What are you reading?

WestCountryGirl

8 hours ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Never been much of a reader but trying to get into it more. Thought a good place to start would be stuff I'm familiar with via film, so currently just over half way through Call Me By Your Name, 2001: A Space Odyssey and American Psycho up next

One flew over the cuckoo's nest by Ken Kesey is another great book & film. Borrowed it from my school library in 1981 and I still have it! 🙂

On 11/3/2020 at 11:06 AM, thrillhouse188 said:

Never been much of a reader but trying to get into it more. Thought a good place to start would be stuff I'm familiar with via film, so currently just over half way through Call Me By Your Name, 2001: A Space Odyssey and American Psycho up next

If you like the American Psycho film which I assume you do then you'll dig the book. The film really nailed the tone and feel of it. Down to the long rants about Huey Lewis etc.

Just finished Each and Every Time by Nick Blake:

"This is the story of Danny-Lee, Essex boy and ex Old Skool, Hardcore raver, who, settled and approaching mid-life, is suddenly thrown back into the world-altering hedonism of his young life in the early 1990s by an unexpected funeral and by the discovery of a box of forgotten memorabillia."

Some amazing descriptions of the sheer joy of raves in this, a really decent read all in all. 

1 hour ago, 1986 said:

If you like the American Psycho film which I assume you do then you'll dig the book. The film really nailed the tone and feel of it. Down to the long rants about Huey Lewis etc.

I watched it a long time ago but loved it, am due for a rewatch but will probably delay until after I've read the book

Also been lent a few books, 1984 in particular, best to start catching up with the classics!

I've read two absolutely brilliant books this week. Both about 250 pages long. One in one 3 hour sitting (a "small" 250 - large font, margins and line spacing) and another started yesterday and just finished. I just couldn't put either of them down.

First was "Starve Acre" by Andrew Michael Hurley. Little folk-horror tale set in British moorland which was just ideal for the Halloween weekend and exactly what I was looking for.

The second was "The Salt Path" by Raynor Winn. I've never been a huge fan of memoirs but this one just grabbed me, helped in no small part due to the setting being the South West Coast Path. It made me very homesick, but was so uplifting.

3 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

The second was "The Salt Path" by Raynor Winn. I've never been a huge fan of memoirs but this one just grabbed me, helped in no small part due to the setting being the South West Coast Path. It made me very homesick, but was so uplifting.

Ooh, this is on my pile to read, looking forward to it now 😀 

Just read My Name is Why by Lemn Sissay, would really recommend it to get a first hand account of the care system and his story growing up, plus it has a few of his poems in it at the end too.

Also just bought Peter Shapiro - Turn the Beat Around: The Secret History of Disco, has anyone read it? Hoping it is good (puts wooden hat on to shield from the anti Disco crew) :)

On the final night of my holiday in Northumberland and have managed to read a few books whilst I have been here. 

Firstly finished Dead Famous by Greg Jenner which I started before I came away. It was a very interesting read.

Went for a couple of lighter crime fiction after it though and read Run Away by Harlen Coben and Blood Orange by Harriet Tryce. Enjoyed Run Away more as some of the characters in Blood Orange were a bit annoying but it was actually a decent twist at the end which redeemed it a bit for me. 

I also read The First Time by Matt Everitt which is basically a write up of the interviews he has done on 6 Music enjoyed it though. 

Finally have read Jeremy Hardy Speaks Volumes : Words wit, wisdom, one liners and rants - If you like Jeremy Hardy and his politics you'll like it. A few of them are from Glastonbury. 

I have today just started my first classic. I have gone for The Count Of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. I'll be honest and admit that I picked it because for one of my book club challenges I needed to read a book by an author with the same initials as me and I just couldn't find any!! I expect it to take me a while!!

I'm looking forward to Ready Player Two by Ernest Cline, it's out next week (24th) - it'll be one I get for Christmas.

I have HUGE reading pile to get through so I should probably try to prioritise. 

I'm currently reading The Other People by CJ Tudor, but I've had it a while! 

I don't know if the powers that be are including graphic novels as reading, I do, and I've got an anticipated one in Nailbiter Returns by Josh Williamson to start soon.

On 11/18/2020 at 7:57 PM, SheffJeff said:

I find it slightly ironic that I initially misread this tweet. My initial reaction was 'No its not, I've been to Reading and its a shithole'.

:D 

Another great thing he is doing. So good to see someone famous using their power for good. 

Still reading The Count of Monte Cristo. Have to say Classics are a bit of slog. I reckon it will take me a couple of weeks to finish. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have started reading Herodotus' Histories. Read two little introductory texts beforehand; one on Ancient Greece and another on Herodotus himself. Just thought it would help with my understanding as it is over 2000 years old ha. He covers much of the ancient world (what they knew of at least), but the main focus is the Persian Wars which is pretty cool. @WestCountryGirlYou've really got me into a classics mood tbh!

@gigpusher How's your reading of  Count of Monte Cristo going? Enjoying it yet?

23 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Have started reading Herodotus' Histories. Read two little introductory texts beforehand; one on Ancient Greece and another on Herodotus himself. Just thought it would help with my understanding as it is over 2000 years old ha. He covers much of the ancient world (what they knew of at least), but the main focus is the Persian Wars which is pretty cool. @WestCountryGirlYou've really got me into a classics mood tbh!

Lol. I'm not, not enjoying it but it is a hard slog and I do think the man is an idiot :D. He'd already wasted enough of his life being wrongly imprisoned. I'm 60% through now. He's been out since about 25% and he is only just starting to do things that will get him his vengeance and I'm just thinking he's wasting the rest of his life getting to the point!! 

Suffice to say I'm more a get over it and move on sort of person. There's definitely a few plot holes for sure :D  

41 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Which translation of Herodotus are you reading? I really enjoyed Tom Holland's one from a few years ago whilst De Selincourt left me cold when I read it as a student. Holland felt much more readable but I don't know whether that's just because I'm older.

34 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Lol. I'm not, not enjoying it but it is a hard slog and I do think the man is an idiot :D. He'd already wasted enough of his life being wrongly imprisoned. I'm 60% through now. He's been out since about 25% and he is only just starting to do things that will get him his vengeance and I'm just thinking he's wasting the rest of his life getting to the point!! 

Suffice to say I'm more a get over it and move on sort of person. There's definitely a few plot holes for sure :D  

To be fair in those times there wasn't as much stuff to do. Can't post on efests in the 19th century, so might as well make an elaborate revenge plan to pass the time 😅

17 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Which translation of Herodotus are you reading? I really enjoyed Tom Holland's one from a few years ago whilst De Selincourt left me cold when I read it as a student. Holland felt much more readable but I don't know whether that's just because I'm older.

I'm reading the Robin Waterfield translation. I have a habit of going for Oxford World's Classics editions as they're usually quite good with their notes and introductions. Have you read Thucydides as well? He's next on my list

19 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

To be fair in those times there wasn't as much stuff to do. Can't post on efests in the 19th century, so might as well make an elaborate revenge plan to pass the time 😅

They also didn't have as long a life span and imagine spending a decade setting up an extravagant revenge plan only for them or you to die the day before you got to pull it off. 

He's also quite racist and sexist and proud of owning slaves so it's fair to say he doesn't have as much of my sympathy as perhaps was intended (and yes I appreciate it was different times!!)