Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

Welliwonder

Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0  

352 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

• Yes, and it will be business as usual.
    • Yes, with some minor requirements (hygiene warnings, extra hand gel).
    • Yes, with some moderate/major requirements (face masks, distancing, temperature checks, testing).
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too prevalent and mass gatherings will still be banned.
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too much of a risk and the organisers will choose not to go ahead.
    • No, for another reason.
    • I can't even guess.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I thought they'd OK'd events with 5,000 a little while back? Have they reduced it downwards again? And have there been many infections reported from the events they've had?

Personally I don't think there's any greater risk between 5,000 (or 1,000) than there is 100,000. It's not like an infected person is going to infect everyone on site. They'd only come into longer-term contact with maybe 50 people over a weekend.

Of course, a bigger event is likely to have more infected people who each infect others - so there'd be more infections from a bigger event - but it would still be the case that it'd be a smallish number who each infected person passed it on to (with incubation-time too long for those newly-infected to infect others), and those infected people are likely to be infecting others if they weren't at Glastonbury.

Oh it might be 5,000 then. 

If mask wearing is still necessary I don't see that necessarily as a barrier to an event going ahead. Tbh I see it as one if the mitigations that might be required to allow it to happen.

If you're only coming into code contact with 50 people and you're wearing a mask around them that reduces exposure to like 10 people at risk. 

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I agree with your general point, but you're slightly inaccurate with the above.

The requirement is that a festival is able to meet the measures in place at the time of the festival, not the measures in place (say) 3 months before the festival.

that's a subtle difference and might require a big gamble by any festival - but it doesn't mean that Glastonbury need to be making plans for mask wearing & social distancing to proceed with organising their festival.

True, but there comes a crucial point in the decision making process when GFL must ask whether it can proceed on the basis of what restrictions are in place and the likelihood of them still being in place come June 2021. GFL announced on 18th March this year the 2020 festival was cancelled, a decision that predated the lockdown announcement of March 23. They cancelled unwilling to take the risk. And remember the original lockdown was due to be over long before the festival date itself. Why should we not expect similar this year?

Businesses need certainty. They can't plough money in on uncertain gambles unless they've very deep pockets to stand the loss.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I'm less positive today. 

I read a piece yesterday with the person who'll be in charge of the vaccine roll-out, who suggested that face masks will be required until 2022. :( 

Of course, that's a medical view on things - and the medical view isn't given priority now, so might not be when a vaccine starts getting rolled out. But what was being said seemed as valid as other takes on it. 

But that sort of timescale has always been the case and possibly even longer. Face coverings are a small part of the measures and they depend on prevailing conditions and that is likely to be a moveable feast and at the moment there is no certainty whatsoever.

All the planning has been for a wide range of measures to be implemented when and where appropriate and depending on the situation at the time - might be distancing, might be restriction of gatherings, might be NTE curfews as well as all the other available measures. 

Vaccines may or may not be available as part of a range of treatments and prophylactic measures, along with greater  knowledge on how to treat and manage the disease itself, but some sort of measures will be maintained for a long time yet. An initial two years has always been the case.

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

but social distancing is mandated. If masks are required until 2022, that also implies that social distancing will be too. :( 

Not necessarily.  Mask wearing is a small thing to mandate which most people adhere to. Few things would be prevented from happening with mask wearing, whereas with social distancing, they'll want to remove that asap

I also personally think getting compliance post vaccine will be virtually impossible. People will act like its over

Edited by zahidf

22 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I also personally think getting compliance post vaccine will be virtually impossible. People will act like its over

And of course not everyone will be getting the vaccination. It's going to be similar numbers to the now increased flu jab eligibility. Hopefully, by June, a large proportion (if not all) of them will have received the jabs. So we might get to go to Glastonbury, but one where we have to wear masks as the virus is still out there, but has much fewer people to spread to because so many will by then have the antibodies, one way or another.

4 hours ago, Lycra said:

True, but there comes a crucial point in the decision making process when GFL must ask whether it can proceed on the basis of what restrictions are in place and the likelihood of them still being in place come June 2021. GFL announced on 18th March this year the 2020 festival was cancelled, a decision that predated the lockdown announcement of March 23. They cancelled unwilling to take the risk. And remember the original lockdown was due to be over long before the festival date itself. Why should we not expect similar this year?

