2022 Festival

Having had a full week to live with the album, I’ve formed some very strong opinions about the Dave album. 

For me, it is an album that will be talked about and lauded over for decades and decades to come. As a social commentary, it is unmatched in 2021. Put it up there with your RATM’s, your Toxicity’s, your Bob Dylan’s etc. It’s every bit as cutting, vital and essential as those records. 

Three Rivers and especially Heart Attack are two of the most depressing, crushing but wholly impressive songs of the 21st Century. It is insane that this guy is only 23 years of age. His articulacy and poignancy are unmatched in his genre. 

It currently sits at #2 in my albums of the year list but it should be number 1, the only reason it isn’t is because I love beer and the sunshine and The Dirty Nil are better suited to that. Artistically, thematically and socially consciously, nothing is touching this album in 2021. Nothing. 

If R&L haven’t already got him signed on the dotted line for 2022, they are missing a trick. Whether it is 6 headliners or 3, Dave deserves to be one of them. 

There is no artist more important in the UK right now. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Having had a full week to live with the album, I’ve formed some very strong opinions about the Dave album. 

For me, it is an album that will be talked about and lauded over for decades and decades to come. As a social commentary, it is unmatched in 2021. Put it up there with your RATM’s, your Toxicity’s, your Bob Dylan’s etc. It’s every bit as cutting, vital and essential as those records. 

Three Rivers and especially Heart Attack are two of the most depressing, crushing but wholly impressive songs of the 21st Century. It is insane that this guy is only 23 years of age. His articulacy and poignancy are unmatched in his genre. 

It currently sits at #2 in my albums of the year list but it should be number 1, the only reason it isn’t is because I love beer and the sunshine and The Dirty Nil are better suited to that. Artistically, thematically and socially consciously, nothing is touching this album in 2021. Nothing. 

If R&L haven’t already got him signed on the dotted line for 2022, they are missing a trick. Whether it is 6 headliners or 3, Dave deserves to be one of them. 

There is no artist more important in the UK right now. 

Wish there was something more than a like, you can tell how much the album has hit you and I can feel the emotion through your words. The album is amazing and so is your review mate 👏👏

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Assuming it's 3, Dave / Dua Lipa / RATM would be pretty sick.

If its 6, 21P / Royal Blood / Courteeners on the non-closing stage.

I don’t think it’ll be far off of this. TOP could be swapped out for BMTH or Queens. 

2 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Dance act is an interesting one, is there really anyone that size that could do it, Major Lazer have fallen off and I don’t think a Pendulum suits that stagr

Chemical Bros?

2 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Dance act is an interesting one, is there really anyone that size that could do it, Major Lazer have fallen off and I don’t think a Pendulum suits that stagr

I wouldn't say Disclosure are big enough either though? Maybe someone like deadmau5, Calvin Harris, David Guetta, Andy C, The Chemical Brothers or Fat Boy Slim. But they aren't exactly suited to the festival but you'd think they'd want a big dance act on the main stage with 6 headliners considering the 2nd biggest stage is the dance stage. 

5 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Not sure they’d fit, Calvin Harris maybe but he’s big enough to close a night. What about Chase and Status?

On another note, I don’t think much of the new Billie album

Calvin Harris closing with Royal Blood would work though? 

Rate the singles and Happier Than Ever but the rest needs some more listens but after the first few it doesn't seem as good as the first.

Edited by foolee

3 hours ago, foolee said:

Calvin Harris closing with Royal Blood would work though? 

Rate the singles and Happier Than Ever but the rest needs some more listens but after the first few it doesn't seem as good as the first.

Potentially actually, I’m not sure I could see him there tho, think it would be more likely to have another pop/rap headliner and just a good dance stage lineup

Yh maybe, but nowhere near as good as her debut, which I just loved because no two songs were the same, this feels very similar throughout

18 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

How come

i think 6 still:

Dave/QOTSA

RATM/Courteeners

Paramore/Royal Blood

could Haim do it?

and would Billie do it, if yes her in for Paramore

I personally think Billie is too big for R&L now as she will surely be in a position to do larger venues. I think they will get outbidded by other opportunities.

