Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

Welliwonder

Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0  

352 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

• Yes, and it will be business as usual.
    • Yes, with some minor requirements (hygiene warnings, extra hand gel).
    • Yes, with some moderate/major requirements (face masks, distancing, temperature checks, testing).
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too prevalent and mass gatherings will still be banned.
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too much of a risk and the organisers will choose not to go ahead.
    • No, for another reason.
    • I can't even guess.

11 hours ago, Copperface said:

Just had time to read the full transcript of Patrick Vallance's evidence to Committee; it's a honest scientific appraisal. One which projects covid will not go away any time soon just because vaccines start to be rolled out. It will be a gradual process.

On 10/18/2020 at 9:42 AM, Matt42 said:

Would masks at the festival be that weird? If there’s a vaccine about I do agree compliance may be down - but events across Europe have already shown that crowds with masks is a possibility. 

I’d happily wear a mask at Glastonbury if it means the festival can go ahead. Il start thinking of some funky custom ones I can get. I also think the vast population have got to used to wearing one now. It wouldn’t be that unforeseeable.

Not weird at all. The last 5 - 7 years of Coachella have gotten more and more dust filled so having some type of face covering is pretty much required unless you want to come back with the “Coachella Flu” as we have gotten to call it. And wearing a mask/covering in 100 degree heat is much different than  Glastonbury being easily 30 degrees cooler on average. 

3 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Just had time to read the full transcript of Patrick Vallance's evidence to Committee; it's a honest scientific appraisal. One which projects covid will not go away any time soon just because vaccines start to be rolled out. It will be a gradual process.

You probably know more about this than the rest of us. Do you think rules can be relaxed (either completely or somewhat relaxed) once the vaccine has been rolled out to the vulnerable and key workers? Or are we stuck with social distancing for 3 years?

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

You probably know more about this than the rest of us. Do you think rules can be relaxed (either completely or somewhat relaxed) once the vaccine has been rolled out to the vulnerable and key workers? Or are we stuck with social distancing for 3 years?

I certainly don't expect social distancing for the next 3yrs. It's all going to be led by the amount of corona virus circulating and its' impact on health & society. Vaccine roll out will hopefully prove  effective, as measured by a decline in the daily number of Covid infections & deaths. At some point this will be significant enough for government to begin to relax restrictions, like it did this summer. Personally I think mass gatherings, sporting crowds etc are out until end 2021Q1 at earliest, with a gradual phased reintroduction thereafter with social distancing. Such gatherings will be sized limited as before. It is difficult to see football getting back to full stadia this season.

These are my best guesses based on the scientific projection of events going with a fair wind, but unwanted events, foreseen or otherwise, could blow everything off track. The worst fears amongst the scientific community is that the first vaccines appearing are not as good as they promised in trials. This can and does happen. I've seen reports that the Pfizer & AstraZenica vaccine prompt up to 90% of people receiving them to produce antibodies to Coronavirus. Whilst statistically significant in Phase III trails this may not be the case when the vaccines are rolled out to the general population. Nor do we as yet know how long these antibodies will last. These are important questions which only time will answer. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Not weird at all. The last 5 - 7 years of Coachella have gotten more and more dust filled so having some type of face covering is pretty much required unless you want to come back with the “Coachella Flu” as we have gotten to call it. And wearing a mask/covering in 100 degree heat is much different than  Glastonbury being easily 30 degrees cooler on average. 

Same with Sziget in Budapest. The dust there is a bigger hazard than anything Glastonbury has to deal with. People wearing masks there is normal. 

14 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Same with Sziget in Budapest. The dust there is a bigger hazard than anything Glastonbury has to deal with. People wearing masks there is normal. 

Is it? How many people wear masks at Sziget? I've been to 5 szigets and can't remember people wearing masks.

54 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Timing is pants for end of June - so many variables involved. Pity they've ruled out a September move - things should be way more predictable by then?

Yes but my wedding is then and it'd be a shame for it to be delayed again....

(Praying the fiancé isn't on here :ph34r:)

• Upvote 3

On 10/20/2020 at 10:02 AM, Lycra said:

I certainly don't expect social distancing for the next 3yrs. It's all going to be led by the amount of corona virus circulating and its' impact on health & society. Vaccine roll out will hopefully prove  effective, as measured by a decline in the daily number of Covid infections & deaths. At some point this will be significant enough for government to begin to relax restrictions, like it did this summer. Personally I think mass gatherings, sporting crowds etc are out until end 2021Q1 at earliest, with a gradual phased reintroduction thereafter with social distancing. Such gatherings will be sized limited as before. It is difficult to see football getting back to full stadia this season.

