2022 Festival

1 hour ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Absolutely, he didn't say much compared to usual but he didn't need to, the music did the talking. I'm usually critical of bands that don't interact with the crowd but he was as good a front man as ever. Don't know if you were at/have seen the Big Weekend 2019 set on YouTube but the difference between Oli between then and now is mad.

It'd go down so well and address concerns some people have about R&L going way too mainstream way too fast. RATM and BMTH as headliners on one day probably won't happen but if you threw in support like MGK, Yungblud, Idles and then a smattering of chart stuff day tickets would fly out

Exactly! If R&L and other similar festivals don’t do this then I can see your Foos, RATM, Muse etc just do their own thing like Slipknot do with Knotfest or the Green Day/FOB/Weezer tour over playing existing festivals.

2 hours ago, Benj said:

I’m guessing the 1,000 trees lineup is ruling out Idles, PUP and others for reasons of exclusivity and Touring schedule…

If I respond will you stop asking? 😜

In 2019 all of their headliners Frankie T, YM@6 and Deaf Havana headlined and still played other fests including YM@6 who were at R&L. I'm not sure if any of them are "exclusives" but IDLES are playing other fests already plus when they were booked at R&L last year they were gonna play other fests too.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Benj said:

Assume the 1,000 Trees lineup excludes the likes of Idles and PUP for exclusivity and logistics reasons

2000 Trees don't usually get exclusives, and Idles seem willing to play anywhere with a stage and electricity - so them being at 2000 Trees in itself won't rule them out of R&L, but their play-anywhere approach makes them less valuable to R&L (they could fit as a special guest I guess).

PUP's inclusion at 2000 Trees rules them out of R&L, they won't stay in the UK/EU for that long.

1 hour ago, jump said:

If I respond will you stop asking? 😜

In 2019 all of their headliners Frankie T, YM@6 and Deaf Havana headlined and still played other fests including YM@6 who were at R&L. I'm not sure if any of them are "exclusives" but IDLES are playing other fests already plus when they were booked at R&L last year they were gonna play other fests too.

hahaha, I thought I'd posted it earlier but couldn't see it when I looked again!

I’ve seen Tom Morello has been speaking highly of Bring Me, he even called them the standard bearer of today’s rock and metal. It makes me wonder if R&L do get get Rage if they’d ask for Bring Me to headline one of the 5 other spots.

16 hours ago, jump said:

I’ve seen Tom Morello has been speaking highly of Bring Me, he even called them the standard bearer of today’s rock and metal. It makes me wonder if R&L do get get Rage if they’d ask for Bring Me to headline one of the 5 other spots.

The NME review of Bring Me's London gig the other night hinted that they're ready to headline major festivals. After the false dawns in recent years' lineups I refuse to get my hopes up

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Download and R&L still ain’t calling. I think they don’t see them as headliners.

Download is just ridiculously out of touch and it's not even a new thing. In a year when I saw both a hotly talked about reformed Sex Pistols and Rage Against The Machine plus Reading had Metallica and Slipknot Download booked a trio of KISS, Lost Prophets and The Offspring to headline. It's mental Download thought Lost Prophets were headline material ahead of Slipknot!

Edited by jump
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Download and R&L still ain’t calling. I think they don’t see them as headliners.

I can understand it with R&L but there's no reason why Download shouldn't be booking them in this day and age, there's no other band quite like them and it should make them a decent draw

4 minutes ago, jump said:

Download is just ridiculously out of touch and it's not even a new thing. In a year when I saw both a hotly talked about reformed Sex Pistols and Rage Against The Machine plus Reading had Metallica and Slipknot Download booked a trio of KISS, Lost Prophets and The Offspring to headline. It's mental Download thought Lost Prophets were headline material ahead of Slipknot!

I get that DL has kind of had its hands tied with regard to its 2022 headliners but if they don't break the mould in 2023 they'll only divide their audience further. Half of DL's headliner pool is on the verge of retiring right? They'll have to be open to new headliners sooner or later

25 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I get that DL has kind of had its hands tied with regard to its 2022 headliners but if they don't break the mould in 2023 they'll only divide their audience further. Half of DL's headliner pool is on the verge of retiring right? They'll have to be open to new headliners sooner or later

They will start begrudgingly promoting bands to headline status like they did with Biffy in the years when they no choice rather than when they were white hot, but it's not even that the likes of KISS, Ozzy or Aerosmith will retire (again) as Slipknot and Rammstein are now doing stadium shows in the UK so that's one less possible appearance from them. However my thing is that it's like Download are out of the loop and not booking bands when they are being talked about and hot as fuck. 

18 minutes ago, jump said:

They will start begrudgingly promoting bands to headline status like they did with Biffy in the years when they no choice rather than when they were white hot, but it's not even that the likes of KISS, Ozzy or Aerosmith will retire (again) as Slipknot and Rammstein are now doing stadium shows in the UK so that's one less possible appearance from them. However my thing is that it's like Download are out of the loop and not booking bands when they are being talked about and hot as fuck. 

They never strike whilst the iron is hot; something R&L has been really good at over the years. Yes, R&L’s pool is bigger but Download could promote a new headliner every couple of years, if not every year, if they really wanted to. 

30 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

They never strike whilst the iron is hot; something R&L has been really good at over the years. Yes, R&L’s pool is bigger but Download could promote a new headliner every couple of years, if not every year, if they really wanted to. 

