2022 Festival

I just can't see Dave closing a night he is an incredibly talented artist but I just don't think he has those feel good hit songs you'd want to end a night on that's my take. I've seen him live and although he's very talented I just felt a bit bored by his performance

Edited by Paulmcm1998
Spelling

2 minutes ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

I just can't see Dave closing a night he is an incredibly talented artist but I just don't think he has those feel good hit songs you'd want to end a night on that's my take. I've seen him live and although he's very talented I just felt a bit bored by his performance

I disagree.

I’m an oldie fogie in my thirties and he doesn’t excite me but objectively he’s the “in” thing and he could easily headline and the crowd at the festival would eat up a headline set by him, even as a Sunday night close the entire festival vibe he would smash it.

4 minutes ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

I’d have to agree with this. I’m the bang opposite of Dave’s core audience but, unlike Post Malone, Stormzy etc, I couldn’t name you one Dave song. He’d get a massive crowd though based on this year.

Genuine question because I’ve honestly no idea but does he have the kinda well known back catalogue there to fill a 21 song headline set?

39 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I’d have to agree with this. I’m the bang opposite of Dave’s core audience but, unlike Post Malone, Stormzy etc, I couldn’t name you one Dave song. He’d get a massive crowd though based on this year.

So, if as you say, he’d get a massive crowd then why don’t you think he could headline?

I’m the same as you and not the target audience but you’ve just said he would get a huge crowd so why don’t you agree he could headline? 

4 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

So, if as you say, he’d get a massive crowd then why don’t you think he could headline?

I’m the same as you and not the target audience but you’ve just said he would get a huge crowd so why don’t you agree he could headline? 

I can definitely see him as an MSW headliner but after this year I’m of the mindset that MSE headliners should be the massive, stadium-playing names. I won’t be the only one to whom Dave isn’t the big internationally renowned name they hope to see headline R&L.

Acts this year like Aitch, Kid Laroi, AJ Tracey got massive crowds but they won’t headline. Obviously other factors like relevance and affordability come into it and to a lot of people he’ll tick all the right boxes but if he (or even most arena acts tbh) headlined R&L outright I’d be a bit underwhelmed in all honesty, whether I liked the act or not.

1 hour ago, stanh said:

if they can afford postie, they can probably afford travis, i'd imagine he costs a similar amount - i prefer travis out of them both, but it's undeniable postie has more streams and hits - and they both charge similar prices on tour, so i highly doubt travis is out of r&l's price bracket 

I reckon Travis probably costs about 8 million dollars. Way more than Postie. I reckon Travis would be the most expensive headline booking they’d ever make. I think he’s too expensive for R&L now.

Edited by Matt42

22 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Wouldn’t be shocked to see Arctic monkeys there. Not done it since 2014 and almost certainly about next summer. Agree with the Dave suggestions. 

Also if 6 headliners I imagines Courteeners could get the nod. Maybe BMTH too?

BMTH would surely have to headline MSW under RATM on MSE purely to get the day ticket holders in or it’ll be half empty. Starting to feel like now or never for them sadly and I fear it could be the latter.

MSE: RATM / Olivia Rodrigo / Aitch / Don Broco / Denzel Curry / Girl In Red / Lauran Hibberd

MSW: BMTH / Machine Gun Kelly / Anne-Marie / Måneskin / PinkPantheress / Creeper / The Mysterines

40 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Because at the moment I think there is some serious disillusionment with past reading attendees with how far the festival has moved in one direction. I haven’t been since 2014, but I can visibly see it’s an entirely different festival now with an entirely different audience. I expect more and more hip hop / pop / drill etc on the bill and less rock as years go on.

It seems that the “heritage” bookings now are pop punk bands from the 00s. This will only get more obvious.

I am so surprised there are still people who attend every year expecting lineups like 2005.

I’m sorry, are people taking the piss, Dave is the biggest artist in the country right now for the R&L demographic, I’ve never felt hype like it when he came out with Stormzy, he’s just got his second number 1 album off the back of a Brits winner. 
In terms of big songs, Thiago Silva and Funky Friday are the obvious ones. But Twenty to One, Clash and Location could all easily close a set. 
There is no argument about his status as @Andre91 has said he is “the most conscious, vital and talented artist in the country right now”. If you get a chance go and listen to most of his catalogue. There’s enough songs to fill a 21 song set and more. And people hang on his every word, they will know the lyrics to every single one, unlike LG where a handful knew all, most were there for Wonderwall.

It makes complete sense to have him as a headliner and close a night, to close a weekend, in a year with 3 headliners he could do the same. And he can only get better, the guys 23 ffs and he’s in the goated category. He’s a grounded guy who’s flow is unreal and would ABSO FUCKING LUTELY SMASH A MF HEADLINE SET. End of conversation, don’t give me no more Dave ain’t big enough bollocks 

30 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I can definitely see him as an MSW headliner but after this year I’m of the mindset that MSE headliners should be the massive, stadium-playing names. I won’t be the only one to whom Dave isn’t the big internationally renowned name they hope to see headline R&L.

There’s no way on Earth either in the current format that you get 3 stadium selling artists every year. Arguably LG isn’t stadium selling is he? If you’re talking Foos, Muse, Rage then the rest of the lineup is gonna be absolute piss.

Edited by Gerard the Fab
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

I’m sorry, are people taking the piss, Dave is the biggest artist in the country right now for the R&L demographic, I’ve never felt hype like it when he came out with Stormzy, he’s just got his second number 1 album off the back of a Brits winner. 
In terms of big songs, Thiago Silva and Funky Friday are the obvious ones. But Twenty to One, Clash and Location could all easily close a set. 
There is no argument about his status as @Andre91 has said he is “the most conscious, vital and talented artist in the country right now”. If you get a chance go and listen to most of his catalogue. There’s enough songs to fill a 21 song set and more. And people hang on his every word, they will know the lyrics to every single one, unlike LG where a handful knew all, most were there for Wonderwall.

