2022 Festival

Quick prediction in the same format as this year just because I'm bored. Don't think anyone's too out of place here

MSE: Dave//J Hus//Charli XCX//Wallows//Young T & Bugsey

MSW: Royal Blood//IDLES//Circa Waves//The Amazons//Vistas

Dance: Nathan Dawe

Lock Up: Gallows

1Xtra: Don Toliver

Saturday:

MSE: Twenty One Pilots//Courteeners//Becky Hill//Fever 333//Denzel Curry

MSW: Machine Gun Kelly//D-Block Europe//Loyle Carner//Little Simz//cleopatrick

Dance: Patrick Topping

Pit: You Me At Six (SNS 10 Year Anniversary set)

1Xtra: Baby Keem

Sunday:

MSE: Rage Against The Machine//The Vaccines//Run The Jewels//Stefflon Don//Wretch 32

MSW: Doja Cat//Playboi Carti//Enter Shikari//Pale Waves//The Front Bottoms

Dance: Netsky

FR: Clairo

1Xtra: Pa Salieu

31 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

@endswithMJ does have a solid track record. Given Glastonbury headliners before anyone else before, and some other fests.

Yeah just seen he said Dua Lipa for Primavera way before it was announced. Also checked the main AM forum and someone on there who knew you about LG’s Knebworth gig early also said they got told AM doing Reading & Leeds. So fuck it, going to say that’s it’s happening. I shall hope for a Glasgow date at Bellahouston park (as r&l headliners often do) on the same week cause I cba going to Leeds. 

36 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

@endswithMJ does have a solid track record. Given Glastonbury headliners before anyone else before, and some other fests.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah just seen he said Dua Lipa for Primavera way before it was announced. Also checked the main AM forum and someone on there who knew you about LG’s Knebworth gig early also said they got told AM doing Reading & Leeds. So fuck it, going to say that’s it’s happening. I shall hope for a Glasgow date at Bellahouston park (as r&l headliners often do) on the same week cause I cba going to Leeds. 

Don't say stuff like this for the love of god. Can you imagine if Melvin bags AM and RATM in the same year

27 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Don't say stuff like this for the love of god. Can you imagine if Melvin bags AM and RATM in the same year

Seems likely. Rage are a lock.

Can’t see them ditching the two stage setup either, so Arctics, Rage and 4 other headliners… That’d be highly impressive given the chat about not getting established headliners anymore.

21 hours ago, dentalplan said:

The lineup has always been full of acts on an upward trajectory. It’s pretty much the MO given that it skews to a younger audience who are more drawn to current acts.

If you look back then lots of acts on those lineups were up-and-comers. Take mid-2000’s lineups jammed full of one-album indie bands for instance.

Been thinking about this. With costs going way up and ticket prices staying virtually the same for a fair few years now pulling power will inevitably go down a bit.

But if they're getting in early and pulling acts like Billie Eilish and Post Malone into 5th place Main Stage spots a year or two before they headline then it's brilliant. Obviously more acts will flop than headline but by this time next year Billie will have played about 15 UK gigs ever so if we've caught one of them at R&L before she exploded then it's an 'i was there' moment, especially when she charges about £90 bar a ticket at her headline gigs

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Can’t see them ditching the two stage setup either, so Arctics, Rage and 4 other headliners… That’d be highly impressive given the chat about not getting established headliners anymore.

I bet Matt42 would still nitpick at it.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Absolutely, it'd put to bed any concerns about R&L struggling to pull big name acts.

Fully expecting Kings of Leon, Post Malone and Daphne and Celeste now!

8 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Been thinking about this. With costs going way up and ticket prices staying virtually the same for a fair few years now pulling power will inevitably go down a bit.

But if they're getting in early and pulling acts like Billie Eilish and Post Malone into 5th place Main Stage spots a year or two before they headline then it's brilliant. Obviously more acts will flop than headline but by this time next year Billie will have played about 15 UK gigs ever so if we've caught one of them at R&L before she exploded then it's an 'i was there' moment, especially when she charges about £90 bar a ticket at her headline gigs

£90 for an arena gig?!?!?! You're kidding me on?

1 minute ago, metallimuse said:

£90 standing in London (£78 Manchester), £113 top price seat in London (£101 Manc). This is why I'm so grateful to have seen her at R&L and Big Weekend, especially when Big Weekend cost me £20 FV for the day!!

