When did you last go to a proper gig?

Ayrshire Chris

Clutch at the Roundhouse back in December. I keep a track of the number of bands I see per year (seeing is more than 20mins at a festival, or going to a gig). Most years it's 60-80. This year is will be none, my last hope Skindred just re-scheduled and this effing thing is doing an encore, so not hopeful of any gigs soon.

Halsey at the millenium dome 8th March. A few kids in the crowd were masked up but the feeling wasn't as panicky as it was come the following friday 13th at Stewart Lee, where both he and the audience had the sort of feeling you get at work when it starts snowing heavily in the middle of the afternoon - sure we're fine now, but should we abandon everything now before the badness really comes?

Had an IDLES DJ night on the 14th and Louise Redknapp on the 16th, but I bailed on both.

On 9/4/2020 at 9:01 AM, Gnomicide said:

The Hold Steady - Camden Electric Ballroom on 7th March.

20200307_215250.thumb.jpg.a91aedcf9e9d23dcac9056c130559d4f.jpg

Football was Liverpool v Athletico Madrid on 11th March. 

The Weekender was my last 3 shows, always so much joy! 🤣 The two nights in the Ballroom and then the Sunday in Bush Hall, followed by all the pubs being closed and us all deciding to fuck it off and we'd meet up for drinks in a couple of weeks or so... that went well.  

On 9/6/2020 at 10:33 AM, discgoesmic said:

Frank Turner at St David’s Hall, Cardiff on the 24th November 2019. He dedicated one segment to No Mans Land and gave commentary on the tracks in between and then did a full 1.5 hours of hits. One of the best gigs I’ve ever attended.

Saw the Birmingham show, far exceeded my expectations. Seen Frank a lot, and that was one of the best. 

10 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Clutch at the Roundhouse back in December. I keep a track of the number of bands I see per year (seeing is more than 20mins at a festival, or going to a gig). Most years it's 60-80. This year is will be none, my last hope Skindred just re-scheduled and this effing thing is doing an encore, so not hopeful of any gigs soon.

A year without Clutch-mas is a year not worthy of being a year. 

I did well this year, considering how early everything got cut off. Frank Turner here in Exeter and then Brian Fallon at the 100 Club the next night as part of independent venue week. 

The Mysterines (brilliant) at the Louisiana in Bristol and the end of Feb, then Sleater-Kinney at Vicar Street in Dublin (randomly opened my Euros wallet and found Corin's pick, which I'd forgotten I had, cue sadness about no gig). 

The last gigs were the Hold Steady's weekender in London, as mentioned above. Next, who knows? Ian Prowse in Liverpool in December is the next one I have a ticket for.

Stacks of stuff rescheduled for next year, come on science people, get those vaccines approved! 

11 hours ago, Dark Star said:

Saw the Birmingham show, far exceeded my expectations. Seen Frank a lot, and that was one of the best. 

Couldn't agree more, I'm fairly new to his music and I was amazed at the amount of people wearing tour shirts. I didn't realise how loyal his following is until then. Normally you see a few people, but this seemed to be the majority.

It was also the first time I heard 'I am Disappeared' - such an amazing track to hear live. The only one he didn't play was 'If I Stray' which is one of my favourites, but was still brilliant.

I did a few eerie ones in the buildup to the lockdown.

Georgia @ Bristol Thekla 11th March - Full but definitely aware of people being more thorough with the handwashing (so common for guys to just walk straight out without even looking at a sink)

So Solid Crew @ Kentish Town Forum 13th March - This one was very quiet, lots of talk about the virus and very serious handwashing going on

Louise Redknapp @ Cardiff Tramshed 16th March - This was a very odd experience. Apparently it has not sold particularly well anyway, lots of cheap Groupon offers, but a high % of those with tix had decided not to turn up. About 80-90 people in 1000 cap venue. Lots of handwashing, masks etc. Quite clear that the end was nigh!

Fortunately did quite a few 'normal' ones in Jan & Feb - Bombay Bicycle Club, Ider, Carly Rae Jepsen, Madonna, Los Campesinos, Angel Olsen, The 1975, Cage the Elephant & Editors.

