2022 Festival

43 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

In some cases it will be because they can get away with it, Billie Eilish for example. At the other end of the spectrum it'll be hard for acts to make a living as you say, but I'm sure Billie wouldn't fall on hard times if she dropped her prices by £20. Next year Slam Dunk will cost the average punter at least £150 for the day which I haven't been able to justify in 2019, 21 and now 22.

Yeah we're definitely straying into his territory here!

Probably but I wouldn't be so sure, she was literally a nobody with no money a couple of years ago to probably the biggest name on the planet so now has the same expenses as the biggest names on the planet and money does not come in real time.

Touching on that subject there's a decent documentary on BBC called Kate Nash: Underestimate the Girl, it follows about Kate Nash and you see how she was almost bankrupt even with all her big timing and work from the 00s as well as how mental the stress and pressure that kind of sudden media spotlight is.

Edited by jump

9 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

(No one here seems to think that Queens of the Stone Age will be there in 2022... Have they been officially ruled out ..?)

Not officially ruled out but the stuff coming out about the singer Josh Homme doesn't look promising and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't get booked based on the accusations 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

(No one here seems to think that Queens of the Stone Age will be there in 2022... Have they been officially ruled out ..?)

It looks like they're going to be Europe early summer next year. 

I don't think the ongoing legal issues will change their plans. The 'wife-beater Josh' TMZ headlines really haven't painted an accurate picture. Legal documents are available online (I won't share them) but it's not as cut and dry as you'd think if you've just read the odd headline here and there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Been thinking about this. With costs going way up and ticket prices staying virtually the same for a fair few years now pulling power will inevitably go down a bit.

But if they're getting in early and pulling acts like Billie Eilish and Post Malone into 5th place Main Stage spots a year or two before they headline then it's brilliant. Obviously more acts will flop than headline but by this time next year Billie will have played about 15 UK gigs ever so if we've caught one of them at R&L before she exploded then it's an 'i was there' moment, especially when she charges about £90 bar a ticket at her headline gigs

That's happened forever though and is basically just luck that they've signed them up long before theyve exploded. Eilish was originally billed in the tent and had already played Glastonbury that summer

1 hour ago, Benj said:

That's happened forever though and is basically just luck that they've signed them up long before theyve exploded. Eilish was originally billed in the tent and had already played Glastonbury that summer

Still can't believe they booked her in the tent when it was clear she was gonna be huge. They'll no doubt be taking a punt on some acts and a lot of them won't be destined to rise to the top. Possibly a bit controversial but in a few years the 2021 lineup could age well

7 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Still can't believe they booked her in the tent when it was clear she was gonna be huge. They'll no doubt be taking a punt on some acts and a lot of them won't be destined to rise to the top. Possibly a bit controversial but in a few years the 2021 lineup could age well

It's happened a few times before, The Darkness was bumped up when Jay Z pulled out with good timing as everyone was singing their songs at the time plus in between being announced and the day of the fest Arctic Monkeys and Kate Nash were on the smallest stage despite exploding into the mainstream. 

I remember a mate who works for a promoter telling me about Lewis Capaldi, they had booked him in a year in advances for some dates but then he got a lot bigger in that time and it became a regular argument between them in that year as he didn't want to do it anymore now that he was popular.

30 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

A lot of people are already pinning Sam Fender, AJ Tracey, Wolf Alice, Yungblud and The Kid Laroi as possible future headliners so you might be onto something there.

I swore off Reading after this year and was only gonna be open to volunteering in future due to the overall feel of the crowd at the fest but RATM and AM would be a guaranteed weekend ticket for me. Throw Dave in there too and the other 3 headliners could be imagine dragons, machine gun kelly and courteeners for all i care and i’d still be buying my ticket the second it was announced.

38 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

I'd love to see Sam Fender get a shot for headlining with 6 stages, maybe too soon though. He was brilliant this year

I seem to say this about everyone but will his sound stick around for a while/ will he adapt to stay relevant?

Either way he’ll need good tunes, singles so far off the new LP haven’t been great (love Howdon Aldi Death Queue mind)

Just now, Benj said:

I seem to say this about everyone but will his sound stick around for a while/ will he adapt to stay relevant?

Either way he’ll need good tunes, singles so far off the new LP haven’t been great (love Howdon Aldi Death Queue mind)

I disagree, i think the new singles have been quality and he only seems to be growing. Reckon the new album will do well and once he’s toured it next year he’ll be in the convo for 2023 onwards

2 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

I disagree, i think the new singles have been quality and he only seems to be growing. Reckon the new album will do well and once he’s toured it next year he’ll be in the convo for 2023 onwards

Fair enough. It’s obviously a very subjective thing.

I’m looking forward to hearing the LP and he’ll deffo be a contender if he stays on the same trajectory 

38 minutes ago, Benj said:

I think seventeen going under is one of his best

1 hour ago, NoBuses said:

I'd love to see Sam Fender get a shot for headlining with 6 stages, maybe too soon though. He was brilliant this year

Yeah same here - his new album is going to be great and he's sold out Leeds Arena

He's also a 'cheaper' option if they've got Arctics and Rage, who will draw a big crowd - his crowd in Leeds was huge, probably biggest of the weekend on that stage alongside Aitch and Becky Hill

Edited by Dukey

30 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah Dave seems like a no-brainer for the other closer.

I reckon Royal Blood, Halsey and Panic at the Disco to complete the set.

Seems realistic as a second set. If they do manage the others, it would be hard to argue against it being strong, even if you weren't a huge fan

Is there any reason people are speculating on Panic At The Disco? They have no new album or tour dates lined up as far as I’m aware of.

If we are talking headliners from out of nowhere I could see them trying to get Blink 182 now that Mark is cancer free and Travis is talking about flying again. There would be a fair bit of hype around their first gigs back.