The Festival (film)

blutarsky

This Film 4 film was on Channel 4 on Wednesday and is on All 4 now. 
Couldn’t find a thread where it was mentioned before... 

As a piece of art it was objectively terrible, but there were a few laughs and so much crowd footage that made me nostalgic for Glastonbury. 

Anyone know anything about where they shot footage? 

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I actually went to the cinema to see this a couple of years ago!......the start of it was quite funny and a few of us were laughing at situations we'd all found ourselves in...but it got quite silly towards the end for me.

Yeah I like it a lot more when it's doing "ground level" festival stuff for the first hour. Without spoiling the end it goes too far in to fantasy territory. 

5 hours ago, 1986 said:

Yeah I like it a lot more when it's doing "ground level" festival stuff for the first hour. Without spoiling the end it goes too far in to fantasy territory. 

Can't help but judge people - the posh friends are some of the worst kind of festival goer - they portrayed the extreme of that stereotype well. 

I had to laugh at myself too - my first night at the G (a Thursday) I was a bit like the main character, wanting to leave the Rabbit Hole for bed because the 'proper music' started the next day. I've come a long way. 

A mock festival set was also created the Wells side of the Mendips. It had main stage, traders, loos, camping fields and loads of litter. A friend of mine who works on film sets was also living onsite in a caravan as kind of night time security as well as his normal job with the crew. He said that it was one of the oddest places to stay at night when everyon else had left.

A shout out went out locally for youngsters to be extras there. They had to dance in front of the main stage....with no music playing.

The goat wedding scene was filmed in the woods on the Ashton Court Estate. I provided the log seating, log altar thing and the pole wood gazebo. They were going to send a runner to Birmingham to get more plastic ivy to decorate the gazebo when they didn't have enough..........

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

A Star is Born was actually filmed at the G and there's at least 5 seconds of footage of it in the finished film.

I remember very briefly seeing Bradley Cooper on the Pyramid stage, he gave the crowd a quick wave! We were all wondering why he was there, but made sense when the movie was announced.

1 hour ago, discgoesmic said:

I remember very briefly seeing Bradley Cooper on the Pyramid stage, he gave the crowd a quick wave! We were all wondering why he was there, but made sense when the movie was announced.

When you walked into the pit ahead of Kris Kristofferson there were A4 posters up notifying you that you consented to being filmed.

If they were being alert, Hollywood celeb spotters basically could have seen Bradley Cooper, Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt on the big pointy bastard within about 5 minutes of one another.

As a movie it's a bit pants. I did enjoy watch the festival scenes though, and brought back memories. The guys endlessly shuffle dancing by the loos. 

The cameo by Jason Sleaford Mod was unexpected, rozzer.

Was really looking forward to this movie but in the end was really disappointed. The sketches weren't that funny and the ending so contrived. Above all I found hanging the film around Joe Thomas who morphed Inbetweeners Simon into Nick so irritating as to be annoying. The festival scenes when he wasn't talking barely saved the day 😯

15 hours ago, Lycra said:

Was really looking forward to this movie but in the end was really disappointed. The sketches weren't that funny and the ending so contrived. Above all I found hanging the film around Joe Thomas who morphed Inbetweeners Simon into Nick so irritating as to be annoying. The festival scenes when he wasn't talking barely saved the day 😯

Yeah, Joe Thomas’ character was almost identical to Simon in inbetweeners and that wasn’t helped by the fact that his girlfriend in the movie was the same actress as his girlfriend in Inbetweeners, Tara.

Also, the guy in the movie who took too much ket and kept popping up throughout the movie in various drug addled states was played by the same actor who kept popping up in the Inbetweeners movie off his head on drugs.

As others have stated above, the festival scenes were great but it just got more and more ridiculous as the movie went on.

This could have a been a great movie full of relatable scenarios and to be honest, over the last 32 years of festival-going, I would been able to give them enough material for a full production and several sequels myself haha.

Edited by rivalschools.price

Watched last night. Awful. I find it baffling how Joe Thomas gets away with being such a terrible actor. Playing the same character and the same plot that he always plays (chasing a girl who doesn't like him, other mate get annoyed) was beyond tedious. 

A massive missed opportunity. 

17 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Watched last night. Awful. I find it baffling how Joe Thomas gets away with being such a terrible actor. Playing the same character and the same plot that he always plays (chasing a girl who doesn't like him, other mate get annoyed) was beyond tedious. 

A massive missed opportunity. 

He has been pigeonholed, or is it the only character he can play? 
He does seem a genuinely funny guy though - his episode of Off Menu was hilarious.