2022 Festival

4 hours ago, Benj said:

You’re probably right. Not at reading, which is the sad place we’re in now, where the headline pool is so small. 

Lorde should so easily headline reading but these days they’ll choose Mabel or Paramore instead. 

both easier choices but so much less worthy for completely different reasons

The headliner pool for Reading & Leeds is not small 😂 

Why should Lorde easily headline a festival that has never  really been a good fit for her? Mabel isn’t anywhere near headliner size and Paramore are unquestionably one of the biggest bands of the last decade (and just over). Arena tours galore in that time. 

Lorde would be better off elsewhere.

Edited by Andre91

Dave is a "big act", but he isn't an R&L headline big act. At most he is sub. Are we going back to just 1 stage this year? If so...

An anthem band: Kasabian, Fallout Boy, Paramore, 21 Pilots

Someone hip hop name: Travis Scott, Drake, Kanye, Eminem

A big stadium rock band: Killers, Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys

I'm going with:

21 Pilots & Paramore / Dave / Bastille

Travis Scott / Dua Lipa / Sam Fender

RATM / Blossoms / Frank Carter

Edited by Chad888
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Dave is a "big act", but he isn't an R&L headline big act. At most he is sub.

You’ve strayed into full on Download Festival territory here. What else does he have to do to prove he’s a headline act? Shift a few Wembley stadium dates? Have at least 5 #1 albums under his belts? Tour for another 15 years? 

The suggestion that Dave is anything less than a headline act is absolutely mental. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

The headliner pool for Reading & Leeds is not small 😂 

Why should Lorde easily headline a festival that has never  really been a good fit for her? Mabel isn’t anywhere near headliner size and Paramore are unquestionably one of the biggest bands of the last decade (and just over). Arena tours galore in that time. 

Lorde would be better off elsewhere.

It’s probably bigger now than it’s ever been to be fair, due to them opening up to the pop market and rap opening up a new genre for consideration. 

It’s tiny though really, espy when the likes or Lorde are excluded

20 minutes ago, Benj said:

It’s probably bigger now than it’s ever been to be fair, due to them opening up to the pop market and rap opening up a new genre for consideration. 

It’s tiny though really, espy when the likes or Lorde are excluded

How have you contradicted yourself so much in one post? 

The headliner pool is MASSIVE for R&L. That’s like me saying the headliner pool is tiny because Ghost won’t be booked to headline. They’re not a suitable act for the R&L audience, just as Lorde isn’t. 

Edited by Andre91

Absolutely laughable to say the R&L headliner pool is tiny. Download have like twelve, and only seven or so who aren't at risk of being finished tomorrow. R&L could probably avoid repeating headliners for 5+ years if they wanted to.

As has been pointed out, ridiculous thinking Dave couldn't headline after they've just booked Catfish.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

How have you contradicted yourself so much in one post? 

The headliner pool is MASSIVE for R&L. That’s like me saying the headliner pool is tiny because Ghost won’t be booked to headline. They’re not a suitable act for the R&L audience, just as Lorde isn’t. 

I don’t contradict myself once!

I said it’s probably bigger now than it has been due to a few pop and rap stars being considerable.

Ultimately it’s the same names being banded about only with Dave, Stormzy, Dua Lipa and Post Malone added

Im talking MSE headliners too, not the second on the bill ones

(it’s obv miles bigger than Download!)

5 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Dave is a "big act", but he isn't an R&L headline big act. At most he is sub. Are we going back to just 1 stage this year? If so...

An anthem band: Kasabian, Fallout Boy, Paramore, 21 Pilots

Someone hip hop name: Travis Scott, Drake, Kanye, Eminem

A big stadium rock band: Killers, Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys

I'm going with:

21 Pilots & Paramore / Dave / Bastille

Travis Scott / Dua Lipa / Sam Fender

RATM / Blossoms / Frank Carter

I don’t downvote much on here, but this is a pretty miss-informed prediction in my opinion.

On 9/10/2021 at 2:15 AM, stanh said:

dave is a headliner, i dont know how many times it needs to be said! werent people saying wolf alice and haim are big enough at some point? if they are, surely dave is? not to mention he is much more relevant with the r&l crowd, and also with the backing of the amount of tickets hes shifted for the tour alone already, just today?! he is headlining. 

