Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

Welliwonder

Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0  

352 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

• Yes, and it will be business as usual.
    • Yes, with some minor requirements (hygiene warnings, extra hand gel).
    • Yes, with some moderate/major requirements (face masks, distancing, temperature checks, testing).
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too prevalent and mass gatherings will still be banned.
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too much of a risk and the organisers will choose not to go ahead.
    • No, for another reason.
    • I can't even guess.

I've been completely telling myself it is not going ahead as a coping mechanism. I know I'm not alone but I'll be devastated if it isn't. So just trying to soften the blow as early as possible. I'm nowhere near clued up enough to have an educated guess as to what state the country might even be in around then, Covid-wise. 

But it's not looking good for mass gatherings of Glastonbury proportions in 8 months time.

3 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

I've been completely telling myself it is not going ahead as a coping mechanism. I know I'm not alone but I'll be devastated if it isn't. So just trying to soften the blow as early as possible. I'm nowhere near clued up enough to have an educated guess as to what state the country might even be in around then, Covid-wise. 

But it's not looking good for mass gatherings of Glastonbury proportions in 8 months time.

Personally I think we're looking at a summer of those socially distanced platform style gigs like they had in Newcastle (but lots of them) - if some were local I'd go to any I was remotely interested in 

On Glastonbury, not a hope 

Edited by efcfanwirral

With every passing day I become more pessimistic. I’ve said before that once the vaccine is available then things will go back to normal but until the vaccine is readily available for everyone, not just health workers and the vulnerable, then I just can’t see it. If we hear one of the big pharma firms get one of their vaccines approved then that should change things as I’m sure I read somewhere on here that a firm like GSK would be able to produce almost 1bn!

I think it may have a chance to with good testing or having more mitigations but part of me can't see Emily or Michael going ahead with it if they can't do it completely normally - the 2021 festival season won't be a complete write off as I think many will choose to go socially distanced or are small enough but the sheer size and scale of Glasto may be its Achilles heel when compared to the others 

I'm pretty confident some combination of testing, vaccine, etc will allow it to happen but there are some easy concessions to make: increased hygeine, masks in enclosed spaces (or doing away with tented stages and bars altogether), and just a general reminder to distance wherever possible.

We now know a lot more about outdoor transmision and its risks vs indoors than we did earlier this year, and combined with whatever advances come in the next few months I think this will really help councils and promoters come to some agreement to hold large events, even if it's a slightly neutered version.

1 minute ago, lighthouse said:

Yikes. This board sure is pessimistic. How can you even live thinking 2021 will be as bad as 2020. It will go ahead, c'mon guys.

Or do you think Glasto will be the only festival not going ahead? 

The biggest obstacle is the lead time Glastonbury needs to setup.

14 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Yikes. This board sure is pessimistic. How can you even live thinking 2021 will be as bad as 2020. It will go ahead, c'mon guys.

Or do you think Glasto will be the only festival not going ahead? 

My mind has been there since they cancelled this year's - they need months advance notice. Others throw them up in a week because they're smaller and on public land-  still a lot of logistics and will need a bit of lead time knowing either way, but still a lot less than Glastonbury does. 

There is almost zero chance in my eyes of the restrictions today being lifted before end of April considering how it all went this year. The decision was made by that time to cancel 2020. Everywhere will be at least tier 2 within 4-6 weeks and probably tier 3 by January, it's a long way back from there.

It won't be as bad as this year, as events will have longer to plan SOMETHING like the Newcastle lot did, but I wouldn't go expecting normality to be honest....

Edited by efcfanwirral

It wont be going ahead, anyone with any sense will realise that.

At the moment, you cant even meet in groups of more than 6, and in some parts of the country not even that.

Do you really think that in 8 or so months time, everyone is gona be tested, Covid will have fucked off, society is back to normal again, and 200,000 people will be allowed to camp together and share all those facilities 😆. Ludicrous thinking. 

45 minutes ago, paulshane said:

The biggest obstacle is the lead time Glastonbury needs to setup.

That's not anywhere near as big a factor as has been made out.

The build could go ahead, under the rules as they stand today, without significant changes even if Somerset was moved into Tier 2. The length could also quite easily be "shrunk" to ~6 weeks if needed.

Yes, Glastonbury has a longer build time than everything else (with the arguable exception of Boomtown), but that's unlikely to be the main consideration here - partly because most of the early (pre-May) work is done by farm hands who will be on site anyway and are just taking advantage of the relative quiet to get stuff done, and partly because a final decision will need to come much earlier than that - ie. at the point that they start paying deposits and incurring sunk costs which most people have down as early-mid January.

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Of course it’s happening.

Not sure that we need another thread on this though. 

Well said. Totally agree, if we don’t have hope and optimism then we have nothing. At the moment I’m in a hotel room looking out the window, it’s very misty so the Tor is obscured, but I know it’s there and I will be down here again next June for the festival. Hope shines brightest in the darkness ! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1