It makes complete sense to have him as a headliner and close a night, to close a weekend, in a year with 3 headliners he could do the same. And he can only get better, the guys 23 ffs and he’s in the goated category. He’s a grounded guy who’s flow is unreal and would ABSO FUCKING LUTELY SMASH A MF HEADLINE SET. End of conversation, don’t give me no more Dave ain’t big enough bollocks 

There’s no way on Earth either in the current format that you get 3 stadium selling artists every year. Arguably LG isn’t stadium selling is he? If you’re talking Foos, Muse, Rage then the rest of the lineup is gonna be absolute piss.

I completely agree with you that he's bang on the money for the demographic but I still just don't think he's got singalongs. Stormzy is much more commercial and he didn't even maintain a consistent atmosphere for his set alot of folk seemed disinterested unless it was one of his hits. Dave has thiago Silva and funky friday and maybe location where I reckon most attendees would know the words. Even though he is a terrific social commentator I still just don't think you'd end a night on him he just won't bring a bouncy lively atmosphere IMO. I seen him in Glasgow and the crowd seemed pretty bored until thiago silva and funky Friday were on. I get he is a bigger deal in england but I still think in terms of popularity stormzy is miles ahead of him and he would be better headlining the second main stage than closing the night.

10 minutes ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

I completely agree with you that he's bang on the money for the demographic but I still just don't think he's got singalongs. Stormzy is much more commercial and he didn't even maintain a consistent atmosphere for his set alot of folk seemed disinterested unless it was one of his hits. Dave has thiago Silva and funky friday and maybe location where I reckon most attendees would know the words. Even though he is a terrific social commentator I still just don't think you'd end a night on him he just won't bring a bouncy lively atmosphere IMO. I seen him in Glasgow and the crowd seemed pretty bored until thiago silva and funky Friday were on. I get he is a bigger deal in england but I still think in terms of popularity stormzy is miles ahead of him and he would be better headlining the second main stage than closing the night.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one, I think he’d be immense 

• Thanks 1

He's not as big as Stormzy and doesn't have the number of 'hits' he has but he'd get a massive crowd, he's the next logical step to headline that slot especially based off the massive arena tour he's announced today. He's definitely Reading & Leeds headline material, but not at that Glastonbury level (yet) I don't think

8 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

If Andre is correct:

Dave/Foals

Kasabian/Jorja Smith

Rage/Royal Blood

I think Dave definitely. R&L booked PM purely off of crowd reception and size again.

Kasabian is a no for me, not even sure for the smaller slot although if Disclosure can. Just no lead singer now. 

Rage really don't fit it, they probably will try for them again but I think Rage if around might do their own thing and then headline Download 2023. I absolutely think Rage and SOAD will do 2023 there.

Not in this note but Gerry by the sounds of it is definitely going to be back to headline in quick succession like Liam did. But I feel he might be a alternated headliner like Leeds headline, Reading second due to his north roots.

8 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

He might well be the biggest artist in the country right now, but as I said, personally I don't know anything about him or his songs and I won't be the only one which is ultimately making me ask the question. Yeah we'll be the minority but there'll still be people that, like me, will feel underwhelmed if MSE is headlined by someone you can't name one song by. If he's relevant enough to appeal to the audience that turned up this year then happy days, they'll have a belting time.

I'll go back to my original question since it's been avoided so far - does he have 21 moderately well known song to keep people entertained for the duration because I genuinely don't know. I'm not having a dig at his headline credentials there, I'm just interested to know.

As for Foos/Muse/Rage - obviously not, they won't headline together now will they. LG has been there and done it (Old Trafford, Finsbury Park), Stormzy (headlined Glasto) etc. As relevant as Dave may be, this arena tour is the highest he's gone after only playing academies as recently as 2019 - arenas obviously won't be his ceiling though. If Melvin can book him as an MSW headliner the lineup looks so much stronger, even to those who like Dave, there's no two ways about it.

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Because at the moment I think there is some serious disillusionment with past reading attendees with how far the festival has moved in one direction. I haven’t been since 2014, but I can visibly see it’s an entirely different festival now with an entirely different audience. I expect more and more hip hop / pop / drill etc on the bill and less rock as years go on.

It seems that the “heritage” bookings now are pop punk bands from the 00s. This will only get more obvious.

I am so surprised there are still people who attend every year expecting lineups like 2005.

It's massively different and will never been the same again. Even as recently as 2017 it had Kasabian, Muse and Eminem so no different from an early 10s set of headliners.

It'll never be like 2005 again, there's no festival in the UK, not even Download, that appeals that crowd these days. One thing that hasn't changed so far is they're still booking internationally renowned acts to headline which is what I'm sure we all want to see

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

I could see Dave, Drake and The Weeknd all in the mix? Dua and Billie as well.

Rage would be nailed on I think. MCR? Maybe a big-hitting indie band that hasn’t played for a while like Arctic Monkeys or The Killers as well.

Do you really think after the past few years they are going to have a top set like that? I swear to god this is why every year it’s so much fun to watch meltdowns in this thread. You guys walk head first into it every time.

You guys will have a year where the biggest artists on the lineup are people like Post, Kid Laori, Becky Hill, Liam Gallagher etc and go into the next year expecting Metallica, Rage, Arctic Monkeys and The Killers. Temper your expectations a bit. Reading can’t afford a top set of artists like that anymore.