Control over advertising

tarw

34 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I hadn't even thought about ads. But there again, I've used an browser based adblocker for years. When I occasionally turn it off, i'm shocked by the amount of ads,popups and such like that seem to infest sites.

I know adblockers are commonplace, but admitting you're using one is a bit like walking into a pub and openly swigging your own beer in front of the landlord. If you're going to be on here regularly, then have the decency to either go gold or turn whitelist the site.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

And access to another theme, I think, not that I ever use it.

Much safer for work than the pink one but not that it’s too relevant right now wfh

Of all the gold features listed my undoubted favourite is when clicking to the next page of a thread. Rather than load a complete new page it loads the next page of comments on the page you’re already on.

Hard to explain what I mean but other gold members can possibly explain better than I can. It so much smoother with it though.

19 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Of all the gold features listed my undoubted favourite is when clicking to the next page of a thread. Rather than load a complete new page it loads the next page of comments on the page you’re already on.

Hard to explain what I mean but other gold members can possibly explain better than I can. It so much smoother with it though.

It's an AJAX call is the techie term. Why do you like it so much? It's not much quicker, is it?

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's an AJAX call is the techie term. Why do you like it so much? It's not much quicker, is it?

For me I think it feels a lot smoother than loading the entire page again, not necessarily quicker.
Although with my crap ISP (FibreNest, avoid like the plague) the less it has to load the better so it may actually be quicker for me than others too.

13 hours ago, Copperface said:

I hadn't even thought about ads. But there again, I've used an browser based adblocker for years. When I occasionally turn it off, i'm shocked by the amount of ads,popups and such like that seem to infest sites.

because you think websites are created for free for you, just because you're you? 

I'm guessing you like getting paid for the work you do? Perhaps think that others do too, and give up your freeloading?

You have ad-blocking. I have user-blocking.

What's your decision?

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

because you think websites are created for free for you, just because you're you? 

I'm guessing you like getting paid for the work you do? Perhaps think that others do too, and give up your freeloading?

What's your decision?

Do you get revenue for clicking the ads on the site?

I keep trying to find these girls in my area that it’s always advertising 😂

26 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

That's all that's needed to support this site right?

Not 'all'. The advertising or 'gold' subscriptions are needed too.

But yes, buying tickets via the links on this site helps generate the funds to keep the site going.

Right now, things are very financially fucked. ;) 

Edited by eFestivals

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

What's your decision?

No, nothing as deep as that.

I hadn't really even considered the effects of usage on a website such as this. I use one out of habit as it was built into the browser and necessity, same as I do a VPN. It just becomes ingrained.

I have been working out in the former Soviet republics, and security of connection when sitting in a hotel in Kyiv, or Minsk is the first thing you think of and the first things you enable and leave activated are the VPN and the blocker.. 

Never seen it as freeloading at all, but once I stop and consider the cumulative effects on website owners then I understand the frustration, but maybe a little education goes a lot further than straight up aggression.

I would guess that most computer savvy people are doing the same thing and I have no hesitation in continuing to use such tech on the vast majority of websites.

Until I googled 'Is using an adblocker unethical', I never even realised that there was a debate or strong feelings either way.

But I do now appreciate the effect it might have on sites such as yours.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, morph100 said:

Targeted advertising based on your browsing history, I just see Adidas trainers.

I work for a newspaper company, a few years ago this old boy rang up to complain that that his local paper's website had ads for adult websites on. He swiftly put the phone down when someone told him the ads were all based on his browsing history

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

hmmm. 

Do you really expect me to believe that you go to the trouble of an adblocker without it ever occurring to you why there's ads in the first place? ;) 

Truth be told, I've done it before with exactly that approach.  It's conversations on here with you about the business model and where your revenue streams are from that have shone a light on the fact that those ad popups are actually a revenue source as opposed to just an annoyance to be avoided.

So yeah, when someone said to me about using an adblocker my thought process wasn't "well I know this affects XXX's financial position but I can live with that to make my day easier"; it genuinely didn't cross my mind.  And no it wasn't on your site, so you're not allowed to block me ;)

It's a similar thing (bear with me on this) to mayo in shop-bought sandwiches.  I've been a free range egg buyer for donkey's years, but mayo was always a blind spot.  Not because I didn't care, but because my brain hadn't even made that connection.

23 hours ago, Quark said:

Truth be told, I've done it before with exactly that approach.  It's conversations on here with you about the business model and where your revenue streams are from that have shone a light on the fact that those ad popups are actually a revenue source as opposed to just an annoyance to be avoided.

So yeah, when someone said to me about using an adblocker my thought process wasn't "well I know this affects XXX's financial position but I can live with that to make my day easier"; it genuinely didn't cross my mind.  And no it wasn't on your site, so you're not allowed to block me ;)

It's a similar thing (bear with me on this) to mayo in shop-bought sandwiches.  I've been a free range egg buyer for donkey's years, but mayo was always a blind spot.  Not because I didn't care, but because my brain hadn't even made that connection.

Yep, could describe me a few years ago too. Literally thoughtlessness