Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

Welliwonder

Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0  

352 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

• Yes, and it will be business as usual.
    • Yes, with some minor requirements (hygiene warnings, extra hand gel).
    • Yes, with some moderate/major requirements (face masks, distancing, temperature checks, testing).
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too prevalent and mass gatherings will still be banned.
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too much of a risk and the organisers will choose not to go ahead.
    • No, for another reason.
    • I can't even guess.

8 minutes ago, nikkic said:

He also said we’d have a “world beating” track and trace system. 

The man is an abhorrent little toad.

Yep, but these saliva tests are being rolled out, right now. (Has just started)

They've actually managed to keep that quiet, which is slightly odd.

Fingers crossed, they would be a huge game changer for testing.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yep, but these saliva tests are being rolled out, right now. (Has just started)

They've actually managed to keep that quiet, which is slightly odd.

Fingers crossed, they would be a huge game changer for testing.

How will test & trace work with these saliva tests? Because if I get a test that I do at home, surely it is then reliant on me to a) isolate, but b) tell the test & trace service that I have tested positive. Surely the fact that it will be on the person who tests positive to tell test & trace will lead to loads of contacts being missed (even more that are being missed now!)?

30 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

How will test & trace work with these saliva tests? Because if I get a test that I do at home, surely it is then reliant on me to a) isolate, but b) tell the test & trace service that I have tested positive. Surely the fact that it will be on the person who tests positive to tell test & trace will lead to loads of contacts being missed (even more that are being missed now!)?

Could they not be carried out somewhere other than home ? And someone else also gets the result ? 

My mate’s a doctor and he is adamant (no, he isn’t Adam Ant, before you start) that the tests aren’t accurate in that you may have the virus but it would take a few days for you to show positive. So even if they brought in tests with quick results, there’d inevitably be a percentage of false negatives.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

I saw a bit on TV earlier with them being used at a primary school, with the kids putting their sample into a box.

So in that instance I guess the results are managed by someone who isn't the person being tested.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I saw a bit on TV earlier with them being used at a primary school, with the kids putting their sample into a box.

So in that instance I guess the results are managed by someone who isn't the person being tested.

Have just read that these will be used in fixed settings on asymptomatic peeps tested weekly, with positive tests checked for the moment with a standard swab test.

2 hours ago, henry bear said:

My mate’s a doctor and he is adamant (no, he isn’t Adam Ant, before you start) that the tests aren’t accurate in that you may have the virus but it would take a few days for you to show positive. So even if they brought in tests with quick results, there’d inevitably be a percentage of false negatives.

Correct. That's why they use follow up testing in hospitals. A test is only as good as the sample and it's easy for an oral or nasal sample to give a misleading result. 

On 10/15/2020 at 11:46 PM, thewayiam said:

Well the number of cases etc being at it's highest there speaks for itself and it was like that a little while ago. You did after have a shit load of people in May totally ignore rules on the league win and the royal liver building was attacked in numbers. As I said I don't agree with the London antics either but you also can't have those antics and the city get away with it and they haven't.

Attacked in numbers? One knobhead let a single firework off. Rules on the league win? The streets in Soho and Leicester Square were more packed than that every weekend. There were the same amount of people outside Elland Road too. Guess what - there was no spike after the title parties. Completely irrelevant bollocks to fit your narrative. 

Case numbers have also been far higher in Nottingham and Manchester and are equivalent now. 

Next.

Edited by Superscally
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

looks to be the case that there was no spike in transmissions until people started to do indoors stuff at a significant level.

Yep, the best conditions for virus transmission is to put the herd in close proximity in a confirmed environment. After that it's put the herd in close proximity. 

2 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Which is why winter is gonna be such a bummer man. 😕

but it's also good news towards the possibility of festivals next summer, if anyone important is paying proper attention.

There were a lot of outdoor crowding events that happened before August, yet there was no noticeable increase in infections.

41 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

but it's also good news towards the possibility of festivals next summer, if anyone important is paying proper attention.

There were a lot of outdoor crowding events that happened before August, yet there was no noticeable increase in infections.

I must have blinked and missed them. Where were the crowd events you refer to? I cannot recall any organised crowded outdoor event of significant size except for protest rallies.

Edited by Lycra

9 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I must have blinked and missed them. Where were the crowd events you refer to?

VE Day, BLM, beaches, illegal raves, protests, etc, etc.

After all of these there were people pointing the finger saying they were spreading the virus. It didn't happen in any detectable way.

Edited by eFestivals

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

VE Day, BLM, beaches, illegal raves, protests, etc, etc.

After all of these there were people pointing the finger saying they were spreading the virus. It didn't happen in any detectable way.

The most significant word here is detectable. Virus transmission probably did occur but it was not detected and rates were mitigated by other measures such as social distancing taking place elsewhere.  Also I would suggest only the latter 2 could be classified as true crowded events as social distancing was operating on 'VE, BLM  & beaches. If social distancing is still a requirement for GF then fans would be spread the length of Glastonbury valley.

A distinction must also be drawn between authorised events and unauthorised events. The powers that be have overall authority over official licensed events in setting the rules. This was shown recently by the publication of the industry covid compliance guidance document. 

3 minutes ago, Lycra said:

The most significant word here is detectable. Virus transmission probably did occur but it was not detected

I don't disagree.

But it does show that providing the levels of infection are already low in society, crowded outdoor activities are a very low risk.

If the important people are weighing things up properly, this should carry some weight.