2022 Festival

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Well that’s a big disingenuous - not what I said at all. My point was that they’ve been playing the festival for 20 years and probably have a fondness for the place. It’s a completely different situation to them booking Travis Scott in 2018 and trying to get him back.

Doesn’t really matter though, Foos are bonafide big and trying to make them unbig just to fit a narrative is silly.

3 hours ago, jump said:

Doesn’t really matter though, Foos are bonafide big and trying to make them unbig just to fit a narrative is silly.

They might not be as relevant to the yoof as they used to be but they’re still gigantic on a global scale. Consistently selling out stadiums here every other year in less than an hour, that 2019 day tailored around them was sensational and it shows a rock day can still be done.

It’ll be interesting to see the size of the headline acts they can get next year when they won’t be held back by travel restrictions.

14 hours ago, jump said:

Well it’s nothing to do the types of act I’m talking about so it’s a weird example. I’m talking about R&L’s ability to get acts like Travis Scott, Drake, The Weeknd etc.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Well it’s nothing to do the types of act I’m talking about so it’s a weird example. I’m talking about R&L’s ability to get acts like Travis Scott, Drake, The Weeknd etc.

Sorry I didn’t see your reply as I got too distracted by the goal posts being moved.

On 9/11/2021 at 7:07 PM, gfa said:

Catfish have headlined every medium festival in the country and consistently sell out big tours. Sure they weren't on form this year and many people don't like them, but they were definitely suitable as a MSW headliner.

Thinking about it now that can probably be used as a guide... a mid size headliner may well usually be the MSW headliners - Courteeners, The Streets, Stereophonics etc.

On another note, Catfish headlined TRNSMT in 2019 and i'd say thats slightly above mid size, so for some reason that im unaware of they could be seen as a headline act now

1 hour ago, __Phoenix said:

Thinking about it now that can probably be used as a guide... a mid size headliner may well usually be the MSW headliners - Courteeners, The Streets, Stereophonics etc.

On another note, Catfish headlined TRNSMT in 2019 and i'd say thats slightly above mid size, so for some reason that im unaware of they could be seen as a headline act now

For me Catfish were just the right size for an MSW headline slot, sold out arena tours, headlined mid-sized festivals, TRNSMT and their own outdoor gigs so they were just right, despite a lot of people disliking them, but you get that with any act.

The MSW is great in that it opens up the possibility of headlining to so many acts that wouldn’t accept a sub spot but aren’t big enough to headline (or co-headline) eg. Catfish, Disclosure, Courteeners, BMTH,  Royal Blood, think someone mentions Chems, basically any act that’s been knocking on the door in the last few years. It’s a brilliant way to keep it fresh.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

For me Catfish were just the right size for an MSW headline slot, sold out arena tours, headlined mid-sized festivals, TRNSMT and their own outdoor gigs so they were just right, despite a lot of people disliking them, but you get that with any act.

The MSW is great in that it opens up the possibility of headlining to so many acts that wouldn’t accept a sub spot but aren’t big enough to headline (or co-headline) eg. Catfish, Disclosure, Courteeners, BMTH,  Royal Blood, think someone mentions Chems, basically any act that’s been knocking on the door in the last few years. It’s a brilliant way to keep it fresh.

A perfect R&L slot for these guys

tool.jpeg

14 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Beat me to it lol.

I'd guess we can rule out Foals or Wolf Alice making the jump to headliner.

Foals already made said jump in 2016.

Don’t see how this really affects RandL anyway. Shared plenty of acts this year including Liam

39 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Beat me to it lol.

I'd guess we can rule out Foals or Wolf Alice making the jump to headliner.

I think with 6 headliners Foals could still play one of the Catfish/Disclosure/Biffy slots. Wolf Alice aren’t ready for headlining big festivals yet. Think they’ll stay around the same size tbh. 

3 hours ago, rfc_478 said:

Foals already made said jump in 2016.

Don’t see how this really affects RandL anyway. Shared plenty of acts this year including Liam

Indeed, suggests they will all be touring and eligible. Strokes would be a good MSW option these days

12 minutes ago, Benj said:

Indeed, suggests they will all be touring and eligible. Strokes would be a good MSW option these days

Agreed both would fit quite nicely under anyone really.

11 minutes ago, Benj said:

Don’t see why not these days, what’s the difference between him and Capaldi?

Nutini hasn’t released an album in 7 years. Not sure many at R&L would know any of his songs, Capaldi is currently a fairly massive mainstream act. Think Nutini only headlines TRNSMT coz it’s his home gig

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Benj said:

Probably too late in Summer for Strokes, will be back in America

37 minutes ago, gfa said:

It's not uncommon for American artists to do both TITP/TRNSMT and R&L. The Strokes did that in 2011. I was also thinking they'd be a great choice for MSW, too big to merely sub but maybe not big enough to outright headline these days.

2 hours ago, gfa said:

D’oh thought it was In September but that’s when the tickets go on sale!

Yeah, unlikely to still be about if playing festivals early July

2 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Agreed both would fit quite nicely under anyone really.

Nutini hasn’t released an album in 7 years. Not sure many at R&L would know any of his songs, Capaldi is currently a fairly massive mainstream act. Think Nutini only headlines TRNSMT coz it’s his home gig

Assume he’ll have a record out but you’re probably right in that he’s too big for the kind of slot you’d expect him to get at Reading