic principles are cut out a lot of the vowels and simplify the writing of the letters.

That's very kind  beautiful of you to suggest the 'Teeline' thing. However, I really have difficulty with memory now. Mind you, I'm not as bad as my mom. She asked me a few days ago what the name of my dad's wife was. Now, that's slack by anybody's standards!

Trying to 'blow' my mind more than normal, to get some respite. Now, you'd think that approach would be 'negative', but I don't think so.