2022 Festival

5 hours ago, Benj said:

Wolf Alice are great live, as in a properly good live band who put on an engaging show. They pride themselves or doing everything live though, no backing tapes at all. Maybe that just doesn’t slide today

Deffo lack singalongs though and ‘party tunes’ of any nature given what’s en vogue at the mo

I'm still massively jealous of friends of mine who saw Wolf Alice at a club in Milton Keynes in 2014. When I saw them just over a year later, they'd sold out Brixton Academy.

They are a very good live act though. Even if both times I've seen them, there's been poor sound quality (Brixton was muffled, while the main stage at Truck Festival was notably better on one side than the other and I chose wrong for WA).

11 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Think I was at all of the above's main stage sets in recent years and am/have been a big fan of them all at some point too. I'm never inspired by any of them when they get announced as a third down/sub but when they actually play it it's been decent. TDCC was a prime example this year for me. At least The Kooks' front man had a dig at Melvin on stage last time at the lack of guitar bands on the bill

I got caught out by how rowdy the crowd was for Two Door Cinema Club at Reading 2017 - felt close to being dangerously congested in the front. Saw they drew a big crowd from the feed this year as well, though have definitely noticed both in broadcasts of their gigs and when seeing their gigs themselves that the crowd go mental for first album tracks and not so much for the rest of it. They have some decent tracks from the other LP's but it is certainly notable.

24 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I got caught out by how rowdy the crowd was for Two Door Cinema Club at Reading 2017 - felt close to being dangerously congested in the front. Saw they drew a big crowd from the feed this year as well, though have definitely noticed both in broadcasts of their gigs and when seeing their gigs themselves that the crowd go mental for first album tracks and not so much for the rest of it. They have some decent tracks from the other LP's but it is certainly notable.

Yeah it was a way bigger crowd this year than I expected but it was all about the first album as you say. I wasn’t too interested when walking over from The Wombats via the bar but once they started playing the older stuff everything picked up. They were very good back in 2016 in the R1 too.

37 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Yeah it was a way bigger crowd this year than I expected but it was all about the first album as you say. I wasn’t too interested when walking over from The Wombats via the bar but once they started playing the older stuff everything picked up. They were very good back in 2016 in the R1 too.

A quick check says about half their set came from their first album and I can imagine those were the moments when the crowd was more up for it.

8 hours ago, gfa said:

Shit indie disco isn't really an accurate representation of 2021 nightlife in the UK haha. I was under the assumption people scream the words of every song honestly, i always see it on Instagram

Shindie is the best night ever, every one a legend 

On 10/21/2021 at 10:20 PM, gfa said:

I would say honestly recently new acts are coming through more than like 2-3 years ago. Lots of acts just reaching that point right now like Fender, Gerry and promising acts lower down like Easy Life who i reckon are going to become one of those acts you listed in a few years honestly.

Actually this is a good point, you also have the IDLES/Slaves/Fontaines pool of punk type stuff too (yeah I know Fontaines are Irish but...)

Loads of good rock bands emerging out of America and Australia in the past few years too, but not much coverage for them.

I think the problem is that the music press has suddenly decided that rock is no longer cool and it's an outdated style, and mainstream corporate backed pop is the real counterculture, which has influenced its decline in popularity.

23 hours since the last post, probably the longest i've seen the main Reading thread ever. Just listened to the debut gang of youths album, would love to see them make an appearance although feel like they probably wouldn't, being so suited to a early evening R1 set.