Neighbourhood Weekender 2021

Jack.194

16 hours ago, gfa said:

Easy Life were being absolute knobs apparently yesterday, main guy was telling James etc to fuck off on stage and asking who all the other bands were. Absolute diva, can tell they are going to become really hit or miss live.

edit: any word on Catfish? apparently for Cocoon was just van singing and the others all left

Catfish supporting Stereophonics and Tom Jones in Cardiff in December

16 hours ago, gfa said:

Easy Life were being absolute knobs apparently yesterday, main guy was telling James etc to fuck off on stage and asking who all the other bands were. Absolute diva, can tell they are going to become really hit or miss live.

edit: any word on Catfish? apparently for Cocoon was just van singing and the others all left

Never mentioned any other bands, and it was a fair question, who the fuck are James?

22 hours ago, gfa said:

You mean the bit at the end of the song where Van gets the crowd to sing the chorus one last time after the band have finished performing it? 

The bit he’s been doing for years? I swear some people literally want to manufacture drama around Catfish right now.

Maybe they will split up soon, and there is a weird vibe around the band right now but Van’s been doing that for years it’s not a sign of anything. 

First time and not sure I'd hurry back to be honest. Saturday felt like there just wasn't much on for me but in contrast Sunday was packed out and missed half the band's due to clashes. Just a shame they couldn't split it better but suppose logistically not their fault. Couple of Sound issues in the Big Top on Sat too so everything was pushed back and meant I had to miss even more.

It's a massive trek from Warrington Central and to get in to the site you have to go right the way around which was a bit shit. Queues for food on Sunday were insane, some had about 50 or so people in. Same for the toilets all around the site at certain points. No queues at the bar which was a plus.

Generally people were nice but had my mood killed on Saturday waiting for the toilet with my girlfriend and some women behind were shouting to hurry up when she was in there. Then they started commenting on me waiting and I said I'm waiting for my girlfriend but I am going to go as well. They started shouting abuse at me saying to piss against the fence, I said I'm entitled to go like everyone else that's queued. I said for a joke I'll be extra long now and the bloke with them said "you fucking won't I'll push it over". Just hate self entitled pricks like that. Kind of ruined my vibe at that point and I couldn't get in the mood for James.

Much better crowd on Sunday thankfully.

Also it was a shame to see the main stage not have any delay speaker stacks. You had to get right up near the sound booth to hear anything really. Sound could definitely do with improving next time.

Edited by D-Low

My first time to the festival this year too, and can't say me or my partner were that impressed. Maybe we've been spoiled by the joys of 110 Above. Didn't realise how much of a trek it is from Warrington, wouldn't be too bad if you didn't have to walk through half the park for the specific entrance. 

Went on the Saturday and managed to blag VIP tickets from friends. VIP area wasn't and felt overcrowded too, so glad we didn't pay more for that. Very limited food options in this area too, was going to get food from the other stalls outside of the VIP area but the queues for these (and the toilets) were beyond ridiculous. Plus the entrance is right next to the main stage meaning it's a real hassle to even be able to get in and out when acts are on the main stage. It created such an awful bottleneck of people trying to get to main stage and out towards the other two stages. 

It all felt really overcrowded, with no space around the main stage at all. The crowd's weren't great, a lot of dickheads, but that's apparently standard now at these bigger festivals. Saw Zuzu first, but the Big Top's sound had some real issues, and while her set was decent, the sound wasn't good. Same for The Magic Gang on the main stage. Their sound was far too quiet, and we weren't even far back either. The crowds around us too, had zero interest in any of their songs and just stood around chatting loudly or throwing drinks. Vistas were great, a great replacement for Snuts and were probably the best act of the day for me. The Big Moon were great as usual, reliable and fun! Didn't care for Sam Fender, find him boring anyway, left when he went off because of the crowd issues. Reverend and the Makers were pushed back, and honestly, despite being from Sheffield, I just can't get into this band, or their vibe at all. Watched till Heavyweight Champion of the World and then buggered off back to the train to Manchester.

Don't think I'd go back, not unless there was someone I was dying to see on. 

• Downvote 1

Surprised by the negative comments so thought I'd have a little review! Our first time and thought it was excellent. Well laid out, queues for toilets and food were about par, bars were nice and quick. Travel seems to be a theme thats an issue, luckily got a close hotel booked as soon as it was rescheduled so perhaps that helped alot.

Crowd a mixed bag..  drinks throwing seems constant now, mostly nice people though. Thought the scenery and decorations were cool but a little 'tin-pot', perhaps unfairly comparing to Glastonbury.

Dark Fruits & Amstel were lovely (£6), Double Vodka Red Bull (£10) was useful once a day at 5pm, G & T (£?) average. didn't branch out other than that.

All round thumbs up and felt so good to be back in a field!

My general music thoughts on what we watched:

Saturday

The Coral - 6  - only just made it due to an overzealous predrinks, everyone around us seems to be waiting for dreaming of you, a fun start

Jake Bugg - 6 - Expected a bit more but was decent, liking the new upbeat album

Sam Fender - 8 - Boy is seriously good! Set marred by crowd trouble but recovered it well, loved it.

James - 6 - not my thing but entertaining, kept a casual here happy by doing the big hitters.

Sunday

Red Rum Club - 8 - so good! Previously unknown to others in my group all came out raving about them.

The Lathums - 9 - such a shame they only got 25 mins, going places, can't wait to see them again.

Inhaler - 4 - First slight dissapointment, just sounded like noise after enjoying getting to know them the last few weeks, maybe sound issues.

Sea girls / Wombats - 6 - Tried to do half and half so not fair to judge, should have stuck with one.. Will never learn! Both sounding good, Wombats were dark fruits fueled fun.

Catfish - 8 - Always liked not loved them personally but the crowd were bouncing, thought Van was on point though not much interaction as has been said previously. A great way to finish.

Overall a fantastic time from start to finish. Wasn't too bothered about no after party entertainment but that might be age catching up with me. Looking at previous lineups they might need to get more creative soon but hitting their target audience well.

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah that was my thought too - a particular band playing both and dictating the announcement perhaps? 

Probably on the larger side, given stereophonics just announced their UK tour i’m leaning towards them dictating. Not sure courteeners would dictate really if they are also playing

55 minutes ago, gfa said:

Probably on the larger side, given stereophonics just announced their UK tour i’m leaning towards them dictating. Not sure courteeners would dictate really if they are also playing

Yeah I was thinking the same! Plus if courteeners were dictating it you'd expect it to be after their big gig at the weekend to get interest when it's still in people's minds 

Edited by efcfanwirral

48 minutes ago, thetime said:

Kasabian in there current guise headlining a 25k festival, hhhmmm not sure about that.

Means they are accepting small stuff = smaller slots which is only a good thing given how many bangers they have. Might even mean they sub reading honestly

1 hour ago, Jonesy1 said:

I can’t imagine that’ll take very long to sell out.

Me neither but I've got so much money invested in gigs next year so happy to have two events out the picture after tonight.

39 minutes ago, gfa said:

Means they are accepting small stuff = smaller slots which is only a good thing given how many bangers they have. Might even mean they sub reading honestly

They wouldn't headline Reading.