2022 Festival

46 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

My understanding is that Download book their headliners absurdly early and often ignore what trends other European festivals are doing. It doesn’t feel like they wait and see and then decide who is the best person to book.

It’s the only way I can rationalise them ignoring bands like BMTH. They probably don’t have enough faith that BMTH will sell tickets in 2023 or 2024. Much easier to try book someone like Rammstein/Iron Maiden who have a solidified fan base.

DL attendees being ultra conservative and not minding repeats probably plays a big factor too. Why experiment when your attendees just want to see the same bands again and again. 

You’d argue BMTH are the single most important rock band in the UK right now so if they’re not booked at a major UK festival in 2022 or 2023 it’ll be a travesty.

Does DL do lineup surveys like R&L does? Someone somewhere must be putting Kiss/Iron Maiden year in, year out.

Edited by andyrhodes24

If BMTH headline i'm sure the people who are there will enjoy it and have a good time, but I don't think they have wide enough appeal - the dance tent and campsites will be packed no doubt. Its not like say Biffy this year where they have a much older, cemented fan base - same with Rage and other similar acts booked in recent years. Just can't see it yet when R&L have such a big pool of options.

5 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

I don't like BMTH in the slightest, but my god, if they can bump up Catfish and the Bottlemen to headline, they can definitely do the same for BMTH.

Is this really a fair comparison? I feel like Catfish are quite a strong choice for R&L’s attendees.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Is this really a fair comparison? I feel like Catfish are quite a strong choice for R&L’s attendees.

Oh, I agree, especially given every year they weren't playing there'd be someone quote tweeting the announcement saying "NO CATFISH? Where's the real lineup?". But given they'd have spent last year headlining Truck and Tramlines if not for R/L booking them, their billing surely can't be *that* much bigger than Bring Me's.

I toyed with saying "Disclosure" instead, mind you.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They have a North/London split though. Londoners are too savvy to be fooled by that rubbish.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, jump said:

Download is just ridiculously out of touch and it's not even a new thing. In a year when I saw both a hotly talked about reformed Sex Pistols and Rage Against The Machine plus Reading had Metallica and Slipknot Download booked a trio of KISS, Lost Prophets and The Offspring to headline. It's mental Download thought Lost Prophets were headline material ahead of Slipknot!

To be fair, Download didn’t book Lost Prophets and the Offspring to headline. They were subs who got bumped up when the headliners pulled out.(can’t remember who the two headliners were but I think Foo Fighters were one)

I agree with your point in general though.

11 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

To be fair, Download didn’t book Lost Prophets and the Offspring to headline. They were subs who got bumped up when the headliners pulled out.(can’t remember who the two headliners were but I think Foo Fighters were one)

Foo Fighters, RATM & Rammstein. 

Catfish are garbage. What makes them a more worthy headliner than other indie bands that have been going on so much longer and are better? (Wombats, TDCC, Courteeners, Kasabian, Fratellis, Razorlight, Vaccines, Kooks, the list goes on and on...)

6 minutes ago, Darberry said:

Catfish are garbage. What makes them a more worthy headliner than other indie bands that have been going on so much longer and are better? (Wombats, TDCC, Courteeners, Kasabian, Fratellis, Razorlight, Vaccines, Kooks, the list goes on and on...)

Razorlight were dogshit but they somehow headlined sometime in the 2000’s. Courteeners should have done it by now and I’m convinced they will in 2022 in their year off from doing a big outdoor gig. Catfish get the R1 radio plays but I’m not sure the others are as relevant there these days

37 minutes ago, Darberry said:

Bucket hat kids like em. It’s nothing to do with quality it’s about numbers. 

38 minutes ago, Darberry said:

Kasabian have already done it obviously, but with Catfish they have a lot more consistency even if all their songs sound the same and have done pretty much every medium festival in the country before doing Reading. Have also done big slots outside of the UK which most of those other bands don't really do.

1 hour ago, jump said:

They have a North/London split though. Londoners are too savvy to be fooled by that rubbish.

Catfish have headlined 3 london festivals in 3 years (2017-2019)

50 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Wasn't it Pearl Jam or was that a different year?

They were 2013 and pulled out the day before the announcement, which is why Slipknot returned that year. 

PH have also been booked once before too; 2011, I believe. 

Edited by Andre91

2 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Yes only KISS were original. Tbh that would have been a great year for me. At the time I was a huge fan if Lostprophets and The Offspring snd much of the undercard then. Damn the lineups for Download excited much more. They weren't big enough to headline maybe but Prophets were at their peak and were doing arenas.

1 hour ago, jump said:

Yep and they were giving away those Citadel and All Points East tixs.

Tickets were being given away for Black sabbath in London.. with a very stacked undercard.. 

London festivals are hard to sell out, especially when they’re new brands like Citadel or All points east. Let’s not use that as a reason to shit on a band.

also, I went to Catfish Citadel and don’t remember tickets even being given out for that one.

Edited by Rotinajer

10 minutes ago, Rotinajer said:

Tickets were being given away for Black sabbath in London.. with a very stacked undercard.. 

London festivals are hard to sell out, especially when they’re new brands like Citadel or All points east. Let’s not use that as a reason to shit on a band.

also, I went to Catfish Citadel and don’t remember tickets even being given out for that one.

Not only were there freebie tixs for Citadel but they also lowered the official tix price by £15.