It was fifty years ago today!

henry bear

So those of us who were alive at that time what were you doing That weekend? I reckon on the Saturday  I was playing football for my boys brigade team and sometime that month I saw jethro tull and procol harum at the greens playhouse in Glasgow.  A year later saw T Rex who, as you all know, replaced the Kinks at the first Glastonbury!   

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

5 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

So those of us who were alive at that time what were you doing That weekend? I reckon on the Saturday  I was playing football for my boys brigade team and sometime that month I saw jethro tull and procol harum at the greens playhouse in Glasgow.  A year later saw T Rex who, as you all know, replaced the Kinks at the first Glastonbury!   

I was 5 years old and. My music tastes were limited to Pinky & Perky, and yes, I still have the album... 

4 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Nope, this one

I'd forgotten it was a Christmas album! Published 1969 so the dates fit! 

IMG_20200919_213843.jpg

I hame faint memories of playing it at 16 rpm which I feel revealed the original recording before it was speeded up to get the 'Pinky&Perky sound'. 

Edited by HalfAnIdiot

I first became aware of the festival in 1972 when as a young teenager I bought a copy of the Glastonbury Fayre triple album which contained tracks, some live, of acts that had played at the 71 festival. Didn’t know too much about the festival but bought it as it had tracks by Hawkwind, Gong and the Pink Fairies. But it was the cover and booklet about the festival that really got me interested. There was even a silver fold out pyramid. It would be many years before I fulfilled an ambition to actually get to the festival

big regret, short of cash when I got married I sold lots of my vinyl, including this album.   Happy 50th! 

2 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Apologies to everyone for hijacking this thread with Pinky & Perky chat! I suspect there's a few of you baffled right now!

Anyway, happy birthday Glasto. 🙂

I’m just pleased that someone included pictures because the image I had in my head was in fact Pinky and the Brain! 

2FC23F81-1284-4ADF-A77D-68106F6E88F5.jpeg

17 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Very tough question - I was nearly 17 living in Glasgow - I was in the Scouts but certainly was not playing football and 100% did not have a clue there was anything going on in Somerset and even if I did I doubt my parents would have approved -

I also was not aware of the 1971 event either and only found out about the 1979 event { the first 3 day event } as by then I had moved to London and a friends Folk band was booked to play at it and I got roped in as I could drive - No sat nav in those days - no giant street signs pointing the way - all we really knew was it was closer to Shepton Mallet than Glastonbury town !!!! - sadly in the 80's they all dropped out { for various reasons } but I stuck with it and was lucky enough to get into the WBC in 1988 and that secured all the other years. 

just spotted a mention to The Green's Playhouse which many will not appreciate was such a main venue in Glasgow.

and I certainly was there tons of times.

Artistes who performed at Green's Playhouse, 1967–1973 - it changed its name to The Apollo in 1973 

Alice Cooper - Barclay James Harvest - Beggars Opera - Black Sabbath - Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band - David Bowie - Deep Purple - Donovan - Elton John - Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Family - Free - Genesis - Hawkwind - Humble Pie - Jethro Tull - Jimi Hendrix - John Mayall - King Crimson - Led Zeppelin - Lindisfarne - Mott the Hoople - Paul McCartney & Wings - Pink Floyd - Rory Gallagher - Roxy Music - Slade - Status Quo - Stone the Crows - Ten Years After - The Faces - The Groundhogs - The Rolling Stones - The Who - Uriah Heep - Van der Graaf Generator - West, Bruce and Laing -Wishbone Ash - Yes

1979Poster.jpg.9d681da4aa10ca686966b3a9da3567a0.jpg

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, glasto-worker said:

just spotted a mention to The Green's Playhouse which many will not appreciate was such a main venue in Glasgow.

Thanks to the generosity of my late mum I managed to see loads of bands in the greens/Apollo!  Al the greats, in what I would consider their classic line ups! Craziest gig? Alice Coopers first visit to the U.K., place was bouncing. Hard to pick my fav but the Deep Purple gigs were stunning.