2022 Festival

I am rather surprised that people reckon Miley Cyrus would headline/play. I know pop has an increasing place at R+L but it would be too far a shift imo - especially considering the festival dipped on female headliners this year. If Miley was in their sights then a lot of female artists would be, and they probably wouldn't have such a bloke-heavy headline group.

I echo what @dentaIpIanhas said. Miley Cyrus is too pop for R&L. Not just that but she is one of the biggest names in the world in terms of mainstream exposure and would likely command an astronomical fee. If she was to hit festivals in the UK, I think a day at BST would be far more likely. 

On the topic of female artists, I’ve been hammering that last Charli XCX album. It’s geccin’ af. After thinking her 2019 set was one of the worst things I’ve ever seen on the Main Stage (the lip syncing was shameless), I’m actually quite looking forward to her set next year to hear these new songs live. 

Edited by Andre91

On 11/21/2020 at 7:43 AM, Andre91 said:

If their tour sells well (which I suspect it will due to the lack of anything this year and the reception the EP has got), BMTH aren’t subbing anything. They will firmly be in the headliner category. 

We’ve said this many times before though

On 11/21/2020 at 5:41 PM, Andre91 said:

I echo what @dentaIpIanhas said. Miley Cyrus is too pop for R&L. Not just that but she is one of the biggest names in the world in terms of mainstream exposure and would likely command an astronomical fee. If she was to hit festivals in the UK, I think a day at BST would be far more likely. 

On the topic of female artists, I’ve been hammering that last Charli XCX album. It’s geccin’ af. After thinking her 2019 set was one of the worst things I’ve ever seen on the Main Stage (the lip syncing was shameless), I’m actually quite looking forward to her set next year to hear these new songs live. 

Yeah I think it’s a good point, I’m probably forgetting what other festivals would be in the way of her appearing at R&L. 

I think she’d be a popular booking at the festival, but you are right that I can’t see her really being booked.

I’ve got this feeling that the Weeknd will headline next year. I’m not sure why it’s just a strong hunch.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah I think it’s a good point, I’m probably forgetting what other festivals would be in the way of her appearing at R&L. 

I think she’d be a popular booking at the festival, but you are right that I can’t see her really being booked.

I’ve got this feeling that the Weeknd will headline next year. I’m not sure why it’s just a strong hunch.

Ik he’s a big artist, but can he headline outright, or would you think coheadlining

4 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Ik he’s a big artist, but can he headline outright, or would you think coheadlining

Outright. I’m pretty sure his most recent album is the biggest streamed album of 2020 right? I know it’s 2020 but I’d wager he’s bigger than Post Malone.

33 minutes ago, stanh said:

definitely outright in my opinion, this year especially has been huge for him... and he is doing the super bowl halftime show next year too, hes going strength to strength 

fair enough, an interesting question would be then. Do you have him, an Indie band and a rock band or him, Dua Lipa (could she ouright?) and someone else or an indie/rock band. I am heavily inclined to think Dua will be there next year, idk why, but I can't see a rapper and a pop headliner on separate days for fears of alienating an audience. I dont know thats my take 

On 11/24/2020 at 3:53 PM, Gerard the Fab said:

fair enough, an interesting question would be then. Do you have him, an Indie band and a rock band or him, Dua Lipa (could she ouright?) and someone else or an indie/rock band. I am heavily inclined to think Dua will be there next year, idk why, but I can't see a rapper and a pop headliner on separate days for fears of alienating an audience. I dont know thats my take 

I think you’re underestimating how mainstream the Weeknd is. If Travis Scott packed out the field before astroworld imagine what the Weeknd would pull now.

Also wtf with the Grammys man? I would have put a bet on he’d get a clean sweep and bag a stupid amount of records.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I think you’re underestimating how mainstream the Weeknd is. If Travis Scott packed out the field before astroworld imagine what the Weeknd would pull now.

Also wtf with the Grammys man? I would have put a bet on he’d get a clean sweep and bag a stupid amount of records.

the album of the year category is an absolute shambles at the grammy's this year, coldplay? post malone? the weeknd definitely made a bigger impact than both of them this year and after hours was also by far the better album imo

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

No I do get how big he is, I think I was trying to say I don’t think they’d have a rap and a pop headliner separate days I’m not sure 

Dua Lipa/BMTH

The Weeknd

the Killers

And I don’t really follow music awards, but I agree, imo Everyday Life is by fat Coldplay’s worse ever record and I didn’t even know Post Malone release this year, the Weeknd thoroughly deserves to win it, let alone be nominated 

Think it would be good to see it go back to 3 headliners next year. Would like to see 3 new headliners including a female headliner. Think the below would keep the different R&L crowds happy while keeping it really fresh and interesting.