Remember there is still a fair few people here who are in denial about R&L’s demographic shift. They still want to live in a world where bands are the most popular bookings on the lineup. They can’t wrap their head around that acts like Dave / AJ Tracey / Aitch / Stormzy / Migos etc probably sell more tickets than any other booking. It’s a sense of detachment from the newer clientele. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Dave is a "big act", but he isn't an R&L headline big act. At most he is sub. 

Hey man. 2005 was a very long time ago. I’m sorry to patronising but have you looked at the past 5 years of reading lineups?

6 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Whilst I agree that the headliner pool isn’t small, I would say that their pulling power and ability to rope in gigantic names is definitely dwindling. I will say it until I’m blue in the face but I seriously doubt their ability to pull in acts like Travis, Drake, The Weeknd etc as R&L isn’t big enough of a gig anymore for these artists to forfeit just doing their own tours.

I think it’s more likely now that they will capture future stars on the way up rather then get them back in for a victory lap. I seriously doubt they will ever rope acts like Billie back in as she will probably be looking at stadiums after Glastonbury. 

I strongly believe that the past few years has been enough evidence to show that R&L struggles to get the genuinely gigantic names now.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Whilst I agree that the headliner pool isn’t small, I would say that their pulling power and ability to rope in gigantic names is definitely dwindling. I will say it until I’m blue in the face but I seriously doubt their ability to pull in acts like Travis, Drake, The Weeknd etc as R&L isn’t big enough of a gig anymore for these artists to forfeit just doing their own tours.

I think it’s more likely now that they will capture future stars on the way up then get them back in for a victory lap. I seriously doubt they will ever rope acts like Billie back in as she will probably be looking at stadiums after Glastonbury. 

I strongly believe that the past few years has been enough evidence to show that R&L struggles to get the genuinely gigantic names now.

Aren't Post Malone, Stormzy and Foo Fighters gigantic?

3 minutes ago, Darberry said:

Aren't Post Malone, Stormzy and Foo Fighters gigantic?

Post Malone is a big artist but he isn’t a huge touring artist like some of his contemporaries. Did he even sell out that BST date he announced?

Travis, The Weeknd and Drake could announce 4 nights at the O2 and they would be instant sell out.

Stormzy is big but not in the global sense compared to the others. 

Foo Fighters are more of a circuit band and even they are playing R&L much less than they used to.

Not great examples.

Edited by Matt42

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think it’s more likely now that they will capture future stars on the way up rather then get them back in for a victory lap. I seriously doubt they will ever rope acts like Billie back in as she will probably be looking at stadiums after Glastonbury. 

Drake flew all the way from america to do 1 song at Reading, he is defo more of a wireless booking but he loves the UK and I can see him headlining soon

1 minute ago, NoBuses said:

Drake flew all the way from america to do 1 song at Reading, he is defo more of a wireless booking but he loves the UK and I can see him headlining soon

Surely the fact he hasn’t headlined yet is something that should be read into? When he headlines festivals here it’s usually wireless. I wonder if there is a strong relationship there, or if he intends to be on the circuit they get in there early and secure him.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Surely the fact he hasn’t headlined yet is something that should be read into? When he headlines festivals here it’s usually wireless. I wonder if there is a strong relationship there, or if he intends to be on the circuit they get in there early and secure him.

He just loves Wireless, he did a special appearance yesterday too. He's just obsessed with UK culture it's quite funny actually

People have been saying R&L can't ge big bookings on here for decades yet every year they still do. It's less of an argument about if R&L can get big bookings or not and more about Matt trying to make out Foo Fighters are unknown pub band who will play for petrol money and drink tokens.

1 hour ago, Darberry said:

Lorde has never played R&L before and she's not really relevant in the UK. I can name 1/2 songs.

It's become too easy to headline now, you have to earn it. Fucking Catfish didn't

Catfish have headlined every medium festival in the country and consistently sell out big tours. Sure they weren't on form this year and many people don't like them, but they were definitely suitable as a MSW headliner.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, jump said:

People have been saying R&L can't ge big bookings on here for decades yet every year they still do. It's less of an argument about if R&L can get big bookings or not and more about Matt trying to make out Foo Fighters are unknown pub band who will play for petrol money and drink tokens.

Well that’s a big disingenuous - not what I said at all. My point was that they’ve been playing the festival for 20 years and probably have a fondness for the place. It’s a completely different situation to them booking Travis Scott in 2018 and trying to get him back.