RIP Toots Hibbert

Sadly could see this coming as he moved from being admitted to hospital in Jamaica, then  into ICU. So glad I got to see him a good number of times and recently too. Will never grow tired of his tunes. RIEP sir.

This is not the news I wanted to wake up to 😢

I will always remember my parents taking me to see them at the UEA years back and it starting a real love of both him and the genre. 

RIP Toots. 

5 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Rest easy Toots, I forgive you for keeping me hanging around the West Holts in 2017 - your tunes made my life better. 

Yeah me too!

Monkey Man is the ONE tune guaranteed to get me off my sorry ass and dancing like a fool.

Thank you for the music Toots, RIP.

17 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Rest easy Toots, I forgive you for keeping me hanging around the West Holts in 2017 - your tunes made my life better. 

Oh man, I'm so gutted that he never showed up that year :(

What was the reason in the end? I heard differing stories, that it was his crew's fault or that there was a blockage in movement and he just couldn't get there.

Had really hoped to catch him someday, but never got the chance. I saw Foo Fighters on the Saturday of '17, but my friend went and saw Dead Kennedys followed by a secret set from Toots & the Maytals instead. From what she's told me, it sounds like it was a great night and I definitely was in the wrong place :(

That 2010 set was one of the best things I've seen at Glastonbury. Bought his new album the other week, he was still making good, good music.

The full 2010 set is on YouTube. 

1 hour ago, wonker said:

Oh man, I'm so gutted that he never showed up that year :(

What was the reason in the end? I heard differing stories, that it was his crew's fault or that there was a blockage in movement and he just couldn't get there.

They got on site late for some reason, actually saw them in a Range Rover going towards West Holts as I was walking away, far too late by then for them to play, luckily went to The Dead Kennedys that night and so saw Toots afterwards, so lucky to catch him, RIP Toots.

30 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

They got on site late for some reason, actually saw them in a Range Rover going towards West Holts as I was walking away, far too late by then for them to play, luckily went to The Dead Kennedys that night and so saw Toots afterwards, so lucky to catch him, RIP Toots.

I left the Pyramid to beat the rush, went to the naughty corne, saw him playing (having been there for his no-show at WH) then got a 'thanks and goodnight' at the end of the song. Bah! Saw him at Bestival though v good.