Phoebe fucking Bridgers

jparx

While on a business trip to Dublin last May, I was checking out the bands in town and Better Oblivion CC happened to be in town (Jackpot!).  I had been listening to both Conor's and Phoebe's music for a while, so I was pretty excited to check them out.  They played in a fairly small venue, so it was easy to get as close as you wanted to the stage.  Great set, with several Bright Eyes songs (stand out was their take on Lua) and Brigers's solo songs (Funeral was the main set closer).  Phoebe's voice is every bit as good live as on her recorded stuff.

One other thing that was very obvious was that Conor and Phoebe genuinely liked playing together.  It was the last show on the European leg of the BOCC tour and their was a lot of joking around and talking between songs. Definitely hope to catch either/both of them at some point in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

She’s got a new EP with orchestral versions of four songs from Punisher out later this month. There’s a preorder for the vinyl on Rough Trade if anyone’s interested, limited to 1500 copies.

Love that. The video brings me right back to Glastonbrury - laying awake in bed, staring at the top of the tent while waiting for the acid to wear off after a long evening in the naughty corner.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 7:17 PM, nikkic said:

Anybody seen Punisher on red vinyl in stock anywhere? 

Think I’ve been too slow to order this one. 

Ah another sucker for colour vinyl! I got the blue and green swirly one. The completist in me hates when they do multiple colour versions. 

On 12/15/2020 at 9:18 AM, gigpusher said:

Ah another sucker for colour vinyl! I got the blue and green swirly one. The completist in me hates when they do multiple colour versions. 

Yeah I'm the same. Mind you, I thought I was bad until I spoke to a bloke in the queue on record store day who told me he had 27 different versions of the debut album by The Specials!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Yeah I'm the same. Mind you, I thought I was bad until I spoke to a bloke in the queue on record store day who told me he had 27 different versions of the debut album by The Specials!!!!!!!

I don't think I have the same album more than twice (but I probably do have a fair few twice!!) Yeah there are some people who are proper Stan's about certain artists. I love my music but no one artist enough that I could be like that. I used to work with someone who had seen Big Country over 100 times and when they played he'd basically see every date that he could manage! He was an absolute completist so had every version of everything they had ever done. 

10 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I don't think I have the same album more than twice (but I probably do have a fair few twice!!) Yeah there are some people who are proper Stan's about certain artists. I love my music but no one artist enough that I could be like that. I used to work with someone who had seen Big Country over 100 times and when they played he'd basically see every date that he could manage! He was an absolute completist so had every version of everything they had ever done. 

He just couldn’t Look Away... 

2 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

He just couldn’t Look Away... 

He bloody can't 😄 the guy's obsessed with them! I wouldn't mind but he's the 2nd guy I have worked with who was a massive Big Country fan. The other was obsessed in different ways though he used to make videos on You Tube for their songs etc. They may not have the biggest fanbase but clearly a fanatical one. 

12 hours ago, Copperface said:

Anyone tried the Christmas EP If we make it through  December yet? 

Seems apt for the moment in which we are....

It's so beautiful. Not really in the mood for the usual sugar coated Christmas songs this year so this EP was a Godsend to get me in some form of Christmassy mood.

Edited by Johnkhutch