What are you reading?

WestCountryGirl

On 10/12/2020 at 9:14 PM, gigpusher said:

I really want to read that one, am hoping it comes down in price soon. I also just watched The Detectorists recently for the first time and loved it. 

Send or dm me your address and i'll post you my copy. I didnt really enjoy it. A little bit too twee and convenient in places but ahh what do i know.

10 hours ago, danmarks said:

Send or dm me your address and i'll post you my copy. I didnt really enjoy it. A little bit too twee and convenient in places but ahh what do i know.

Aw thanks but I have managed to get a copy in the meantime. I'll let you know what I think when I read it sometimes twee can be alright. At the moment life is stressful so a little bit of gentle escapism can be enough!! Currently quite enjoying Sara Cox's book for that reason as it mainly just remembers simpler times when we didn't need face masks and fear human contact!! 

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent this evening reading 'Greener Pastures' - a collection of short horror/weird fiction stories by Michael Wehunt.

It's not a genre I read a lot of, but I do enjoy getting thoroughly creeped out by a book, especially at this time of year.

This book has so succeeded in that vein that I've had to put it down for now 😂 for the last hour or so I've been laying on my couch, reading, and constantly having to look above/behind me to make sure some Slenderman-esque figure isn't hovering over me. Going to have to watch something funny before I go to bed!

12 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I've spent this evening reading 'Greener Pastures' - a collection of short horror/weird fiction stories by Michael Wehunt.

It's not a genre I read a lot of, but I do enjoy getting thoroughly creeped out by a book, especially at this time of year.

This book has so succeeded in that vein that I've had to put it down for now 😂 for the last hour or so I've been laying on my couch, reading, and constantly having to look above/behind me to make sure some Slenderman-esque figure isn't hovering over me. Going to have to watch something funny before I go to bed!

That sounds right up my street. Might check that out. Not cheap on Amazon though!

I finished Thursday Afternoon Murder Club and yes it's a bit twee etc but it was a nice read. Started Greg Jenner's Dead Famous now. That will take me a lot longer because more taxing and longer chapters. I have to say short chapters are one of my favourite things in a book!!

On 10/23/2020 at 11:00 PM, WestCountryGirl said:

Blimey - I'm in for this. 

Still working on Black and British. Enjoying it - just wish that Kindle % completed figure would move a little faster..

On 10/12/2020 at 10:47 PM, Radiochicken said:

Antkind - Charlie Kaufman

Completely bonkers

How is this? I love Kaufman as a screenwriter and would love to get this but I don't know I just picture his novel being really dense and tough. How are you finding it?

On 10/13/2020 at 10:18 AM, theesundayroast said:

Far less intellectual than many on the choices on here but I've been reading the new (Timothy Zahn) Thrawn trilogy to try and get back into the habit. I'd highly recommend for anyone who enjoys a bit of Star Wars, it's mostly removed from the main trilogies albeit a few characters and the appearance of Vader in book two. 

On 10/13/2020 at 12:26 PM, SwedgeAntilles said:

@theesundayroast @Quark if you're looking for a good Star Wars book I'd strongly recommend this, it's the best one I've read (and I include the Thrawn trilogy in that) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Plagueis-James-Luceno/dp/0099542641

He also did one on Tarkin which, albeit not as enjoyable as Plagueis, is still a good read.

I still have my hardback of Luceno's "Rise Of Darth Vader" which was a straight sequel to Sith. Don't think its canon anymore but loved it at the time. I read the first book in the Aftermath trilogy this year too which was fun, forget who wrote that.

The book I have picked up what feels like hundreds of times since buying it in a Goodwill shop on holiday in Chicago 2 bloody years ago is the unabridged version of King's The Stand. I am finally at a point where I think I might finish it in a week or two. I'll be glad to see the back of it but also looking forward re-visiting the 90s mini series that terrified me as a child, and then watching the new one that's out in December (I think). Might not be the best material in a real life pandemic mind.

If anyone has any good recs for novels about the history of film (good biographies, books on certain eras/movements, basically anything that isn't just a list of "must sees") or a good sci fi series to get stuck into let me know. I'm trying to get back into reading as well so even basic recs will probably do me good.

3 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

I recently watched Synecdoche, New York and it gave me an existential crisis haha, spectacular film

Great film (rest in piece PSH), have you seen his latest as well I'm Thinking Of Ending Things? One of the best films of the (albeit lean) year.

