2022 Festival

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

If that tour sells out, whether it happens this year or gets rescheduled, they’re big enough to outright headline. 

They're never going to be the biggest name on their day. This is a band on a decline from their That's the Spirit peak.

If the band are still stubborn about not wanting to share headline billing then Slam Dunk is the next festival they headline.

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

They're never going to be the biggest name on their day. This is a band on a decline from their That's the Spirit peak.

If the band are still stubborn about not wanting to share headline billing then Slam Dunk is the next festival they headline.

No band that sells out the O2 (*if* they do sell it out) is headlining Slam Dunk. 

14 hours ago, Andre91 said:

If that tour sells out, whether it happens this year or gets rescheduled, they’re big enough to outright headline. 

Whilst I get that assertion, I think we’ve been saying this for a long time now.

Something clearly isn’t matching up. They haven’t played Download for fucking ages. They haven’t played R&L in a proper slot for ages... but they have played a tiny slot on Glasto’s other stage and headlined a day at APE.

There has to be something pretty big we don’t know to explain their absence from two festivals that should be their bread and butter. I think @dentalplan has it right. 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

No band that sells out the O2 (*if* they do sell it out) is headlining Slam Dunk. 

I don’t mean next year. I mean that nothing bigger seems willing to give them the headline slot they want in the future.

38 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Whilst I get that assertion, I think we’ve been saying this for a long time now.

Something clearly isn’t matching up. They haven’t played Download for fucking ages. They haven’t played R&L in a proper slot for ages... but they have played a tiny slot on Glasto’s other stage and headlined a day at APE.

There has to be something pretty big we don’t know to explain their absence from two festivals that should be their bread and butter. I think @dentalplan has it right. 

The most curious thing to me is their secret set at Reading to launch the new album cycle and then Festival Republic just let them go to an AEG festival instead of reaping the returns. There are two FR fests they could headline and also FR coulda staged an outdoor show like they did for Queens.

Seems clear that they’re not seen as an act big enough to lead the day’s lineup (verified by APE sales) so the new Reading stage setup is perfect for the ‘headline or nothing’ types that wouldn’t headline in normal circumstances.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:so the new Reading stage setup is perfect for the ‘headline or nothing’ types that wouldn’t headline in normal circumstances.

...and yet they weren’t booked for it.

I don’t know what it is but it feels like FR aren’t even willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. There is probably a reason we don’t see.

34 minutes ago, stanh said:

what would we think of this for 2022, or too strong? (this is as if this year goes ahead)

MSE: Tame Impala / Khalid / Haim

MSW: Dave / Bastille / Future

(Future -> Haim -> Bastille -> Khalid ->Dave ->Tame Impala)

MSE: Travis Scott / Megan Thee Stallion / The Kooks

MSW: Bring Me The Horizon / Rex Orange County / Fredo

(Fredo -> The Kooks -> Rex Orange County-> Megan Thee Stallion -> Bring Me The Horizon -> Travis Scott)

MSE: Billie Eilish / Lizzo / Architects

MSW: Courteeners / Roddy Ricch / Jorja Smith

(Jorja Smith -> Architects -> Roddy Ricch -> Lizzo -> Courteeners -> Billie Eilish)

Haim and Future are too low. They'd both sub.

Rest looks fair enough, think Architects would sub BMTH if they were both there.

45 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

That Bicep album wasn’t nearly as good as their first one, which I consider to be one of the best electronic releases of the 2010’s.

I agree good sir. I was merely pointing out that they were both in a tight chart race and I felt like it was Bicep’s time to bag a #1. Oh well! A #2 album for an act like them is still an impressive result. Said it before but I used to see them in 100 capacity venues and the promoters went heaven and above (drink vouchers included) to sell out the gig. They’ve come a long long way.

2 hours ago, stanh said:

what would we think of this for 2022, or too strong? (this is as if this year goes ahead)

MSE: Tame Impala / Khalid / Haim

MSW: Dave / Bastille / Future

(Future -> Haim -> Bastille -> Khalid ->Dave ->Tame Impala)

MSE: Travis Scott / Megan Thee Stallion / The Kooks

MSW: Bring Me The Horizon / Rex Orange County / Fredo

(Fredo -> The Kooks -> Rex Orange County-> Megan Thee Stallion -> Bring Me The Horizon -> Travis Scott)

MSE: Billie Eilish / Lizzo / Architects

MSW: Courteeners / Roddy Ricch / Jorja Smith

(Jorja Smith -> Architects -> Roddy Ricch -> Lizzo -> Courteeners -> Billie Eilish)

On the right sort of lines though. Tame Impala and BMTH is a question mark for reasons discussed above - but I’d definitely see those sorts of acts being chased by the festival.

If Glastonbury isn’t in a place to go for Billie and R&L is willing to give Dave a headline slot (before Glastonbury) then I can see that being likely.

Then again... this is R&L. We need some kind of bullshittery in there. 

Just going to float it that on R&L’s time scales - Fall Out Boy, Panic, Biffy are all due a return now. 

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

Ik I always have defended Tame Impala but I really do think Kevin and the boys come back next year. Maybe it’s pure hope but I think they could smash a headline shot.

in terms of the 6 above, I would say even though they have never headlined before they’ve all performed before at the festival. Billie, Travis and Dave all drew massive crowds in recent years. Courteeners are big in the Indie realm and so will draw a crowd, especially if they’re up against a rapper of some description. Tame Impala although unproven at R&L, drew a large crowd by the looks of it at Glasto. And Bring Me are Bring Me.

12 hours ago, Matt42 said:

On the right sort of lines though. Tame Impala and BMTH is a question mark for reasons discussed above - but I’d definitely see those sorts of acts being chased by the festival.

If Glastonbury isn’t in a place to go for Billie and R&L is willing to give Dave a headline slot (before Glastonbury) then I can see that being likely.

Then again... this is R&L. We need some kind of bullshittery in there. 

Just going to float it that on R&L’s time scales - Fall Out Boy, Panic, Biffy are all due a return now. 

However, I agree here, out of the 6 mentioned above, I don’t think I see them getting all 6, think what we were predicting this year, then we got 2 from last year and 3 that have headlined before. I obviously want to see both Tame Impala and Bring Me, so want to say I don’t think they wouldn’t book them. I’d love to say Courteeners out of those 6 wouldn’t play, replace them with a larger band, like the ones mentioned above.

I think we all want new fresh artists to headline that we’ve never had before, but in reality we’ll get the same ones for a good few years more with maybe one or two fresh acts.

That all being said, a prediction that’s half hope and half reality:

Billie Eilish/Tame Impala

Eminem/Royal Blood

the Killers/BMTH

Edited by Gerard the Fab

2 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Yh if we can predict bands like AM and Muse he’s just as realistic, he’d get a similar amount of time to normal anyways

It's more that the headliners girl this year are nowhere near the size of Eminem. Why would he essentially share a headline spot. Weren't talking about Catfish, Disclosure, Queens and Liam Gallgher. Then we talk about cats like Eminem that can sell Wembley out twice. Arctics can sell stadiums now but I don't see any of those this year doing so.

One of them is playing Singleton Park in Wales. They are arena acts yes but if they book stadium acts then there is no need for them to spend on two headliners. Eminem sells in a few months as his own tickets are a similar day price without another set of stages.