Businesses need certainty. They can't plough money in on uncertain gambles unless they've very deep pockets to stand the loss.

That wasn’t really what happened, they cancelled because they had no choice irrespective of not being in lockdown at that point. The government withdrew emergency services support for large events and hence they became impossible to host by proxy. They would’ve had to have cancelled eventually anyway, but they cancelled at the point it was clear that it was going to be impossible to host it.

The situation next March is likely to be entirely different to last March. Obviously the virus had been circulating for a couple of months before we even knew what was happening and lockdown happened to bring it under control. We’ll probably be in the exact opposite position next March, coming down the hill after a long winter not going up it like we were on March this year.

19 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

That wasn’t really what happened, they cancelled because they had no choice irrespective of not being in lockdown at that point. The government withdrew emergency services support for large events and hence they became impossible to host by proxy. They would’ve had to have cancelled eventually anyway, but they cancelled at the point it was clear that it was going to be impossible to host it.

The situation next March is likely to be entirely different to last March. Obviously the virus had been circulating for a couple of months before we even knew what was happening and lockdown happened to bring it under control. We’ll probably be in the exact opposite position next March, coming down the hill after a long winter not going up it like we were on March this year.

We all hope it will be very different come March and events can start to go ahead. The probability is however we will still be under some form of control that limit events & event planning, be it festivals, sporting events etc

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

We all hope it will be very different come March and events can start to go ahead. The probability is however we will still be under some form of control that limit events & event planning, be it festivals, sporting events etc

I agree I still think it’s unlikely, I just think the circumstances between this March and next March are likely to be very different. They more than likely knew it wouldn’t be going ahead when the poster dropped, but didn’t really have any choice but to pretend it was until such time it became completely unviable. 

Would masks at the festival be that weird? If there’s a vaccine about I do agree compliance may be down - but events across Europe have already shown that crowds with masks is a possibility. 

I’d happily wear a mask at Glastonbury if it means the festival can go ahead. Il start thinking of some funky custom ones I can get. I also think the vast population have got to used to wearing one now. It wouldn’t be that unforeseeable.

Edited by Matt42

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Would masks at the festival be that weird? If there’s a vaccine about I do agree compliance may be down - but events across Europe have already shown that crowds with masks is a possibility. 

I’d happily wear a mask at Glastonbury if it means the festival can go ahead. Il start thinking of some funky custom ones I can get. I also think the vast population have got to used to wearing one now. It wouldn’t be that unforeseeable.

Fancy dress is common attire at any festival, I doubt any face coverings would dampen anyone’s appetite to attend 

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The only people really suffering with having to wear face coverings are ventriloquists.

18 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’d be be pretty hard to enforce mandatory masks in reality. My local Tesco struggles to get everyone to wear one, let alone a festival with minimal security/police presence and 200k+ punters running around.

I wouldn’t wear one, but mainly because 90% of the time I’ve got a drink in my hand.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’d be be pretty hard to enforce mandatory masks in reality. My local Tesco struggles to get everyone to wear one, let alone a festival with minimal security/police presence and 200k+ punters running around.

I wouldn’t wear one, but mainly because 90% of the time I’ve got a drink in my hand.

I mean - even if it was more of a “dont pee on the land” kinda thing? Take your tent home etc?

I’d say all of those things (at times) can be more challenging than wearing a mask. So I feel like if any crowd is going to be respectful and compliant it’s the glasto crowd.

47 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Definitely be less worried about appearing in the BBC crowd shots at the chemical brothers if I've a face covering on...

Ye I’m already planning outfits

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

Ever the optimist!

not sure about ever .... but mostly :) ..... im in the 55/45 its happening at the moment ..... far  from a done deal in my head but until we get the decision I air on the positive as I need something to see me through the winter .... 

4 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

It’s good to have hope, currently I've lost all of mine. 

Pretty much my thoughts this evening. I think a lot of it is down to the fact Wales is about to go back into lockdown, because I work in the beer industry I’m likely to be furloughed again... just feels like a massive step backwards again.

Completely understand why they’re doing it and it was always expected around winter time but struggling to see an end in sight at the moment.