2022 Festival

23 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s actually quite upsetting to see the Rage day being by far the worst selling day. 

Was very easy for me to get my ticket.

Mad how much things change. I remember in 2008 they were THE band everyone was talking about seeing, and drew by far the hugest crowd. Keep in mind the other two headliners that year were Metallica and The Killers, two of the biggest bands in the world who would have little trouble selling out anywhere they played, and yet they had a much bigger crowd than either of them. That whole day felt like it was just building up to Rage's set and everyone else on the bill may as well have been a support act.

But now I'm willing to bet they will draw the smallest crowd out of all six headliners this year, not just the MSE lot.

Edited by VCK

Just now, Andre91 said:

How do you know it’s selling any worse or better than the other day that’s still available? 

Looking at the lineup it’s a very strange day to sell

As someone who you’d assume is core RATM fodder (40 something heavy music fan), there is nothing else programmed on that day that I’m slightly interested in at the mo. 

Well that’s an exaggeration, I’m interested in seeing Halsey but imagine your average RATM ‘fan’ has never heard of her, or indeed Maneskin or quite probably Run the Jewels, which is very different stuff, even if there is a crossover in younger fans. They’ll make a much smaller number.

Theyre clearly trying to appeal to many camps, while not blowing a sub le one out fo the water, so I imagine they’ll be slow steady sales as the lineup fills out

4 minutes ago, VCK said:

Mad how much things change. I remember in 2008 they were THE band everyone was talking about seeing, and drew by far the hugest crowd. Keep in mind the other two headliners that year were Metallica and The Killers, two of the biggest bands in the world, and yet they had a much bigger crowd than either of them. That whole day felt like it was just building up to Rage's set and everyone on the bill may as well have been a support act.

But now I'm willing to bet they will draw the smallest crowd out of all six headliners this year, not just the MSE lot.

Yup. Even for the kids then it was all about Rage. 

14 years is a long time…

3 minutes ago, Benj said:

Yup. Even for the kids then it was all about Rage. 

14 years is a long time…

14 years. 😮 Fuck me, where does the time go? I remember that weekend very, very well.

For what it's worth Metallica put on the best performance that year, they were absolutely outstanding. Rage second best. Manics in the tent on the Sunday night were superb too and rounded off a perfect weekend of music.

QOTSA were dogshit that year.

Edited by VCK

People aren't going to bother paying all that money for a day ticket to see Rage when the second biggest act on the bill is Halsey and they know they can wait for the inevitable tour or even another date next summer. For rage fans if anything the lineup has been downgraded, with RTJ being the main sub now instead of third down, as whatever they're playing on MSE is completely irrelevant with that crowd.

Edited by Aech

Amazing how many on here spend half of the time saying how massive Arctics and Dave are and how they are much more relevant to the R/L demographic than Rage, then spend the other half of the time going on about the Rage day taking longer to sell out than Arctics and Dave.

Surely if they’re bigger and more relevant then it shouldn’t be a surprise they sell out first?

(not that it matters as all three days will sell out anyway)

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Realistically, how could they book a RATM day? If their target audience is 40 somethings as suggested above, how can R&L cater to them? 

I’m sure their day will sell out eventually and they will pull a crowd that is just fine. 

The best they can do is a similar day to the Blink day in 2010, Green Day day in 2013, or Eminem day in 2017 where they throw in a few older 90s/00s acts for mid/high main stage slots but that would probably make the day sell out even slower.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Realistically, how could they book a RATM day? If their target audience is 40 somethings as suggested above, how can R&L cater to them? 

I’m sure their day will sell out eventually and they will pull a crowd that is just fine. 

I think 40 somethings is a bit of an exaggeration, more like 21+, so older than most of the R&L crowd.

Edited by Aech

1 hour ago, VCK said:

The best they can do is a similar day to the Blink day in 2010, Green Day day in 2013, or Eminem day in 2017 where they throw in a few older 90s/00s acts for mid/high main stage slots but that would probably make the day sell out even slower.

You mean the Blink and Green Day days which were booked way back when rock music was the dominant genre amongst the main target audience? Neither of those days would fly as well in 2022.

The Eminem day in 2017; would that really have appealed to the same crowd as RATM? I don’t think so. Eminem in 2017 wasn’t the same Eminem that would have appealed to the rock audience like the Eminem of 2001 did. KoRn were an anomaly and At The Drive in drew nobody that day. Would your average RATM fan be bothered by Major Lazer, Migos and PVRIS? I doubt it, no more than they would RTJ, Måneskin and Halsey. 

The Foos day in 2019 is a better comparison. I’m sure if the undercard on that Rage day ends up featuring some rock bands, it’ll look just fine; the Halsey stage too. She’s very much alternative and appeals to rock fans, especially that latest album. 

Edited by Andre91

3 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Is there any actual info or proof that suggests that the Rage day is selling slower than the Dave/Stallion day? Or is it another one of those things that been repeated so often that people think it is fact.

No, there isn’t any evidence beyond what people see on social media. I’ve not seen anyone going mad for Megan (even in the comments on R&L’s tweets) but I have seen lots of people excited for Halsey and RATM but then again that’s more to do with who I follow and I wouldn’t base which day is selling best off of that. It’s a baseless comment. 