13 minutes ago, 1986 said:

How is this? I love Kaufman as a screenwriter and would love to get this but I don't know I just picture his novel being really dense and tough. How are you finding it?

I still have my hardback of Luceno's "Rise Of Darth Vader" which was a straight sequel to Sith. Don't think its canon anymore but loved it at the time. I read the first book in the Aftermath trilogy this year too which was fun, forget who wrote that.

The book I have picked up what feels like hundreds of times since buying it in a Goodwill shop on holiday in Chicago 2 bloody years ago is the unabridged version of King's The Stand. I am finally at a point where I think I might finish it in a week or two. I'll be glad to see the back of it but also looking forward re-visiting the 90s mini series that terrified me as a child, and then watching the new one that's out in December (I think). Might not be the best material in a real life pandemic mind.

If anyone has any good recs for novels about the history of film (good biographies, books on certain eras/movements, basically anything that isn't just a list of "must sees") or a good sci fi series to get stuck into let me know. I'm trying to get back into reading as well so even basic recs will probably do me good.

Those are exactly the two words I’d use to describe it!! The protagonist is almost written to be purposely annoying/unsympathetic. I think if you’re a fan, and kinda know what vibe to expect, I’d say go for it.

(but to be honest I’m only half way through, taking it slow, alongside an easier read for when I’m not the mood) 

9 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Great film (rest in piece PSH), have you seen his latest as well I'm Thinking Of Ending Things? One of the best films of the (albeit lean) year.

Over lockdown I've really started digging in to cinema more, including Paul Thomas Andersons entire filmography. I hadn't seen much of Hoffmans work before, so I've kind of gotten a delayed sadness that he's no longer with us. 

Yes to I'm Thinking of Ending Things as well, haven't watched many new films this year, but that and Saint Maud are the front runners off the top of my head! 

10 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I finally finished The Iliad! It's actually the first book I've finished since 2017 😬. Will probably read The Odyssey next year too. Not sure what to read next though; might start tackling the KJV Bible perhaps? 🧙‍♂️

@WestCountryGirl You need to catch up and finish it too! 😄

Bravo!!! I'm nearly halfway through Dead Famous which will be my 52nd book of the year! 

15 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I finally finished The Iliad! It's actually the first book I've finished since 2017 😬. Will probably read The Odyssey next year too. Not sure what to read next though; might start tackling the KJV Bible perhaps? 🧙‍♂️

@WestCountryGirl You need to catch up and finish it too! 😄

Excellent work! I really do need to get stuck in 😅 

Have you actually enjoyed reading it? 

14 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Excellent work! I really do need to get stuck in 😅 

Have you actually enjoyed reading it? 

I have yeah! It did seem a little repetitive at times, but maybe thats the point. There's probably a lot of stuff I missed on the first read too, and I'm not the best at understanding poetry either. I started off small - only reading abut 20 pages a day- but gradually I increased it,  til yesterday I read 150~ pages  💪

Disappointed at two of the most iconic things from The Trojan War legend not being in it though 🙄

I'd definitely recommend perhaps trying a different version though, if you've been struggling with the one you have. 

Finished this last night. Petered out a bit, and prob the worst of the three Ronsons I've read, but was still a decent, easy read and felt quite timely as a forerunner to QAnon, etc, despite being 20 years old.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Them-Adventures-Extremists-Jon-Ronson/dp/0330375466

Now deciding what to read next. Might do a novel for a change - possibly Stewart Lee's.

Admitted defeat with the politics book. It's just too heavy for a beginner in the field, more like reading a textbook than anything else.  I might dip into it to understand more about particular schools of thought, but no way I'm going to read the damn thing properly.

So moved on to reading a book called Darkness Descending by a guy called Ken Jones.  Ex-special forces, it's an account of how he got caught in an avalanche in the Romanian Alps, dragged himself back to civilisation with pretty much everything broken, and his recovery thereafter.

Particularly interesting as I've met him! He subsequently went on to set up and continues to run the Fan Dance race event in the Brecons, which is the stupid SAS one I've done for the last couple of years in January.

It is, unsurprisingly, pretty brutal reading. Might need something a bit lighter when I finish it!

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Admitted defeat with the politics book. It's just too heavy for a beginner in the field, more like reading a textbook than anything else.  I might dip into it to understand more about particular schools of thought, but no way I'm going to read the damn thing properly.

What book was that? I've been thinking about going to study politics - or something similar - maybe next year tbh