Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

Welliwonder

Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0  

352 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

• Yes, and it will be business as usual.
    • Yes, with some minor requirements (hygiene warnings, extra hand gel).
    • Yes, with some moderate/major requirements (face masks, distancing, temperature checks, testing).
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too prevalent and mass gatherings will still be banned.
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too much of a risk and the organisers will choose not to go ahead.
    • No, for another reason.
    • I can't even guess.

16 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Would masks at the festival be that weird? If there’s a vaccine about I do agree compliance may be down - but events across Europe have already shown that crowds with masks is a possibility. 

I’d happily wear a mask at Glastonbury if it means the festival can go ahead. Il start thinking of some funky custom ones I can get. I also think the vast population have got to used to wearing one now. It wouldn’t be that unforeseeable.

To be clear - I make sure I always wear a mask when I'm out and about and have worn them way before the government admitted they could be useful - but yeah, it would be really weird.  I do not want to wear one at Glastonbury.  Meaning, I really, really hope they're not going to be needed to keep the virus down.

2 hours ago, Kusy said:

Let's take that the vaccine is being rolled out. The gov says that mass gatherings will be allowed to run from x.x date. But the covid cased don't stop. The'll shut everything once again. It's just a snap to enforce a ban for gatherings/festivals. 

Big concerts will be back Q4 2021 or 2022

Those timeframes feel about right to me on current information.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

To be clear - I make sure I always wear a mask when I'm out and about and have worn them way before the government admitted they could be useful - but yeah, it would be really weird.  I do not want to wear one at Glastonbury.  Meaning, I really, really hope they're not going to be needed to keep the virus down.

Agree completely with this.  I always wear my mask when out, but would not be happy at all to wear one at Glastonbury for 5 days.  If it does go ahead, but with mandatory masks, I think I would be returning my tickets

Just now, circus92 said:

Agree completely with this.  I always wear my mask when out, but would not be happy at all to wear one at Glastonbury for 5 days.  If it does go ahead, but with mandatory masks, I think I would be returning my tickets

Or holding on to them for the next one fingers crossed ... masks would not be a very fun experience either for me ... seeing people smile is very much part of the glastonbury experience 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Or holding on to them for the next one fingers crossed ... masks would not be a very fun experience either for me ... seeing people smile is very much part of the glastonbury experience 

Yeah - holding on to them for the next one if possible

Seeing the joy on peoples faces is a huge part of any live music experience, and without that I would rather give it a miss.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I sort of agree with you, although it's never been about the death rate. It's always been about the NHS's ability to cope with the demands caused by covid.

I personally think restrictions will be eased as much as possible from the spring, although with 'protecting the NHS' always top of the priority list. I just don't see the political will within the tory party for any other path.

It's a tricky balancing and having got it so badly wrong this autumn the Tories will want not to repeat past mistakes. Remember Bojo was urging everyone back to the office and on to public transport barely 7 weeks ago......Now look where we are.

One side of the balance is the economy and non-covid NHS services, on the other it's covid. As we saw this summer after the 1st wave was suppressed government started to reopen the economy with low risk priority sectors. We never even got as far as high risk mass attendance events such as football, rugby, horse racing etc. I expect the similar pathway when (hopefully) covid infection rates come down after the vaccination program rolls out.

At this moment in time no. Because everything is a mess... whether its controls (or lack of) to stop the spread or whether the science/stats they are following is wrong. No matter what side of the fence you sit on its a bloody mess... 

Personally I think the only way the earlier festivals are going ahead in the summer is if the vaccine is released in the new year. OR the scientists with a different take on things are proven right..  

I'd be happy with either of those things coming true... I'm not sure my mental health can handle 2 years with no festival/s. 

I wonder if other countries will take a different approach, for example no festivals in England next year but Spain giving the green light for primavera etc, I feel like they’ll be festivals in some form happening next year, potentially in other countries depending on how the virus is contained. The only other thing on that would be availability of bands currently booked, it wouldn’t be worth their time to travel for a minimal number of festivals would it? 

3 hours ago, Lycra said:

having got it so badly wrong this autumn the Tories will want not to repeat past mistakes.

Past experience suggests they're happy to do so if their mates can keep profiting off those mistakes, and they can keep blaming Labour for them.

31 minutes ago, Copperface said:

"Not widely available until the spring"

Doesn't this fit in with everything we already know though? First vaccine goes to health workers, vulnerable and then more widely. 

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

"Not widely available until the spring"

Doesn't this fit in with everything we already know though? First vaccine goes to health workers, vulnerable and then more widely. 

Yes it does....risk v benefit.  Vaccinate those at high risk of catching the disease and for whom it would be a potentially life limiting event it they catch it. If it works on this population then roll the vaccine out into the wider community. In Phase III trials the vaccine is only assessed on 30-40k of the population, enough to give a good indicator of performance but vaccines sometimes do not live up to expectations when introduced to the wider population. Hence roll out is often slower than desired so efficacy (& potential problems) can be properly assessed.

Edited by Lycra

53 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It's rather unfortunate the barrister opin compared LA ordering an event not to go ahead to medical euthanasia as this infers death, a state from which there's no recovery. As we all know cancelling an event provides opportunity for a rescheduling to another date.

3 minutes ago, Lycra said:

It's rather unfortunate the barrister opin compared LA ordering an event not to go ahead to medical euthanasia as this infers death, a state from which there's no recovery. As we all know cancelling an event provides opportunity for a rescheduling to another date.

it was a weird thing to include, and yet it can be looked at differently to how you say.

Because (for instance) Glastonbury 2020 will not be rescheduled. Glastonbury 2020 is dead.

47 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

We’re talking about the safety measures etc but you have to remember this government appears to have abandoned ‘following the science’ and are now going for wealth over health at all costs (in England). Do festivals bring in enough money?

I mean if it was entirely wealth over health, they’d be reopening entirely. They’re going for balance. 

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it was a weird thing to include, and yet it can be looked at differently to how you say.

Because (for instance) Glastonbury 2020 will not be rescheduled. Glastonbury 2020 is dead.

Yes GF2020 will be lost and reborne as a new event. If either you or I are lost then it's a good deal more permanent......