I tested positive for Covid - Share your experience

Monkey Allen

I had a drive-thru test on 20th September and tested positive on the 21st. 
Currently at home feeling absolutely shocking. 
Breathing shallow, a painful cough and a constant crushing headache. 
I'm a reasonably fit and healthy male, aged 55. 
Gym 5 days a week with a very active ‘outdoorsy’ lifestyle. 
I've been relaxed about the virus, thinking it wouldn't affect me physically if I did catch it. 
I got that one wrong. 
And it doesn't just affect you physically, it affects you mentally. 
You worry about just how bad is is going to get, feeling as ill as you already do, but only a few days in. 
You worry about passing the horrible virus on to your loved ones, living in the same space as you and now dangerously exposed to it. 
I'm on day 7 now and still really poorly with zero taste or smell, every breath an absolute struggle. 
Our lounge is now my ‘Covid bubble’, only leaving to use the bathroom.
The rest of the family keeping as safe a distance as possible, but knowing they’re all very scared being so perilously close to it. 

So for anyone reading this who 'poo-poos' mask wearing and social distancing etc.... Read this again. 
You could easily be next and I promise you it's an extremely unpleasant, frightening experience and an illness that really could kill you and the people you love most.

X

Edited by Monkey Allen
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 11

Hope you make a speedy recovery. One of those posts you read that is quite unsettling as it describes the reality of the situation and doesn’t sugar coat what can happen if you catch this bastard of a virus. Many are in denial thinking if we get it we will have mild symptoms or even asymptomatic. Your post puts everything into perspective.  Keep well. 

Thank you for spending the time whilst you are unwell to make it clear what a horrible disease this is hopefully it might just make a few people take a look at themselves and how they act towards this and make the appropriate changes ... wishing you all the best for a healthy recovery and that no one else in your household gets it ... all the best and please keep us updated 

• Downvote 1

Take care and speedy recovery.. We're trying to get a test but they keep sending us the same place.. Is of Wight..... But as we're only got mild symptoms we're going to do the ust self isolation route. 

Sounds like a nightmare.. I really hope you don't have to go to the hospital.. Stay well old son 

Wow.
That has just stopped me in my tracks. 
Sounds crazy, but you’ve kind of just made it “real” for me with your “no bullshit” description. 

Thank you for sharing this horrific experience with us and fingers crossed for both a speedy recovery and the safety of your family xx

Edited by Jenny Bucket

5 hours ago, Monkey Allen said:

I had a drive-thru test on 20th September and tested positive on the 21st. 
Currently at home feeling absolutely shocking. 
Breathing shallow, a painful cough and a constant crushing headache. 
I'm a reasonably fit and healthy male, aged 55. 
Gym 5 days a week with a very active ‘outdoorsy’ lifestyle. 
I've been relaxed about the virus, thinking it wouldn't affect me physically if I did catch it. 
I got that one wrong. 
And it doesn't just affect you physically, it affects you mentally. 
You worry about just how bad is is going to get, feeling as ill as you already do, but only a few days in. 
You worry about passing the horrible virus on to your loved ones, living in the same space as you and now dangerously exposed to it. 
I'm on day 7 now and still really poorly with zero taste or smell, every breath an absolute struggle. 
Our lounge is now my ‘Covid bubble’, only leaving to use the bathroom.
The rest of the family keeping as safe a distance as possible, but knowing they’re all very scared being so perilously close to it. 

So for anyone reading this who 'poo-poos' mask wearing and social distancing etc.... Read this again. 
You could easily be next and I promise you it's an extremely unpleasant, frightening experience and an illness that really could kill you and the people you love most.

X

Oh man, that sounds horrible and scary--I do hope you turn the corner soon, it sounds awful 

Although I wasn’t tested for it at the time due to tests being unavailable I’m certain I had it in February/March 

I had the worst cough I’ve ever had, had severe lung pain on one side for quite a few weeks after. My housemate also had a bad cough and lost his sense of smell and taste not long after I was ill. 

This was pre lockdown though, tests were only available at hospitals and although I felt ill I didn’t think I was ill enough for hospital treatment so I kept clear. 

I definitely think there are many people who have had a mild dose of the virus and not been tested for it. 

15 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

More power to you @Monkey Allen, spread that message far and wide. I hope you are feeling better soon, I'm a similar  age to you and have no doubt it will knock me for six (at least) if I get it.

I second this. Exactly how I feel.

Hope you feel better soon @Monkey Allen.

Good luck Monkey Allen. I'm also around the same age as you, I like to think physically fit too. I was incredibly anxious about the whole thing back in Feb/Mar but lately I've become very slightly complacent. Thank you so much for taking the time to give me an important reminder. Again, good luck and get well soon.

22 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Hope you have a speedy recovery fella

Got a question about isolation, as I'm a little unsure. So my housemate has tested positive; do I isolate for 14 days from when he started feeling ill (Sunday) or from when he got the positive test result (Wednesday)? I'm guessing it's the former but not absolutely certain.

It’s 14 days from when your housemate first had symptoms, then a further 10 days from the day you start getting symptoms (if you do, that is). 

5 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Although I wasn’t tested for it at the time due to tests being unavailable I’m certain I had it in February/March 

I had the worst cough I’ve ever had, had severe lung pain on one side for quite a few weeks after. My housemate also had a bad cough and lost his sense of smell and taste not long after I was ill. 

This was pre lockdown though, tests were only available at hospitals and although I felt ill I didn’t think I was ill enough for hospital treatment so I kept clear. 

I definitely think there are many people who have had a mild dose of the virus and not been tested for it. 

I actually think I had it last year and speaking to my hairdresser think it's possible we've had it longer than we think. I got what I thought was a mild cold in November/early December last year. I say mild cold because apart from a fever at the start and developing a very annoying dry cough that lasted for months I had no other symptoms. I worked all the way through it, went to the gym etc. There was a lady in front of me at Pilates classes who complained with exactly the same symptoms. My husband's Aunt also had it all over Christmas. We both are prone to chesty coughs and we were talking about how different it was because it was an entirely dry cough and really annoying. It was probably mid-February before my cough started to subside and it was around then that people started talking about Corona virus. I kept joking that it sounded like what I had already had. My haidresser aid last December she was diagnosed with pneumonia and when she went to the pharmacy to pick up her prescription he pharmacist told her that she was the 3rd person that morning to come in with that diagnosis.  I've wondered ever since if it has been around longer than we thought and whether I have already had it. 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’m suprised as a forum we haven’t had more positive tests come forward @Avalon_Fields had one I’m sure ... 

I had one inconclusive test, then one negative, but I most definitely had the virus in early May. Best wishes @Monkey Man

It wasn't a pleasant experience for a few days but I'm lucky in so much as I recovered very quickly (Despite being relatively old and a previous cancer patient). I do have a different take on things though, getting the virus wasn't too bad in hindsight as it liberated me to live my life well without fear, so I still travel (safely) and do what I want to do (safely). Yes I know it's maybe not impossible to be striken down again but proven repeat infections are vanishingly small.

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

I've wondered ever since if it has been around longer than we thought and whether I have already had it. 

The first known case was in Nottingham, at least early February if not before. But there's a case known in France from December so it's not impossible I guess.