Have done some socially distanced ones recently (Maximo Park, The Libertines x 2, Beans on Toast) but as someone who goes to several a month, I am desperate to get back to gigs now.

Rumour of Fleetwood Mac, an absolutely ace tribute band, Torquay Princess Theatre, the weekend before lockdown in a March.

I remember being the last people to leave The Railway Pub in Newton Abbot that night, doors locked behind us not knowing when they would open(or ever open) again. Fortunately they have survived and remain alive and kicking. 

An excellent night, with a strange undertone of wtf happens next; nothing much has changed since.

Stuck on 97 live acts for the year and I'm not sure I'll see another. Managed to catch 26 bands in the post-lockdown hiatus period of mid-August to early-Sept, but I've not been to any in the past 10 days as it feels similar to that March period where they're still going ahead, but morally it doesn't right to go along. My best hopes are the seated events the Barbican are putting on in October, which look to be well-spaced and might survive any further restrictions.

My last proper gig was the final day of the 6 Music Festival in Camden on 8th March, with Nadine Shah, Jehnny Beth, Anna Meredith, Kim Gordon and Kate Tempest. Tempest finished with a frankly spine-tingly rendition of People's Faces and for 5 months that was fittingly the lost song I'd heard live.

My last socially-distant gig was Plot 63, The Pink Eye Club, The Lunacy of Flowers and Skrot Centralen at Brixton Windmil on 10th September.

I've got tonnes booked and am still booking, especially for smaller acts, but the one I'm probably most looking forward to is Jon Hopkins at The Royal Albert Hall. I massively lucked out with a cheap front row ticket on Twickets. That was scheduled for 18th March, but was one of the few to get cancelled at the end of this tour.

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2020 at 7:19 PM, JHad said:

Stuck on 97 live acts for the year and I'm not sure I'll see another. Managed to catch 26 bands in the post-lockdown hiatus period of mid-August to early-Sept, but I've not been to any in the past 10 days as it feels similar to that March period where they're still going ahead, but morally it doesn't right to go along. My best hopes are the seated events the Barbican are putting on in October, which look to be well-spaced and might survive any further restrictions.

My last proper gig was the final day of the 6 Music Festival in Camden on 8th March, with Nadine Shah, Jehnny Beth, Anna Meredith, Kim Gordon and Kate Tempest. Tempest finished with a frankly spine-tingly rendition of People's Faces and for 5 months that was fittingly the lost song I'd heard live.

My last socially-distant gig was Plot 63, The Pink Eye Club, The Lunacy of Flowers and Skrot Centralen at Brixton Windmil on 10th September.

I've got tonnes booked and am still booking, especially for smaller acts, but the one I'm probably most looking forward to is Jon Hopkins at The Royal Albert Hall. I massively lucked out with a cheap front row ticket on Twickets. That was scheduled for 18th March, but was one of the few to get cancelled at the end of this tour.

97?! Bloody hell.

We have tickets for Hopkins but I'm not expecting it to go ahead really. Are you? Tickets were sold before the pandemic so they wouldn't be able to distance at that capacity.

On 9/25/2020 at 9:24 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

FE944502-2B3B-47EC-99A3-26B07160A095.thumb.jpeg.c46ba033c8a85035d6d3bedf699d617c.jpeg

so for me that means the Norwegian singer Aurora who we saw in Glasgow in November , and previously in the JP tent last Glasto .  Suits me absolutely perfectly ❤️though Mrs c would have something to say about this😉

Nightmare for me as they even apparently has an argument as they left the stage at the gig I was at! Brothers, eh? Orbital.

On 9/25/2020 at 9:24 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

FE944502-2B3B-47EC-99A3-26B07160A095.thumb.jpeg.c46ba033c8a85035d6d3bedf699d617c.jpeg

That'll be Thyla then.  On the plus side they seem nice. The artwork for the first single they released in lockdown was a mockup of a Sega Megadrive game box, so maybe we'd have a retro gaming thing going on too.

Edited by Quark