Best Songs at Glastonbury

stuartbert two hats

37 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

This was the one for me in 2015. Tears of joy, one of all the all-time WH runs ending with a Hot Chip touchdown.

When Al breaks into a verse from All My Friends it looks like he's about to piss himself laughing. It works perfectly but by that point they knew they were flexing in the end zone.

I love that they kept the All My Friends snippet in the recorded version too. This was one of my favourite sets of all time. So, so special. Easily the best time I've seen them. The atmosphere on WH that day was fantastic, probably aided by Run The Jewels and Caribou who proceeded Hot Chip. This was my pick for 2015. Caribou as the sun was setting with some of my best friends and this:

S2H, given that you're my go to person for naming the songs, I'll try to add some details here, and I'm sure you'll correct me.

Prizefighter, Eels

100% bad bitch song, Lizzo.

Common People, Pulp secret Park show (thanks SecretGlasto, er, Stu)

Mik Artistik and the New York Brass Band's improvisation, when he overran his slot on the bandstand.

Most of the Cure, last time.

Arctic Monkeys, where he wants the girl to pretend to be somebody else.

The encore by Arcade Fire with the masks/heads.

Creep (I know, clichéd) Radiohead, but the last time they played.

Ride a white horse, Goldfrapp. Was this in a tent near the Greenpeace fields?? Where did they last play?

Nick Cave. OK, I know what you're thinking, "Fuck, not again", but that last performance transformed the Push The Sky Away Album for me. Jubilee Street. And Warren Ellis' beard.

She Drew the Gun. All of it. The Crow's Nest. And Michael Kiwanuka, same place.

LCD Soundsystem, how could I forget that? All my friends. I'm not crying, you're crying.

The next song I hear at the Farm. Please make it happen in 2021.

There may be alcohol involved from my effusive part here, but thanks all you efesters for your comments, jokes, info, posts, and general "get through life stuff" on here, it helps 👍🏻

Edit

Joe Goddard, in the Park. Big white balloons. Great show.

Hot Chip Huarache Lights and more before legging it up to Super Furries for The Man Don't Give A Fuck. Bad clash that one.

Edited by carlosj
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 5:54 PM, Ddiamondd said:

This was the one for me in 2015. Tears of joy, one of all the all-time WH runs ending with a Hot Chip touchdown.

When Al breaks into a verse from All My Friends it looks like he's about to piss himself laughing. It works perfectly but by that point they knew they were flexing in the end zone.

You weren’t the only one crying my friend. That whole night was sublime!

Quite a poignant evening for my wife and I as it was our first evening back on the farm in 4 years.

This song just topped off what was a joyous day. 

Quality thread :)

I've been to a lot of gigs, this is the highlight of the best I ever attended for me.  The video doesn't show it but this came right off the back of a haunting rendition of Wandering star.  What made the gig even more amazing for me was the crowd I was lucky to be in, who were responsive to the performance and at times almost reverentially hushed during the more tender moments.  Truly some of the best minutes of my life.

On 10/1/2020 at 5:54 PM, Ddiamondd said:

Him singing LCD completely passed me by at the time. Prob for the best or I may have collapsed from some kind of euphoria overload.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Homer said:

From last year, the one-two of Swoon into Star Guitar during the Chems is always hard to beat. Peak euphoria on Sat night.

Actually, I'm gonna add Galvanize from last year's set to my list.  The silence and darkness and then the opening "don't hold back" just teed the crowd up perfectly, the tease of the two-note lead in, that drop, the dancing dude lightshow, and the way the whole track was kept quite low par for about 3 minutes and then the MASSIVE drop and mix with Siren....that still gives me goosebumps every time.

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

2010 - Mik Artistik - Library
2011 - Jessie J - Price Tag (only due to the girl who belted it out)
2013 - Stones - Gimme Shelter
2014 - Jack White - 7 nation army Metallica - Enter Sandman. Blondie - Atomic(?) was fab all the crowd bobbing up and down.
2015 - Motörhead - Damage Case (although Lino Rich Tea was being looked for was fab)
2016 - ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man
2017 - The National - Mr November
2019 - Proclaimers - I'm gonna be

Winner has to be Mik - set the tone for my entire Glastonbury experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Going to be a dick and post a link to the whole gig, but throughout this year a feel good video I've returned to many times is Jungle's triumphant 2019 Saturday night sunset slot at West Holts, what a party it was and the biggest crowd I have ever seen at the stage.  Busy Earnin' was the highlight for me (about 44 minute mark).

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Going to be a dick and post a link to the whole gig, but throughout this year a feel good video I've returned to many times is Jungle's triumphant 2019 Saturday night sunset slot at West Holts, what a party it was and the biggest crowd I have ever seen at the stage.  Busy Earnin' was the highlight for me (about 44 minute mark).

I've had this on loud for most days of the past few weeks when working at home. Absolutely love it! It was such a great set and what a beautiful evening at WH it was. Both Busy Earnin and Time at the end - such a great finale.

My mum came round at the weekend and asked who I was listening to (she loves a bit of funk), and then she passed it on to her sister. The whole family's now hooked on Jungle 😆

• Upvote 1

Yeah, just one of my happiest memories being in that crowd.  Look at the size of it.

Jungle are one of those bands that no one considers huge but always draw a decent crowd and deliver a fun time for the audience.  I think that this gig, the Avalanches and RTJ are the three most fun party atmosphere gigs I've enjoyed at West Holts.  I really think they deserve to play another beautiful sunset slot on the farm on a bigger stage next time round, they can certainly draw a crowd.  Failing that, a WH headline slot is surely due.

Glad to hear someone else has it on regular rotation, massively lifts my spirits every time.  Even on a cold, windy, damp British autumn afternoon in a pandemic staring down the barrel of brexit it is hard to feel glum with such a jouyous sight and sound.