Will pushing the 2021 exam season back affect Glastonbury plans

Lycra

Today the education Secretary announced next the exam season will be put back 3 weeks 2021 with the effect it will now coincide with Glastonbury. This may affect the plans of many parents and, in particular, A level students who see the festival as a reward for their endeavours. Will this affect your plans?

Just now, Lycra said:

Today the education Secretary announced next the exam season will be put back 3 weeks 2021 with the effect it will now coincide with Glastonbury. This may affect the plans of many parents and, in particular, A level students who see the festival as a reward for their endeavours. Will this affect your plans?

no as ive not got kids .... but posted this in the when will this shit end thread at almost the same time .... are you watching the bbc news by any chance ? 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

no as ive not got kids .... but posted this in the when will this shit end thread at almost the same time .... are you watching the bbc news by any chance ? 

Just came up on the BBC website and thought that's buggered it for quite a few people.

Yes, it will affect our family - have youngest doing A-levels.

There's little chance of us going now, so it looks like our tickets will be probably be back in the pool.  But I'm going to wait until last minute just in case the festival is delayed until next year again and there's another rollover.  They may not make a decision on it going ahead until March, so perhaps I'll just leave it and see what happens - if I lose 100 quid on ticket admin charges, it's not going to kill me.

Going to look at the new exam timetable in detail just in case we can still go to Glastonbury, but there's no way I'm going to do anything to diminish my son's chances of doing the best he can.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, cheakypeak said:

Yes, it will affect our family - have youngest doing A-levels.

There's little chance of us going now, so it looks like our tickets will be probably be back in the pool.  But I'm going to wait until last minute just in case the festival is delayed until next year again and there's another rollover.  They may not make a decision on it going ahead until March, so perhaps I'll just leave it and see what happens - if I lose 100 quid on ticket admin charges, it's not going to kill me.

Going to look at the new exam timetable in detail just in case we can still go to Glastonbury, but there's no way I'm going to do anything to diminish my son's chances of doing the best he can.  

Good on you, man. 

Having just checked the original provisional dates, if the exam board my school uses in my subject goes for a straightforward 3 week push back then I’d be looking at my students taking an exam on the Monday after Glastonbury, then another on the Wednesday. 
The other 2 exams would be out of the way a week before the festival. 
However, as I teach a core subject, there’s been some suggestion the rearranging may not be as simple as pushing everything back. There’s talk of moving half the exams in my subject to the start of the series and holding them before the May half term, so students who get ill will at least be more likely to have sat an exam. 

• 2 weeks later...

The exam board my school uses has announced its provisional GCSE dates and the good news is in my subject the final exam is the Monday BEFORE Glastonbury, so getting time off will be easier! 

For GCSE exams do run in the week after Glastonbury, i.e. from June 28th to July 2nd. 

The A level exam series finishes on Glastonbury Friday. Bad news if you have a ticket and are studying A level psychology: 

49A3C022-A789-4D02-A7B9-1BD909F8CAB4.jpeg

5 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

The A level exam series finishes on Glastonbury Friday. Bad news if you have a ticket and are studying A level psychology: 

My son is doing Business and Psychology - and apparently he's now too old to be put up for adoption so I'll have to be the responsible parent and not go (Not that I think 2021 GF is going to happen).

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Glastonbury is possible from Friday to Sunday .... many people do that ... it’s of course how much the other days mean to you if we do get it 

That is true and is something I hadn't really considered yet .  A shorter GF would be preferable to sitting at home sulking about not being there.

18 minutes ago, cheakypeak said:

My son is doing Business and Psychology - and apparently he's now too old to be put up for adoption so I'll have to be the responsible parent and not go (Not that I think 2021 GF is going to happen).

Looks like those are AQA's dates, maybe other exam boards will have them on different days 🤞

I have just gone back, doing a masters in renewable energy. It is fair to say I am a little concerned at present. I may just take one unit in the second semester, then I will only have one exam to do next summer.

The way my luck has gone over the last few years, I should put money on any exam being the  Friday of Glasto. I suppose Loughborough is on the way from Manchester to Glastonbury.

1 minute ago, Simsy said:

Looks like those are AQA's dates, maybe other exam boards will have them on different days 🤞

I was clinging onto that hope 🙂 but checked a couple of other exam boards and all the dates aligned (for those subjects which affect us).  I would have been surprised if they didn't match up.

This would have been our first GF so I wanted the full experience.  However, I'd 100% rather it go on without us than not go on at all in 2021.  If GF is going ahead, then other festivals/gigs will be too and we'll spend our money on those instead (Green Man for starters).