2022 Festival

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Do you really think after the past few years they are going to have a top set like that? I swear to god this is why every year it’s so much fun to watch meltdowns in this thread. You guys walk head first into it every time.

You guys will have a year where the biggest artists on the lineup are people like Post, Kid Laori, Becky Hill, Liam Gallagher etc and go into the next year expecting Metallica, Rage, Arctic Monkeys and The Killers. Temper your expectations a bit. Reading can’t afford a top set of artists like that anymore.

It was that half hour after Dan Wilcox broke the news that it'd be LG, Post, Stormzy, Catfish, Disclosure and QOTSA, never seen a meltdown like it. He does tend to pre-warn people by saying "prepare to be disappointed" but no one heeds the warning.

Speaking of affordability, I didn't realise Dua Lipa was charging £70 a go for her upcoming arena tour

32 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I'll go back to my original question since it's been avoided so far - does he have 21 moderately well known song to keep people entertained for the duration because I genuinely don't know. I'm not having a dig at his headline credentials there, I'm just interested to know.

Yes

50 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

He might well be the biggest artist in the country right now, but as I said, personally I don't know anything about him or his songs and I won't be the only one which is ultimately making me ask the question. Yeah we'll be the minority but there'll still be people that, like me, will feel underwhelmed if MSE is headlined by someone you can't name one song by. If he's relevant enough to appeal to the audience that turned up this year then happy days, they'll have a belting time.

I'll go back to my original question since it's been avoided so far - does he have 21 moderately well known song to keep people entertained for the duration because I genuinely don't know. I'm not having a dig at his headline credentials there, I'm just interested to know.

Yes, he’s had two number one albums and features on multiple other well known single releases.

You should prepare yourself to be underwhelmed as he’s going to be headlining MSE and the crowd and press will lap it up and it will be touted as a defining moment.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Do you really think after the past few years they are going to have a top set like that? I swear to god this is why every year it’s so much fun to watch meltdowns in this thread. You guys walk head first into it every time.

You guys will have a year where the biggest artists on the lineup are people like Post, Kid Laori, Becky Hill, Liam Gallagher etc and go into the next year expecting Metallica, Rage, Arctic Monkeys and The Killers. Temper your expectations a bit. Reading can’t afford a top set of artists like that anymore.

They had Foo Fighters at the last festival. Can’t imagine - even with Big Boomer Dave’s love of the festival - they come cheap. Would put them in the same price bracket as The Killers?

I do want them to bring the next batch of headliners through though. It’s what this festival is great at doing. 

54 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

8 million dollars? Well that’s just been plucked from someone’s arse 😂

Yeah, that's a bollocks estimate.

The likes of Metallica, U2 etc with full on touring will make around $30-50m a year for all their gigs and there was that list of what band's charge to play a gig which leaked a few years ago with the top end bands like Foo Fighters charging upto a $1.5m, of course that's subject to negotiation and a recognized festival with experienced bookers can probably get it down.

Edited by jump

A reminder that Travis hasn’t been doing extended tours for a while now and would be booked for one or two dates (either festival dates or big shows like Rolling Loud). If it was part of a wider tour I think he would be less expensive due to doing more shows. However, if R&L would be his only UK show it would cost a bomb.

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Not at all - seems to be the going rate for Coachella headliners of Travis’s stature. I reckon he would cost Reading a fortune.

Coachella headliner pay aren't the going rate though, it's a massive payday outside of the norm and it's tixs are expensive even by UK standards. 

Also does Coachella still not let you drink at the fest? I never understood why someone would want to go to a fest and not drink at it.

Just now, RarerThanDandyB said:

Oh I strongly disagree with that bit, as Andre said, nobody's given any evidence to back up those ridiculous claims.

Yeah, The only fee in that region I could find for Coachella was when they booked Beyonce in 2018, who definitely is a bigger name in the industry than Travis regardless of if you like her music or not

15 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Defeats the object of even going.

There's only one festival which was good enough that I would go to and not drink at, it was the old Ben & Jerry's Sundae in London. £15 to see Fun Lovin Criminals and Ash with free ice cream. Fuck V, Sonisphere and TITP, the greatest casualty in the festival wars was Ben & Jerry's! 

22 minutes ago, LazyDavid said:

I'd guess we'd get a few headliners and a couple others in the run up to Christmas maybe? Isn't it usually February/March time?

Yh usually like November, then December/January, then the rest like Feb March. Hoping it’s stuttered with headliner reveals, like it used to be, adds a bit more excitement.

would love a Rage reveal day type hype day again, that was something else. 

28 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Yeah, The only fee in that region I could find for Coachella was when they booked Beyonce in 2018, who definitely is a bigger name in the industry than Travis regardless of if you like her music or not

Ariana was paid that amount of money too.

Regardless my point is that Travis is used to getting huge pay checks now and whilst I don’t doubt R&L would cough up a lot of money to get him, I think he’s pretty far away from them now. He’s in the same category as Drake to me in terms of their likelihood to secure him.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

1. Verdansk

2. Clash

3. Three Rivers

4. Both Sides of A Smile

5. Twenty To One

6. Heart Attack

7. Psycho

8. Streatham

9. Black

10. Location

11. Disaster

12. Screw face Capital

13. Question Time 

14. Titanium

15. Funky Friday

16. 100M’s

17. Thiago Silva

18. Wanna Know

19. Six Paths

20. 18Hunna (Headie One cover)

21. System

That’s just me listing, not an actual setlist, but i guarantee a setlist that covers even 3 quarters of those songs would go down insanely well. I’d say that setlist overall contains more mainstream known songs than stormzy’s set did (though obviously the big stormzy hits are bigger) so there’s no question he could headline and has the catalog to do it imo.  Originally had Money Talks by Fredo on there but realised System was a big single too so swapped that out

28 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

1. Verdansk

2. Clash

3. Three Rivers

4. Both Sides of A Smile

5. Twenty To One

6. Heart Attack

7. Psycho

8. Streatham

9. Black

10. Location

11. Disaster

12. Screw face Capital

13. Question Time 

14. Titanium

15. Funky Friday

16. 100M’s

17. Thiago Silva

18. Wanna Know

19. Six Paths

20. 18Hunna (Headie One cover)

21. System

That’s just me listing, not an actual setlist, but i guarantee a setlist that covers even 3 quarters of those songs would go down insanely well. I’d say that setlist overall contains more mainstream known songs than stormzy’s set did (though obviously the big stormzy hits are bigger) so there’s no question he could headline and has the catalog to do it imo.  Originally had Money Talks by Fredo on there but realised System was a big single too so swapped that out

There’s so many more too, could do it without a shadow of a doubt

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

The Killers haven’t played the festival for 13 years. I don’t think there’s much danger of them rocking up these days. 

Especially as their US Tour is booked for August/Sept 2022

Dave/Royal Blood

Rage/Courteeners

Gorillaz/Cardi B

And if the above is the case I'd be booking a day ticket, could see AM if they don't roll over Rage but wouldn't be shocked if that's been in place since 2020 as they have carried everything else over. 

Gorillaz not too sure with but can't see them having both Foals and Courteeners on.