Travis Scott
Bring Me The Horizon
Billie Eilish

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m in the camp that BMTH will never happen now.

Don’t think R&L want it.

Yeah I'm not sure it'll ever happen but I'd like it too. 

There is a good interview on YouTube with Oli Sykes and I think it's NME where they ask them about headlining festivals etc. and he talks about wanting to be 1st choice and not a replacement. Also, not caring too much about headlining festivals and doing things there own way/differently. It leads me to believe they've probably be offered a headline slot/s after bands couldn't do it or as a co-headliner or 1 of 6 headliners and they've said no. 

2 hours ago, foolee said:

Think it would be good to see it go back to 3 headliners next year. Would like to see 3 new headliners including a female headliner. Think the below would keep the different R&L crowds happy while keeping it really fresh and interesting.

Travis Scott
Bring Me The Horizon
Billie Eilish

I can't see them ditching an indie headliner, would put a lot of people off myself included. I wouldn't mind if there was like 3 indie subs instead but we all know it would be like gerry, lewis capaldi and courteeners. I wish kasabian was still around i think they would fit well as travis scott, kasabian, billie

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

I can't see them ditching an indie headliner, would put a lot of people off myself included. I wouldn't mind if there was like 3 indie subs instead but we all know it would be like gerry, lewis capaldi and courteeners. I wish kasabian was still around i think they would fit well as travis scott, kasabian, billie

Yeah that's true. Can't think of loads of indie headliners thought. Maybe The Killers? 

6 hours ago, foolee said:

There is a good interview on YouTube with Oli Sykes and I think it's NME where they ask them about headlining festivals etc. and he talks about wanting to be 1st choice and not a replacement.

I am going to be careful how I say this, but I feel like they are shooting themselves in the foot with that approach. They need to look at their career objectively and not only through the opinions of their fans.

BMTH will always be a second choice headline band. Unfortunately that’s just the way it is. They are a popular U.K. band but anyone who isn’t a mainstream act will be a second fiddle unless they have a strong pre-existing relationship with the festival.

They are a moderate sized U.K. act that could be given a leg up to headline if R&L/Download don’t have bigger artists lined up to do it.

I think their omission from both R&L and Download for so long makes sense now. If their management is taking the approach of sitting by the phone waiting to be the first call - then it’s never going to happen.

I think they need to step back and look at the situation objectively.

5 hours ago, gfa said:

I can't see them ditching an indie headliner, would put a lot of people off myself included. 

I think it won’t be long until they book two hip hop headliners in one year.

The festival seems to sell the best when they call back Fall Out Boy / Panic / Paramore etc and they book some current hip hop artist. Seems to be the balance that R&L’s attendees look for now.

They could get away with MCR and two hip hop artists easy.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I think it won’t be long until they book two hip hop headliners in one year.

The festival seems to sell the best when they call back Fall Out Boy / Panic / Paramore etc and they book some current hip hop artist. Seems to be the balance that R&L’s attendees look for now.

They could get away with MCR and two hip hop artists easy.

MCR on its own is all gooooood, set a night 

On 11/23/2020 at 11:48 AM, Gerard the Fab said:

All headliners are gonna be coheadlining from now, aren’t they? Building a new main stage wouldn’t be a one-time thing. I don’t think it will limit who they can book as headliners either.

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

All headliners are gonna be coheadlining from now, aren’t they? Building a new main stage wouldn’t be a one-time thing. I don’t think it will limit who they can book as headliners either.

I was thinking this, having 6 “headliners” doesn’t mean some usual candidates can’t be booked, it means there’s more chance to book new artists who haven’t headlined before. If idk take Foo Fighters for example, if you have them headlining the closing stage at both, then they are arguably headlining, as due to the no clash and one on one off nature of 2 stages they’d have a similar amount of time to usual. The only problem may be money, 6 headliners and one being bigger would be expensive, but if they are to get rid of the R1 that will safe a helluva lot of money. I think we’ll see 6 headliners for a few years, while they blood a fresh set for the next couple of decades. However, knowing R&L they’ll go back to 3, but end up having 3 sets of co headliners or something just to fuck with us