Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

Welliwonder

Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0  

352 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

• Yes, and it will be business as usual.
    • Yes, with some minor requirements (hygiene warnings, extra hand gel).
    • Yes, with some moderate/major requirements (face masks, distancing, temperature checks, testing).
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too prevalent and mass gatherings will still be banned.
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too much of a risk and the organisers will choose not to go ahead.
    • No, for another reason.
    • I can't even guess.

20 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

Speaking of vaccinations (and sorry if this is the wrong place to have this discussion) - a friend of mine lives in Abu Dhabi and has been offered a vaccine. It all sounds pretty dodgy and rushed. I've advised her against it (it isn't mandatory).

"Teachers and staff have been identified as frontline workers and given priority for the SARS-CoV-2 vaccine (vero cell) that is being rolled out by the UAE Govt. This vaccine is currently in the third phase of clinical trials, however this rollout is no longer part of the trials, the actual vaccine will be administered"

Source for the quote?

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

That go ahead as usual percentage is damning.

It either goes ahead as usual or it doesn't go ahead at all.

Glasto HQ basically need to know in the next couple of weeks (when the money starts going out) if its a runner for it to happen. And its not a runner. Its not a runner on a startling scale.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Glasto HQ basically need to know in the next couple of weeks (when the money starts going out) if its a runner for it to happen. And its not a runner. Its not a runner on a startling scale.

Every negative post you make gives me more hope 😁

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, The Nal said:

there's not much need for money to go out until people are actually doing something, so no time soon (excluding some wage costs, minor in the scheme of things). It might normally go out this early, but no promoter is going to be setting themselves up with major costs for a festival that might not go ahead (as much as they can avoid it, anyway).

And basing whether it's a runner or not on the situation right now isn't what festivals will be doing. They'll be making a prediction on how they think things will be at festival time (while also thinking about the run-in) - and right now there's no need to make a hasty decision on that, because we're all aware that things change hugely with a vaccine and a vaccine might be soon.

I'm less hopeful than I was, but I don't see Glastonbury making a call about it until January at earliest (which is why they've moved the refund date to there I reckon).

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

there's not much need for money to go out until people are actually doing something, so no time soon (excluding some wage costs, minor in the scheme of things). It might normally go out this early, but no promoter is going to be setting themselves up with major costs for a festival that might not go ahead (as much as they can avoid it, anyway).

And basing whether it's a runner or not on the situation right now isn't what festivals will be doing. They'll be making a prediction on how they think things will be at festival time (while also thinking about the run-in) - and right now there's no need to make a hasty decision on that, because we're all aware that things change hugely with a vaccine and a vaccine might be soon.

I'm less hopeful than I was, but I don't see Glastonbury making a call about it until January at earliest (which is why they've moved the refund date to there I reckon).

I'm guessing but I can foresee GF liaising/consulting with all stakeholders (inc. national & local government, promoters, band agents, area builders, suppliers etc etc) Jan early March to the effect of taking a go/no-go decision before April. Not an earth shattering idea, just logical. I also think that those not residing in the UK may find attending problematical such the festival go ahead.

On 10/13/2020 at 12:39 PM, Ozanne said:

I think there’s a very good chance it goes ahead. In the 6 months alone testing has been vastly improved and we have 2 treatments. Give it another 6 months we'll have gone through the Winter, will have even more testing capacity and likely quick testing results too. A vaccine or more treatments even that can be given to higher risk people. Plus will there be an appetite in Government and the country for restrictions on events next summer, I'm not so sure there would be.

Therefore I would there's a good chance the festival goes ahead if you can prove before you are COVID free, log it via the NHS app and your registration. It's not 100% full proof but nothing is. I’m still hopeful!

@merkin79 Care to explain why you downvoted this post?

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

They don’t like our positivity. I wonder why they are actually on this forum as they clearly don’t want Glastonbury to go ahead. 

I don’t know why that poster comes here and does nothing else but downvotes people, at least give an argument.

@eFestivals I’m not asking cause they are downvoting me but this poster is doing it to quite a few people. Is there anything that can be done?

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t know why that poster comes here and does nothing else but downvotes people, at least give an argument.

@eFestivals I’m not asking cause they are downvoting me but this poster is doing it to quite a few people. Is there anything that can be done?

I don’t see why they need to downvote just because they take a different point of view 

I’ve been a perpetual optimist with all this but right now, I’m a fairly firm “no it’s not happening”. Hate to concede to negativity, but I just can’t see it at all. I think the biggest issue is timing - by June we could well be “back to normal”, but I don’t think that will become obvious until after they have to make the call. Dream scenario we get news of a vaccine in January and it starts a roll out in March or so, but it seems a long shot. I’m currently resigned to another 6 months at least of the current situation, flitting back and forth between various restrictions. And I certainly don’t see Glastonbury happening until there’s a vaccine - no chance of a festival running with reduced capacity, extra mitigations etc. Festivals happen as normal or they don’t IMO.

Glastonbury feels like the biggest luxury right now. It’s hard to really think about the festival when Nottingham has a major outbreak on its hands. I hope to god we’re all there in June because it would mean this is all over. 

Unlike most other European festivals that use either existing sites and infrastructure or fairly consistent builds in terms of staging and production and hospitality, Glastonbury just has so many moving parts to it. I feel like one of the main things that's unfortunate in Glastonbury's case is just the sheer size and scale of it. It's so massive.

I think, for example, All Points East or Primavera or Mad Cool have a much easier time of decision making in terms of things going ahead than something like Glastonbury.

I still have faith in some combination of vaccine, rapid testing, hygeine measures etc enabling it to go ahead, but I think a lot of other festivals will have an easier time making it happen.