Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

Welliwonder

Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0  

352 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

• Yes, and it will be business as usual.
    • Yes, with some minor requirements (hygiene warnings, extra hand gel).
    • Yes, with some moderate/major requirements (face masks, distancing, temperature checks, testing).
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too prevalent and mass gatherings will still be banned.
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too much of a risk and the organisers will choose not to go ahead.
    • No, for another reason.
    • I can't even guess.

7 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

This is what concerns me. So many areas of the festival are completely rammed. 

Can't see how testing and a few people having been vaccinated is going to prevent a potential disaster especially as the event is five days and nights.

I don't think the risks are huge because I reckon any person is only going to come into meaningful contact with around 100 others during the festival - so if there's a superspreader at the festival, they're not going to infect everyone.

And if the vaccine is rolled out to some degree and if there's testing somehow, the risks are reduced further. And those raving tory MPs are going to be against continuing measures.

I think festivals in June is probably going to be doable from a covid point of view, but whether the festival will get strong enough word long in advance to be confident for June is another thing.

I really don't get the attitude of the person who restarted this thread. 

Coming onto a festival forum and resurrecting a thread to essentially say you have absolutely no chance of going next year stop even dreaming. 

What's the point? 

We all know there are huge risks and it's probably not going to happen but not even Chris fucking Whitty knows for sure. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Coming onto a festival forum and resurrecting a thread to essentially say you have absolutely no chance of going next year stop even dreaming. 

What's the point?

If anything I think it's a good reminder of how rapidly the situation has been changing over the past few months, and between now and the spring/summer there's going to be lots of potentially really encouraging new moves forward.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

It's important to remember we now know outdoor transmission is very, very low too and this'll play into a lot of decision making. This is something we had no idea about earlier this year.

Not when you have 250,000 people in a field all pissed up squashed together and singing (essentially spitting on each other).

People from all corners of the globe flying in sharing dirty tents, campervans, bottles of booze, spliffs...

There also aren't many decent acts around touring to play it. 

56 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Not when you have 250,000 people in a field all pissed up squashed together and singing (essentially spitting on each other).

People from all corners of the globe flying in sharing dirty tents, campervans, bottles of booze, spliffs...

My friend runs a church and singing is the main issue there

21 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Also people like to conveniently forget about all the indoor / tented stages... theres probably not going to be an operable nyc downlow if theres a 2021 festival. Surely. 

What about the Q ing to get to the  Late Night areas around the railway track , that in the past have been somewhat crowded ?

The socially distanced Q will now start at my tent in Big Ground !

Edited by ivan

12 minutes ago, ivan said:

What about the Q ing to get to the  Late Night areas around the railway track , that in the past have been somewhat crowded ?

The socially distanced Q will now start at my tent in Big Ground !

I genuinely don't remember any queuing for SE Corner last year. The changes they made must have worked, admittedly I didn't even try to go on the Thursday

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

The weather is going to be fantastic though. 

Even if the government's worst case scenario is all over 50s vaccinated by April then there's no way that we'll not see a pretty much normal outdoor summer season including festivals. The resistance to this lockdown seems to be a lot higher, and there's going to be one more at least you'd think after Xmas. If the vulnerable have been vaccinated then there's no way the majority of people will want to see social distancing, rule of six etc outside during the summer.

53 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Even if the government's worst case scenario is all over 50s vaccinated by April then there's no way that we'll not see a pretty much normal outdoor summer season including festivals. The resistance to this lockdown seems to be a lot higher, and there's going to be one more at least you'd think after Xmas. If the vulnerable have been vaccinated then there's no way the majority of people will want to see social distancing, rule of six etc outside during the summer.

Yep, but for Glastonbury the deal breaker is whether or not they can be confident enough to decide go in time. 

I'm now starting to think that it might actually be a goer next year. Ridiculous me saying that as yesterday I'd have said unlikely.

Don't anyone get excited by this, clearly my mind changes like the wind and TBH I actually haven't a clue but hey...fingers crossed.

53 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Yep, but for Glastonbury the deal breaker is whether or not they can be confident enough to decide go in time.

There is a third possible scenario if they get to the point of no return (whenever that is) but are not yet able to be confident enough to go ahead at their own risk - if the government were to agree to underwrite some form of event cancellation insurance. I've heard a scheme along those lines mentioned as a possibility a couple of times now, but I've got no idea if it's just wishful thinking from promoters or something that would actually be considered.

9 hours ago, incident said:

if the government were to agree to underwrite some form of event cancellation insurance.

that's something the govt would only do if they had full confidence in the govts plans to allow events to go ahead.

Cos otherwise, from a govt 'business' point of view, it's either a full loss or a full profit (and without profits from other insurance business to help cover losses, as an insurance company would have).

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

that's something the govt would only do if they had full confidence in the govts plans to allow events to go ahead.

Cos otherwise, from a govt 'business' point of view, it's either a full loss or a full profit (and without profits from other insurance business to help cover losses, as an insurance company would have).

Coincidentally, the main man at Bearded Theory (who always seems to be one of the most honest, open, and communicative promoters) has posted an update covering this their Facebook group this morning -

image.png.797a38829ea8ee5edbbc207a233f64d0.png

So clearly they're not there yet, but it sounds like the potential for a viable scheme does exist. Pretty much rules out an on site testing based approach as well.

On 11/20/2020 at 12:42 PM, Leyrulion said:

What's the point? 

We all know there are huge risks and it's probably not going to happen but not even Chris fucking Whitty knows for sure. 

These people always apologise as well, like their completely inconsequential take on the subject is utterly definitive and their decision is final.

• Upvote 1