These are my best guesses based on the scientific projection of events going with a fair wind, but unwanted events, foreseen or otherwise, could blow everything off track. The worst fears amongst the scientific community is that the first vaccines appearing are not as good as they promised in trials. This can and does happen. I've seen reports that the Pfizer & AstraZenica vaccine prompt up to 90% of people receiving them to produce antibodies to Coronavirus. Whilst statistically significant in Phase III trails this may not be the case when the vaccines are rolled out to the general population. Nor do we as yet know how long these antibodies will last. These are important questions which only time will answer. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/21/covid-vaccine-immunisation-protection

3 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Any news from the talk with Michael? 

not so much ... the host skipped around the tough questions ... ive posted a video in the book review thread of the last 20 mins ... the only enlightening thing was that he asked himself the question about if they could test 200,000 people 3 x .... but didnt answer it ... sounds like its something that has been explored though ...

• 4 weeks later...

I was here in early March saying there was no chance of 2020 going ahead and many positive but unrealistic folk didn’t agree. 

I’m here now saying there is zero chance of any major festival or gathering going ahead in 2021. It gives me zero joy to think it much less write it but it is completely obvious now, I think.

As it stands the only way the Tokyo Olympics rescheduled to next summer can go ahead is without spectators IMHO and then they would likely need every athlete and official to have some form of vaccination certificate. It’s likely they will announce something quite soon on Tokyo 2021 and, when they do you can take that as an indication of what will happen with Glasto. 

Viewed in this light I think we are looking at Glastonbury 2022. But I’m confident it can go ahead by then as most of the U.K. population is likely to be vaccinated. Might want the unvaccinated to watch it on the TV though as vaccines are not 100%.

2 minutes ago, Breeze said:

It’s likely they will announce something quite soon on Tokyo 2021 and, when they do you can take that as an indication of what will happen with Glasto. 

I'd say you're wrong with that.

Japan has a very different (zero covid) approach to the UK, so what Japan might do isn't an indicator for what the UK will do.

My tuppence. June 2021 likely to come too early. Vaccines shouldnt be needed as under 50s wont be getting it but mass rapid testing is essential and if we dont have that then no big events can happen. Attendees should be able to prove negative test 24-48 hrs prior to entry. 
if there isnt a way to facilitate the above there wont be any festivals that dont require social distancing which of course isnt really a festival

6 minutes ago, Breeze said:

I was here in early March saying there was no chance of 2020 going ahead and many positive but unrealistic folk didn’t agree. 

I’m here now saying there is zero chance of any major festival or gathering going ahead in 2021. It gives me zero joy to think it much less write it but it is completely obvious now, I think.

As it stands the only way the Tokyo Olympics rescheduled to next summer can go ahead is without spectators IMHO and then they would likely need every athlete and official to have some form of vaccination certificate. It’s likely they will announce something quite soon on Tokyo 2021 and, when they do you can take that as an indication of what will happen with Glasto. 

Viewed in this light I think we are looking at Glastonbury 2022. But I’m confident it can go ahead by then as most of the U.K. population is likely to be vaccinated. Might want the unvaccinated to watch it on the TV though as vaccines are not 100%.

I'm not 100% that Glastonbury will go ahead this year (I'm in the camp of it *probably* will, but far from a done deal yet - I don't have a ticket so not my major concern at the moment either). But I'm wondering why you are so certain it won't when most people are feeling a lot more positive?

I think the Olympics are aiming to have spectators aren't they? The two events are so different anyway that I can't see how means much for Glastonbury.

There's never been any suggestion that the entire population needs to be vaccinated (and definitely not by June next year). Aim is for vulnerable and health workers to make it easier to deal with and take pressure off the NHS. Once that is done restrictions will be eased. They have to for the economy really.

I don't think all social distancing and masks restrictions will be gone by June but I can see events like Glastonbury going ahead at punters' own risk. Not definite, but a high chance I would say.

2 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

My tuppence. June 2021 likely to come too early. Vaccines shouldnt be needed as under 50s wont be getting it but mass rapid testing is essential and if we dont have that then no big events can happen. Attendees should be able to prove negative test 24-48 hrs prior to entry. 
if there isnt a way to facilitate the above there wont be any festivals that dont require social distancing which of course isnt really a festival

Why is rapid testing essential if the vulnerable are vaccinated, though?