What are you reading?

WestCountryGirl

24 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

What book was that? I've been thinking about going to study politics - or something similar - maybe next year tbh

It's this behemoth

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/254/25400/on-politics/9780140285185.html

It's very, very dry. Double whammy is that it's so heavy if you fall asleep reading it (which I've done) you really don't want to drop it on your face otherwise you'll break your nose :lol:

I wanted to start understanding politics more, but I definitely overreached myself as a first pass!

28 minutes ago, Quark said:

It's this behemoth

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/254/25400/on-politics/9780140285185.html

It's very, very dry. Double whammy is that it's so heavy if you fall asleep reading it (which I've done) you really don't want to drop it on your face otherwise you'll break your nose :lol:

I wanted to start understanding politics more, but I definitely overreached myself as a first pass!

Damn, yeah that does look like a heavy read.

Well, I haven't finished it yet myself, but  I recommend this book: "An Introduction to Political Philosophy" by Jonathan Wolff.  It doesn't go too deep but it's easy to read and covers the basic tenets of various political ideologies, the arguments for and against them, etc. Plenty of references throughout to help you find more to read, so it's a good "springboard"

Edited by Gilgamesh69

2 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Damn, yeah that does look like a heavy read.

Well, I haven't finished it yet myself, but  I recommend this book: "An Introduction to Political Philosophy" by Jonathan Wolff.  It doesn't go too deep but it's easy to read and covers the basic tenets of various political ideologies, the arguments for and against them, etc. Plenty of references throughout to help you find more to read, so it's a good "springboard"

Cheers, might give that a look.

I'll probably end up with the equivalent of Politics for Dummies! :lol:

23 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Well done! But ooof, wish I could even read half that in a year haha 😅

Hey it's more than I have read in many years myself. I am planning on trying to tackle a classic or 2 for the rest of the year as well. 

Does anyone have a favourite classic? 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Hey it's more than I have read in many years myself. I am planning on trying to tackle a classic or 2 for the rest of the year as well. 

Depending on what you class as a classic...

1984 every day of the week for me. Closely followed by Catch 22.

Edited by Quark

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Read the Epic of Gilgamesh! It's believed to be the oldest extant work of literature 🤓. Where I got my username from; the book was next to me when I made this account haha.

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

If you're a lefty, The ragged-trousered philanthropists by Robert Tressell is great.

Pretty much anything by Dickens.

As already mentioned, Catch 22 is my favourite book but it's a marmite read, some people really hate it.

Tried to start the KJ Bible but it's way too heavy, and apparently I need to read it with a commentary to understand it. So I'm gonna put that idea on the back-burner for now.

Instead I started The Mabinogion, which is a medieval collection of Welsh stories, passed down through the oral tradition. Based on Celtic mythology, Arthurian legend, etc 🤓

7 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Tried to start the KJ Bible but it's way too heavy, and apparently I need to read it with a commentary to understand it. So I'm gonna put that idea on the back-burner for now.

Instead I started The Mabinogion, which is a medieval collection of Welsh stories, passed down through the oral tradition. Based on Celtic mythology, Arthurian legend, etc 🤓

Spoiler: Pilate did it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Instead I started The Mabinogion

"In Ireland no one was left alive except for five pregnant women in a cave in the wilds of Ireland. Those five women, at exactly the same time, gave birth to five sons. And they reared those five sons until they were big lads, and their thoughts turned to woman, and they lusted after them. Then each lad slept promiscuously with each other's mother(...)"

Think I watched a video on the internet like that once 

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

very oddly, that's John Major's favourite book.

I think he missed the point. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Up there with Cameron's choice of Eton Rifles for DID

Always amazes me how many people do but then it's like those who say Glastonbury shouldn't be about politics :D Some people are takers and only take what they want from things and deliberately miss the rest. 

I only noticed this thread yesterday. I do wander around with my head in the clouds sometimes / most times.

Anyway, many will find it scandalous, but I haven't read a single book in the last 8 years. That this reflects the time that I have known my wife is no unusual coincidence. Anyway, I just thought I'd point out some great reads, as far as I'm concerened.

Bridge Across My Sorrows by Christina Noble - a very powerful, moving true story, and the only book to ever make me break out into tears.

Clear Waters Rising: A Mountain Walk Across Europe by Nicholas Crane. An amazing travelogue.

And for those who are just starting to read, here's the first book that I ever read;

Janet and John Book One | Oxfam GB | Oxfam's Online Shop