I also think Dua will have other options, plus I don’t think she really fits as an R&L headliner.

I think if there is to be a female headliner it will be someone who is less competitive to secure, someone like Doja Cat imo. It would make sense too as Doja hasn’t rescheduled 2021.

QOTSA, Dave, Doja Cat, RATM, Twenty One Pilots, Royal Blood - is still my bet.

Edited by Matt42

26 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I personally think Billie is too big for R&L now as she will surely be in a position to do larger venues. I think they will get outbidded by other opportunities.

I also think Dua will have other options, plus I don’t think she really fits as an R&L headliner.

I think if there is to be a female headliner it will be someone who is less competitive to secure, someone like Doja Cat imo. It would make sense too as Doja hasn’t rescheduled 2021.

QOTSA, Dave, Doja Cat, RATM, Twenty One Pilots, Royal Blood - is still my bet.

Don't think you can be too big for R+L, they've pulled so many legendary artists in at the peak of their careers, if i'm not mistaken it probably pays the highest fee for artists too? Billie definitely might have a bigger opportunity next year in Glastonbury but there's nothing stopping her if she isn't

13 minutes ago, OnlyRevolutions said:

Don't think you can be too big for R+L, they've pulled so many legendary artists in at the peak of their careers, if i'm not mistaken it probably pays the highest fee for artists too? Billie definitely might have a bigger opportunity next year in Glastonbury but there's nothing stopping her if she isn't

Well when was the last time R&L got someone of mega stature in their peak? I’m talking Drake, Ed Sheeran, The Weeknd, Travis Scott sized? (Either stadium artists or acts that could do tenfold dates in the UK tours).

I just think R&L doesn’t have the same pull anymore that it does for the mega stars. Their booking policy seems to have changed too, probably to be more sustainable. Being a late summer festival the mega artists want to tour early summer and head to the US in the late summer. It’s getting harder and harder for R&L. Much easier for them to book 6 solid acts that will go down well with attendees than chase a mega star.

Edited by Matt42

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Well when was the last time R&L got someone of mega stature in their peak? I’m talking Drake, Ed Sheeran, The Weeknd, Travis Scott sized? (Either stadium artists or acts that could do tenfold dates in the UK tours).

I just think R&L doesn’t have the same pull anymore that it does for the mega stars. Their booking policy seems to have changed too, probably to be more sustainable. Being a late summer festival the mega artists want to tour early summer and head to the US in the late summer. It’s getting harder and harder for R&L. Much easier for them to book 6 solid acts that will go down well with attendees than chase a mega star.

Post Malone was in his peak at the time he headlined and although he hasn't done a run of stadiums in the UK (at least i don't think he has) he could easily do so, could even argue Billie was too when she played (although she was booked well before she blew up to the size she was when she played)

21 minutes ago, OnlyRevolutions said:

Post Malone was in his peak at the time he headlined and although he hasn't done a run of stadiums in the UK (at least i don't think he has) he could easily do so, could even argue Billie was too when she played (although she was booked well before she blew up to the size she was when she played)

Post is big but I think he’s a notch below the others I’ve listed above. 

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Post is big but I think he’s a notch below the others I’ve listed above. 

I definitely prefer Travis Scott as an artist and actively listen to him, which I don't with Post but when comparing the two Post strikes me as the bigger artist, they're both international superstars on a very similar level of popularity but Post dominates streaming services, just have to look at his current streams on his popular songs on Spotify and the majority of them are well over 1B plays (one even reaching well over 2B) which is consistent with Drake and Ed. Travis has GREAT numbers but still a lot less than Post across the board.

47 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Travis Scott subbed in 2018 after Astroworld, don't think he has gotten any bigger since that year