Best Songs at Glastonbury

stuartbert two hats

We've done best years, best stages, best sets, best foods, best areas and best bars, but I don't remember* ever doing best single songs.

Reminded by a particularly good episode of Strong Songs, I'm going to nominate Bjork's 2007 performance of Hyperballad. A totally different arrangement to the original record, it ended with a series of brain melting bass hits that left my jaw in the mud. A great highlight of a very difficult festival.

Here's the podcast on the record: https://strongsongspodcast.com/hyperballad-by-bjrk

* I bet we've actually done it loads of times. But why not again? Beats counting the dead from the rona.

• Like 1

Well if we're doing years...

2010: The Hold Steady - Constructive Summer

2011: Paolo Nutini - Candy

2013: Stones - Midnight Rambler

2014: Robert Plant - Whole Lotta Love

2015: Ryan Adams - Come Pick Me Up

2016: St Paul and The Broken Bones - Broken Bones and Pocket Change 

2017: Killers - Mr Brightside

2019: Frank Turner - Long Live The Queen

In 2014 I was watching Beans On Toast on the hell stage when there was the power cut so he took whoever would fit into the heaven room and finished his set there with no mics or amps.  Was truly special and he did the explicit version of 'I Can't Get a Gig at Glastonbury This Year' which I'd not heard before.

Also prior to 2017 glastonbury I'd been stuck in Singapore for 6 weeks and the only thing that had kept me going was the thought of Glastonbury.  The weekend before I'd finally accepted it wasn't happening then on the Tuesday we were given the OK to fly so I landed Thursday morning and drove straight to Glastonbury, via decathalon & Tesco.  When Kae Tempest finished her set on the Friday with 'Peoples Faces' I dropped to the floor in tears which isn't like me.  It felt like that song somehow soothed/sucked all the stress that had been built up in me over the previous 6 weeks and I was me again.  I will always love Kae for that set and that moment. 

2015 - Mini Mansions - Heart Of Glass 

2016 - Tame Impala - Let it Happen 

2017 - Foo Fighters - Everlong 

2019 - Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky was probably the most enjoyable 4 minutes of life and I had an absolute blast. 

Edited by Kalopsia

2010 - The Next Episode - Snoop Dogg

2013 - Machine Gun - Portishead (the laser eyes just beat out Roads)

2014 - Tough one, nothing jumps out. We chatted to Craig Charles before his SL set and requested The Outsider, which he later played, so probably that. 

2016 - Why Does It Always Rain On Me - Travis

2017 - White Gloves - Khruangbin (pains me to no pick a Radiohead ditty)

2019 - Flutes - Hot Chip

Im pretty sure this has been done before StuTwo. 😉

Here's a few that i've seen, enjoyed and are warming memories to this day.

Much love to all on 'ere. Loved putting this together.

So - without further ado.

04 Penny Lane

05 Swastika Eyes

07 Green River

08 Damn Right, I Got The Blues

09 Tender

10 Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing

11 Do You Remember The First Time

13 Gimme Shelter

14 For Whom The Bell Tolls

15 Land (Horses)

16 La Grange

17 Paranoid Android

19 Summon The Fire

• Upvote 4

Confide in Me - Kylie

Also I loved when she played Shocked. Never in a million years did I expect her to play that.

Also Blue Monday. There is just something instantly recognisable and instant about that kick drum pattern, it just smacks you in the face. It is just so simple but stops everyone in their tracks and puts a smile on their faces. It was not a great New Order set, it was wet and miserable, but that track changes the ball game.