I was talking in a general sense too as Download haven't even got acts like Ghost, Slaves, Nothing But Thieves, IDLES, Architects etc in the last few years despite being some of the faces of the current rock scene and have been playing other festivals.

But yeah, seeing a white hot band transcend to headline status gives the occasion a bunch of the "feels" which is just as big as seeing another headline set. I remember seeing Biffy do it and they were arguably the best headliner during a weekend that had Slipknot and Metallica play.

13 minutes ago, jump said:

I was talking in a general sense too as Download haven't even got acts like Ghost, Slaves, Nothing But Thieves, IDLES, Architects etc in the last few years despite being some of the faces of the current rock scene and have been playing other festivals.

But yeah, seeing a white hot band transcend to headline status gives the occasion a bunch of the "feels" which is just as big as seeing another headline set. I remember seeing Biffy do it and they were arguably the best headliner during a weekend that had Slipknot and Metallica play.

Find it really strange Download haven't booked Architects since 2013

25 minutes ago, Dukey said:

Find it really strange Download haven't booked Architects since 2013

Tbf they were booked for 2016 but pulled out because of Tom.

But yeah, it is insane that BMTH, Architects and WSS all haven’t played Download since 2014 at the latest. Absolutely mental. I’m sure if they were offered the slots they are appropriate for, they would play: 

BMTH - Main Stage headliner 

Architects - Main Stage sub 

WSS - Second Stage headliner or third down Main Stage 

Those are the slots those bands are big enough to play and would pull massive crowds. But nah, let’s get Shinedown third down Main again, let’s get Alter Bridge to sub for the 4th time or whatever.

It’s a festival I love but one that infuriates me every year. It is as stale as Monsters of Rock was in the mid 90s. I should just not buy a ticket but it’s Download and all my mates go so it’s always a fun time. 

29 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Tbf they were booked for 2016 but pulled out because of Tom.

But yeah, it is insane that BMTH, Architects and WSS all haven’t played Download since 2014 at the latest. Absolutely mental. I’m sure if they were offered the slots they are appropriate for, they would play: 

BMTH - Main Stage headliner 

Architects - Main Stage sub 

WSS - Second Stage headliner or third down Main Stage 

Those are the slots those bands are big enough to play and would pull massive crowds. But nah, let’s get Shinedown third down Main again, let’s get Alter Bridge to sub for the 4th time or whatever.

It’s a festival I love but one that infuriates me every year. It is as stale as Monsters of Rock was in the mid 90s. I should just not buy a ticket but it’s Download and all my mates go so it’s always a fun time. 

Sleeps did do the Download Pilot so they’re not completely off the festivals radar. I can see them getting a 3rd down or possibly even sub slot in 2023.

I’m still of the opinion that if That’s The Spirit and amo couldn’t do it at Download for BMTH, I don’t think anything will.

Post Human: Survival Horror was great  btw. 

Edited by TKOCF

3 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

Sleeps did do the Download Pilot so they’re not completely off the festivals radar. I can see them getting a 3rd down or possibly even sub slot in 2023.

I’m still of the opinion that if That’s The Spirit and amo couldn’t do it at Download for BMTH, I don’t think anything will.

Sleeps are a bit off of subbing yet, I think. 

TTS was the perfect time for BMTH, amo wasn’t suited to Download but shouldn’t have stopped them. Post Human is far more DL and they should be getting them signed up ASAP for 2023. 

My understanding is that Download book their headliners absurdly early and often ignore what trends other European festivals are doing. It doesn’t feel like they wait and see and then decide who is the best person to book.

It’s the only way I can rationalise them ignoring bands like BMTH. They probably don’t have enough faith that BMTH will sell tickets in 2023 or 2024. Much easier to try book someone like Rammstein/Iron Maiden who have a solidified fan base.

DL attendees being ultra conservative and not minding repeats probably plays a big factor too. Why experiment when your attendees just want to see the same bands again and again. 

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

All of The Pilot acts weren't paid so you'd think it would be nice if they rewarded those acts with decent spots in the future.

1 hour ago, jump said:

There’s definitely a different, probably better, feel about seeing a band rise up through the ranks and headline for the first time. I got that vibe in 2019 when The 1975 did R&L.

8 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Sleeps are a bit off of subbing yet, I think. 

TTS was the perfect time for BMTH, amo wasn’t suited to Download but shouldn’t have stopped them. Post Human is far more DL and they should be getting them signed up ASAP for 2023. 

When That’s The Spirit and again when Amo came out I was thinking it was now or never for BMTH mainly due to the changing scene of R&L but I think they’ve made up a bit of ground with Survival Horror. Not quite in the festival’s remit but closer than it was previously I’d argue. Definitely right for Download though, they’ve stepped it up a gear

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

My understanding is that Download book their headliners absurdly early and often ignore what trends other European festivals are doing. It doesn’t feel like they wait and see and then decide who is the best person to book.

It’s the only way I can rationalise them ignoring bands like BMTH. They probably don’t have enough faith that BMTH will sell tickets in 2023 or 2024. Much easier to try book someone like Rammstein/Iron Maiden who have a solidified fan base.

DL attendees being ultra conservative and not minding repeats probably plays a big factor too. Why experiment when your attendees just want to see the same bands again and again. 

Nah, Copping is just a twat.