15 minutes ago, nathanh said:

How many mainstage acts are left to be filled do we think? 

You get 42 mainstage acts with the 2 stages (7 per stage per day). I'd say we still have 175 acts to be announced with 15 of them being mainstage acts. 

The below is 100% a guess at placements to get a rough idea the levels that can be announced...

MSE //

Dave >> Polo G >> Little Simz >> TBA >> Joy Crooks >> TBA >> TBA

Arctics >> Wolf Alice >> Fontaines DC >> Jack Harlow >> TBA >> The Lathums >> TBA

Rage >> RTJ >> Manneskin >> Pale Waves  >> TBA >> TBA >> Chloe Moriondo

MSW//

MTS >> Glass Animals >> Circa Waves >> Griff >> TBA >> Wallows >> TBA 

BMTH >> Enter Shikari >> JXDN >> Madison Beer >> TBA >> Tai Verdes >> TBA

Halsey >> Bastille >> TBA >> Ardee >> TBA >> TBA >> TBA

Other stages...

Dance (36 acts) - Wilkinson, Hybrid Minds

1xtra (36 acts) - Denzel Curry, Pinkpantheress

Pit/lockup (36 acts) - Fever 333, Kid Brunswick

Introducing (30 acts) - N/A

Alternaitve (30 acts) - N/A

47 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

You mean the Blink and Green Day days which were booked way back when rock music was the dominant genre amongst the main target audience? Neither of those days would fly as well in 2022.

The Eminem day in 2017; would that really have appealed to the same crowd as RATM? I don’t think so. Eminem in 2017 wasn’t the same Eminem that would have appealed to the rock audience like the Eminem of 2001 did. KoRn were an anomaly and At The Drive in drew nobody that day. Would your average RATM fan be bothered by Major Lazer, Migos and PVRIS? I doubt it, no more than they would RTJ, Måneskin and Halsey. 

The Foos day in 2019 is a better comparison. I’m sure if the undercard on that Rage day ends up featuring some rock bands, it’ll look just fine; the Halsey stage too. She’s very much alternative and appeals to rock fans, especially that latest album. 

Yeah, as I said that approach would probably be the best they could do. Though acts like KoRn and ATDI would suit a day headlined by RATM. And I'm sure the likes of Limp Bizkit, Weezer and SOAD would still go down fairly well with the crowd, albeit not as much as they would 10-15 years ago.

That said, the day Rage were originally booked for in 2020 looked miles outside of their demographic so who knows? It's a sign of the times that an act who were once considered a quintessential R&L act now look like an anomaly on the line-up.

41 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

You get 42 mainstage acts with the 2 stages (7 per stage per day). I'd say we still have 175 acts to be announced with 15 of them being mainstage acts. 

The below is 100% a guess at placements to get a rough idea the levels that can be announced...

MSE //

Dave >> Polo G >> Little Simz >> TBA >> Joy Crooks >> TBA >> TBA

Arctics >> Wolf Alice >> Fontaines DC >> Jack Harlow >> TBA >> The Lathums >> TBA

Rage >> RTJ >> Manneskin >> Pale Waves  >> TBA >> TBA >> Chloe Moriondo

MSW//

MTS >> Glass Animals >> Circa Waves >> Griff >> TBA >> Wallows >> TBA 

BMTH >> Enter Shikari >> JXDN >> Madison Beer >> TBA >> Tai Verdes >> TBA

Halsey >> Bastille >> TBA >> Ardee >> TBA >> TBA >> TBA

Other stages...

Dance (36 acts) - Wilkinson, Hybrid Minds

1xtra (36 acts) - Denzel Curry, Pinkpantheress

Pit/lockup (36 acts) - Fever 333, Kid Brunswick

Introducing (30 acts) - N/A

Alternaitve (30 acts) - N/A

Wouldn’t be shocked if you saw pale waves headline the FR on the sunday (assuming they do the same as last year and only have it for one day)

6 minutes ago, VCK said:

Yeah, as I said that approach would probably be the best they could do. Though acts like KoRn and ATDI would suit a day headlined by RATM. And I'm sure the likes of Limp Bizkit, Weezer and SOAD would still go down fairly well with the crowd, albeit not as much as they would 10-15 years ago.

That said, the day Rage were originally booked for in 2020 looked miles outside of their demographic so who knows? It's a sign of the times that an act who were once considered a quintessential R&L act now look like an anomaly on the line-up.

Weezer are just a tiktok meme at this point so may actually do okay. Limp and SOAD would be empty.

I guess the thing is theres not much point booking older acts who appeal to people that are only coming back because of one artist and no way will be back next year vs getting repeat attendees

3 hours ago, VCK said:

Mad how much things change. I remember in 2008 they were THE band everyone was talking about seeing, and drew by far the hugest crowd. Keep in mind the other two headliners that year were Metallica and The Killers, two of the biggest bands in the world who would have little trouble selling out anywhere they played, and yet they had a much bigger crowd than either of them. That whole day felt like it was just building up to Rage's set and everyone else on the bill may as well have been a support act.

I reckon both the Sunday Reading acts will have the smallest crowds of the weekend. Dave and AM will have pretty much everyone at the festival watching them with a solid crowd for Megan too. BMTH/Halsey/RATM will all be a decent way behind - RATM could be bolstered by it being the final act of the weekend.