2 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

That's just for top end tickets as there are cheaper ones too and it's not that uncommon as Blondie,Alanis Morissette, Tool etc are priced similar. Aerosmith take the piss, cheapest tix is £100 for the nose bleed seats and standing was something like £300.

11 minutes ago, jump said:

That's just for top end tickets as there are cheaper ones too and it's not that uncommon as Blondie,Alanis Morissette, Tool etc are priced similar. Aerosmith take the piss, cheapest tix is £100 for the nose bleed seats and standing was something like £300.

Some gigs are simply outrageous. I've never paid more than the £82.50 you pay for most stadium bands. Also didn't realise that Slam Dunk will be £95 full price in 2022 for a one day event, Plus £40 for You Me At Six assuming most people will see them the day before. Insanity

8 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Some gigs are simply outrageous. I've never paid more than the £82.50 you pay for most stadium bands. Also didn't realise that Slam Dunk will be £95 full price in 2022 for a one day event, Plus £40 for You Me At Six assuming most people will see them the day before. Insanity

I blame the music fans myself. People have spent years listening to music for free so artists now have to make their money elsewhere either by flogging shirts like they are on a market stall or by touring more and with increased prices. Ticket prices will only rise until the likes of Youtube, Spotify etc start doing a decent royalty scheme or people start paying for music again.

Keep in mind most bands aren't rich today and even backintheday, Blur talked about how in the 90s they weren't millionaires even though they were having number one albums and headlining festivals.

Edited by jump

7 minutes ago, jump said:

I blame the music fans myself. People have spent years listening to music for free so artists now have to make their money elsewhere either by flogging shirts like they are on a market stall or by touring more and with increased prices. Ticket prices will only rise until the likes of Youtube, Spotify etc start doing a decent royalty scheme or people start paying for music again.

Keep in mind most bands aren't rich today and even backintheday, Blur talked about how in the 90s they weren't millionaires even though they were having number one albums and headlining festivals.

A vicious cycle isn't it. Until the punters stop paying, the artists/festivals will keep upping their prices. You can't blame them at all for increasing their prices if they know they'll sell tickets regardless, Billie could have charged what she wanted in the arenas considering she should be playing stadiums by now.

Slam Dunk is the one that really gets me. Y Not, Tramlines and other smaller four day festivals aren't much over £100, so for SD to charge £95 for the day without a big name headliner when most of the top acts clash anyway is laughable. About five years ago it was only £50

37 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

£90 standing in London (£78 Manchester), £113 top price seat in London (£101 Manc). This is why I'm so grateful to have seen her at R&L and Big Weekend, especially when Big Weekend cost me £20 FV for the day!!

35 minutes ago, jump said:

That is outrageous, for such a new artist as well.

I thought she was pure pish when I saw her live as well but each their own.

13 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

A vicious cycle isn't it. Until the punters stop paying, the artists/festivals will keep upping their prices. You can't blame them at all for increasing their prices if they know they'll sell tickets regardless, Billie could have charged what she wanted in the arenas considering she should be playing stadiums by now.

Slam Dunk is the one that really gets me. Y Not, Tramlines and other smaller four day festivals aren't much over £100, so for SD to charge £95 for the day without a big name headliner when most of the top acts clash anyway is laughable. About five years ago it was only £50

You make it sound like ticket prices are only going up as they can get away with it rather than it's become a necessity, most bands would just stop playing to become accountants and telemarketers if they can't. I've talked to a few bands over the years who play decent sized venues and it will surprise you the amount of acts that live on a fiver a day and need to stay at fans homes as they can't afford hotels plus bands who will play festivals tours like Warped and still lose money.

In any case this is a conversation for Gazza who normally gets hard with excitement to talk about it.

11 minutes ago, jump said:

You make it sound like ticket prices are only going up as they can get away with it rather than it's become a necessity, most bands would just stop playing to become accountants and telemarketers if they can't. I've talked to a few bands over the years who play decent sized venues and it will surprise you the amount of acts that live on a fiver a day and need to stay at fans homes as they can't afford hotels plus bands who will play festivals tours like Warped and still lose money.

In any case this is a conversation for Gazza who normally gets hard with excitement to talk about it.

In some cases it will be because they can get away with it, Billie Eilish for example. At the other end of the spectrum it'll be hard for acts to make a living as you say, but I'm sure Billie wouldn't fall on hard times if she dropped her prices by £20. Next year Slam Dunk will cost the average punter at least £150 for the day which I haven't been able to justify in 2019, 21 and now 22.

Yeah we're definitely straying into his territory here!