Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

Welliwonder

Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0  

352 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

• Yes, and it will be business as usual.
    • Yes, with some minor requirements (hygiene warnings, extra hand gel).
    • Yes, with some moderate/major requirements (face masks, distancing, temperature checks, testing).
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too prevalent and mass gatherings will still be banned.
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too much of a risk and the organisers will choose not to go ahead.
    • No, for another reason.
    • I can't even guess.

21 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Any decision to restrict Glastonbury would have national effects and be classed as a setting of national importance and as much as the LA might want to either restrict, or keep it open, I can't see the decision being theirs.

on the basis that the govt isn't interfering with travel even in current conditions, it's not going to be a govt call in the way you're thinking.

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Glastonbury will be going ahead as normal. It won’t work if there’s any restrictions. 

What may happen is that they treat the festival as a holiday destination and you’ll be advised to isolate on your return and you attend at your own risk just as if you were going to Blackpool, Italy or any other potential covid hotspot.

What the festival should do is give existing ticket holders the option to defer their tickets to 2022. For those not willing to take the risk in 2021 or unable to due to other reasons such as exams being moved they should be allowed to retain their ticket for the next year.

Thats a great idea. It then makes it easier (though prob still hard) for us that can isolate and are less vulnerable to the virus a chance to go and keep it ticking over. 

Best of all worlds really (obvs if it could go ahead).

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

What may happen is that they treat the festival as a holiday destination and you’ll be advised to isolate on your return and you attend at your own risk just as if you were going to Blackpool, Italy or any other potential covid hotspot.

This is an outstanding idea.

1 hour ago, swede said:

I had it years ago, one guy downvoted every post I made until I was -80, the things retards do for fun !!

Yep, I’ve had it too. If I see this behaviour I’ll use mine to neutralise it.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Jeremy Spelling-Mistake has just asked Hancock to commit to weekly testing of the whole population by April.

I missed what the reply was (and anyway, I can't see testing happening at that level), but it's another indication of tories wanting a big change to how covid is dealt with from the spring.

Wanting to change how testing is done and actually being able to do it is a completely different ball game.

£12billion on the shower of shite we have now, would you care to put an estimate on how much a functioning system would cost?!?!

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Wanting to change how testing is done and actually being able to do it is a completely different ball game.

£12billion on the shower of shite we have now, would you care to put an estimate on how much a functioning system would cost?!?!

Less than the  cost of the current measures ? 

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Jeremy Spelling-Mistake has just asked Hancock to commit to weekly testing of the whole population by April.

I missed what the reply was (and anyway, I can't see testing happening at that level), but it's another indication of tories wanting a big change to how covid is dealt with from the spring.

Seems that he wanted to go ahead with that. Hate to think how much money is going to be wasted setting that up before it’s inevitable failure. 

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Relatively easy to do as well. Make everyone register their home/quarantine address when tickets are despatched and send that data to track and trace to check it with the same system they use for holiday quarantine.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

on the basis that the govt isn't interfering with travel even in current conditions, it's not going to be a govt call in the way you're thinking.

Apart from travel corridors, advice on essential travel only, mandatory quarantines, and regular advice not to use public transport unless essential you mean?

I think me mentioning travel from Ireland re Cheltenham may have muddied the waters a bit.

Leaving the travel aspect aside, the key is that both Glastonbury and Cheltenham are events of national importance and massive scale, and as such the relevant LA will not be making that call on their own under the Regulations. They do of course still have powers re licencing and pre requisite conditions to be met if the Government was allowing it to go ahead and they wanted to pull it. Doesn't work the other way round. 

The travel bit, especially with Cheltenham, adds an added international dimension to be considered re the prevailing conditions in the Republic again increasing likelihood of that being a Ministerial call.

Just now, thewayiam said:

Well yes. They were all out partying after a lockdown. My comment was banter but in reality it did happen.

Like everywhere in the country ... I would imagine ... don’t think anywhere has been immune to case rises of course it happened ... but I don’t think the media would get the same response if it was pictures of Taunton (for example doing exactly the same thing ) 

4 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

happen is that they treat the festival as a holiday destination and you’ll be advised to isolate on your return and you attend at your own risk just as if you were going to Blackpool, Italy or any other potential covid hotspot.

Problem there is that there are thousands of attendees from over seas ((like me, only 200 miles away but still) who will be traveling through airports, train stations, taxis and the like on their journey and then landing in the middle of 250,000 people. Same for the acts and their crews too. 

Couple of people on here travel from Australia and NZ don't they? I know theres loads of Americans, people from all over Europe, Ive met people from Hong Kong, Argentina, Canada, Brazil, South Africa at the festival. 

Filthy foreigners. So unless you want to go full Farage on it its impossible to implement.  

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Problem there is that there are thousands of attendees from over seas ((like me, only 200 miles away but still) who will be traveling through airports, train stations, taxis and the like on their journey and then landing in the middle of 250,000 people. Same for the acts and their crews too

Exactly the same for people traveling abroad now. Anyone using mass transit runs the risk of bumping into someone who has come into contact with the virus. This is why extra measures have been put in place on all transport services. 

Anyone traveling to the UK is also likely to be put on a quarantine on return to their place of origin regardless of whether they go to Glastonbury or not. 

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Like everywhere in the country ... I would imagine ... don’t think anywhere has been immune to case rises of course it happened ... but I don’t think the media would get the same response if it was pictures of Taunton (for example doing exactly the same thing ) 

That's because the only time anyone goes near Taunton is for Glastonbury and it's for a party 🤣🤣

11 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

Assuming a level of normal festival activities... I guess there could be an "attend at your own" risk re. covid but regardless of punters, is it remotely possible that the site/event could be made "covid secure" for the 1000's of workers?

Highly doubt that as a big thing about this virus is people spreading it to others through no fault of their own.

Its not just about whether you get sick or not. It’s about third parties which might be infected through people going to the festival.

Also no way the locals would want thousands of people piling down on the festival if it’s not even clear to hold it.

17 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Exactly the same for people traveling abroad now. Anyone using mass transit runs the risk of bumping into someone who has come into contact with the virus. This is why extra measures have been put in place on all transport services. 

Anyone traveling to the UK is also likely to be put on a quarantine on return to their place of origin regardless of whether they go to Glastonbury or not. 

Course. But Im referring to the people bringing the virus in. UK gov/Glasto have no control over the health of people arriving and spending 5 days with 250,000 people who will all then scatter off to every corner of the country and the world on Monday. Of all events on the planet, Glasto has the potential to be one of the biggest super spreaders. 

Basically if there isn't a cure/vaccine/very effective treatment in the next few weeks (which there won't be) its not happening. 

52 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Problem there is that there are thousands of attendees from over seas ((like me, only 200 miles away but still) who will be traveling through airports, train stations, taxis and the like on their journey and then landing in the middle of 250,000 people. Same for the acts and their crews too. 

Couple of people on here travel from Australia and NZ don't they? I know theres loads of Americans, people from all over Europe, Ive met people from Hong Kong, Argentina, Canada, Brazil, South Africa at the festival. 

Filthy foreigners. So unless you want to go full Farage on it its impossible to implement.  

Well if it's as it is now, unless people want to self isolate for 14d before Glasto, it'd be pretty easy. You'd just have to show your flight arrival details on entry if the address on your ticket wasn't from the UK. Oxfam team on gate, refuse entry and refer to police on gate who then detain the offender if they arrived less than 14d ago.