2022 Festival

15 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Surely they would mix it up a bit? So R&L do totally catered days to headliners? I don’t think they do as they want to encourage people to get weekend tickets.

Won’t be surprised if we get Rage, Courteeners, RTJ again.

They definitely do have days geared towards a particular genre. Foos 2019, Muse 2017, Metallica 2015 etc. That doesn’t mean acts outside of that genre can’t play different stages / a random slot on the main stage that day.

Edited by FeverDream

2 hours ago, FeverDream said:

They definitely do have days geared towards a particular genre. Foos 2019, Muse 2017, Metallica 2015 etc. That doesn’t mean acts outside of that genre can’t play different stages / a random slot on the main stage that day.

I always forget how good the Chilis day was in 2016. RHCP < Imagine Dragons (the exception) < Courteeners < EODM < Slaves < Parkway Drive (pulled out) < Skindred

7 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I always forget how good the Chilis day was in 2016. RHCP < Imagine Dragons (the exception) < Courteeners < EODM < Slaves < Parkway Drive (pulled out) < Skindred

Yeah, Clutch on the main stage too that day with Mastodon in the Pit. 
More on that single day for me than I watched in the whole weekend this year. Haha.

30 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Yeah, Clutch on the main stage too that day with Mastodon in the Pit. 
More on that single day for me than I watched in the whole weekend this year. Haha.

A proper day that was, scratch beyond the surface on that year's lineup and it's a weird one looking back. Doesn't look like it was really one for the school leavers

12 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Found the poll interesting re: best year. As of a minute ago the totals from 4,700 votes were:

2021: 19%

2019: 29%

2018: 20%

2017: 32%

Lineups virtually always look better as they age (2004 being a good example of one that did not!)

You’d also assume some recency bias though. 

it’s a strange poll to put out though. I’m hoping they’re using it to decide to bin off the second main stage and return to what they had before. 

3 minutes ago, Benj said:

Lineups virtually always look better as they age (2004 being a good example of one that did not!)

it’s a strange poll to put out though. I’m hoping they’re using it to decide to bin off the second main stage and return to what they had before. 

Yeah 2013 would have been my first one had the lineup appealed at the time, now though it's pretty much spot on for me. Looking at 2004, can you imagine if Morrissey played now hahaha.

Very strange poll, the style of lineups are so different in those years. 2017 was a complete mish mash of genres all weekend, 2018 took a step towards themed days, 2019 was very themed and 2021 was a mix again. I can only see them using it to decide that really

8 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Yeah 2013 would have been my first one had the lineup appealed at the time, now though it's pretty much spot on for me. Looking at 2004, can you imagine if Morrissey played now hahaha.

Very strange poll, the style of lineups are so different in those years. 2017 was a complete mish mash of genres all weekend, 2018 took a step towards themed days, 2019 was very themed and 2021 was a mix again. I can only see them using it to decide that really

It’s not gonna help them much with 2017 AND 2019 streaming ahead

I think it’s very telling that despite the 6 headliners and two stage thing that should on paper make it look better, that 2021 is diving badly

10 minutes ago, Benj said:

It’s not gonna help them much with 2017 AND 2019 streaming ahead

I think it’s very telling that despite the 6 headliners and two stage thing that should on paper make it look better, that 2021 is diving badly

2021 looked like a decent idea on paper with more bigger name acts but at Leeds if me and my mates didn't like one main stage act it was too much hassle getting to the other stages so we just put up with it. I'd rather they just did LG/Biffy, Stormzy/Catfish and Post/Disclosure as co-headliners on one main stage with the usual 10 act set up and shoved the excess in the R1 stage. Imagine what it would have been like with two main stages if it had rained

1 hour ago, Benj said:

Looking at 2004, its pretty flipping good: undercard of Thrice, Modest Mouse, Placebo, Thursday, Hives, Offspring, A7x, Bloc Party, FFAF, Coheed, Dillinger, AOF, Taking Back Sunday, Real Big Fish. And the headliners are all very solid - well preferred to today. 

48 minutes ago, sacred shape said:

Looking at 2004, its pretty flipping good: undercard of Thrice, Modest Mouse, Placebo, Thursday, Hives, Offspring, A7x, Bloc Party, FFAF, Coheed, Dillinger, AOF, Taking Back Sunday, Real Big Fish. And the headliners are all very solid - well preferred to today. 

God damn Modest Mouse infuriate me. I've seen them a few times and there's flashes of them being great and I want to enjoy them but they are just lacking life when they are playing. The first time I saw them was at The Royal Albert Hall so I put it down to them being in this weird venue which reminds me of being in your Gran's living room but it was the same the second time I saw them. The last time I saw them a guy came upto me to ask if I had seen them before and if I did were they always this bad, I said yeah and he told me he was a massive fan who has been dreaming about seeing them for years and he's really disappointed.

Edited by jump

58 minutes ago, sacred shape said:

Yeah 2004 was a great lineup. Not nany years between 2003 to 2010 when I could not have plenty to see. But that said, I wasn't into the scene even in 2005 and barely knew what Reading was. 

31 minutes ago, jump said:

The last time I saw them a guy came upto me to ask if I had seen them before and if I did were they always this bad, I said yeah and he told me he was a massive fan who has been dreaming about seeing them for years and he's really disappointed.

That guy is (hopefully not) gonna be me - was too young to go to their 2015 tour on my own so have been waiting 10 years to finally see them. Hoping they tour the (excellent) new album next year and that I'm not left disappointed

8 minutes ago, sacred shape said:

That guy is (hopefully not) gonna be me - was too young to go to their 2015 tour on my own so have been waiting 10 years to finally see them. Hoping they tour the (excellent) new album next year and that I'm not left disappointed

You should go in expecting them to be complete shit so when they you seem them be just okay you can come out saying they were way better than you thought they were gonna be.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Tbf if Parkway hadn’t have pulled out it would’ve been exceptional. Would have loved to see EODM but didn’t go in 2016 😞

10 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

For me anyway, the run from 2015 to 2017 was the weakest 3 years barring this year in the last 10.

4 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Yeah 2004 was a great lineup. Not nany years between 2003 to 2010 when I could not have plenty to see. But that said, I wasn't into the scene even in 2005 and barely knew what Reading was. 

It was a shite weekend. Lashed it down consistently music was terrible, I think Razorlight was the best band I saw, which says a lot

Modest Mouse were shite. And I really like Modest Mouse

Edited by Benj

Here’s a lineup that aged brilliantly: 2013.

Future headliners on that lineup: Foals, The 1975, Catfish And The Bottlemen, Disclosure, Fall Out Boy, Twenty One Pilots

Additionally: SOAD, BMTH, Tame Impala, Imagine Dragons (ugh) and Alt-J could all feasibly headline now (the last two are slightly contentious, I will admit)

3 hours ago, wro_lap said:

Here’s a lineup that aged brilliantly: 2013.

Future headliners on that lineup: Foals, The 1975, Catfish And The Bottlemen, Disclosure, Fall Out Boy, Twenty One Pilots

Additionally: SOAD, BMTH, Tame Impala, Imagine Dragons (ugh) and Alt-J could all feasibly headline now (the last two are slightly contentious, I will admit)

My highlight of that weekend was probably BSP up against Eminem. They had technical issues which delayed and cut right into their set but it was still great. Biffy were v good too.  NIN were good but played to a half full field.

1975 packed out the FR tent on the strength of chocolate alone, to the point we turned away to see someone else (unless that was the year after).

SOAD were awaful, completely dialed it in, almost sneering at the crowd. Massive dissapoitnment

Limited memories otherwise!

Edited by Benj