2022 Festival

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

most people hardly even / don't use the bars at all. none of my group have an issue with warm beers, especially when compared to a £7 carling. will be a negligible difference but i guess that difference is all profit for them

This will be hugely demographic specific.  When I was a poor kid, we would’ve bought 1-2 drinks in the arena a weekend. 

Once I had disposable income, no chance I was going back to the tent to save 7 quid. 

I’ll easily spend 60 quid a day on beer at reading this year, assuming an earlyish entry

10 minutes ago, Benj said:

This will be hugely demographic specific.  When I was a poor kid, we would’ve bought 1-2 drinks in the arena a weekend. 

Once I had disposable income, no chance I was going back to the tent to save 7 quid. 

I’ll easily spend 60 quid a day on beer at reading this year, assuming an earlyish entry

I think your in the vast minority there as you said. Most people drink at the camps, only have to walk around campsites at night to see how busy they are / do drugs / smuggle drinks in. It sounds like this won't make a difference to your drinking habits anyway!

7 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think your in the vast minority there as you said. Most people drink at the camps, only have to walk around campsites at night to see how busy they are / do drugs / smuggle drinks in. It sounds like this won't make a difference to your drinking habits anyway!

There are plenty of people who use the bars, you can just see by looking around in the arena people drinking from the cups, the peak time bar queues (and the cup monkey towers!)

Pretty sure it’s a socio economic thing, once you’re 24-25 and on a decent wage, there’s no chance you’re walking back to white, missing 2 hours+ of music to save £20

Then of course you have the day trippers too…

THE single best thing about Reeading though is that the bars are never overly busy, bar a couple of peak times a day, you never wait more than a minute or 2 to be served  and even at peak, it’s 5-10 max, unlike other venues where it can take 30–40 mins (at which point I would be back to the tent!)

Edited by Benj

Even if its a vast minority, you just need to look at the bar queues in the evening to see how much trade they do and what a difference it makes to the festival's finances.  I'm the same as Benj in that I rarely go back to the tent during the day, and probably still wouldn't if you could take cans into the arena, but if you could take cans in I would still take four or so in to drink before using the bars and that's four pints less that they'd sell to me every day.

Yep, the line up being aimed at tweens means there's not much for me to see so I'm spending most of the day at the bar and getting shit faced so it's handy the bars are empty due to the kids aren't old enough to drink. Of course the other side to that is I'm gonna be a wreck by the time Rage on.

Sorry in advance to anyone I throw up on in the pit!

1 minute ago, WFD said:

Even if its a vast minority, you just need to look at the bar queues in the evening to see how much trade they do and what a difference it makes to the festival's finances.  I'm the same as Benj in that I rarely go back to the tent during the day, and probably still wouldn't if you could take cans into the arena, but if you could take cans in I would still take four or so in to drink before using the bars and that's four pints less that they'd sell to me every day.

Yup, they take a huge amount at the bars, despite what everyone thinks, there’s loads of 25+ at Reading .

Allowing BYOB would decimate a huge profit centre for the organisation. 

Just now, jump said:

Yep, the line up being aimed at tweens means there's not much for me to see so I'm spending most of the day at the bar and getting shit faced so it's handy the bars are empty due to the kids aren't old enough to drink. Of course the other side to that is I'm gonna be a wreck by the time Rage on.

Lightweight!

2 minutes ago, Benj said:

Lightweight!

I drank 12 pints seeing Jack White the other night. The last fest I went to I drank 5 cases of beer plus I went to the bar loads when I was in the arena.

I specifically tell people not to include me in rounds as I drink too much but every now and then someone takes it as a challenge so they try to keep up with me, they end up slaughtered and on the floor whilst I'm still standing.

It's not a vast minority who use the bars, for goodness sake. Plenty of people use the bars, there's always queues. Because you don't, you likely won't see them. 

I'm the same as above though; when I was younger, I maybe bought 2/3 pints at the bars but now I'm older, I can afford it so I make many visits throughout the day. 

Teenagers naturally won't visit the bar much because they can't afford it; it's always been that way. But there are still thousands upon thousands of people at R&L in their 20s and 30s who will queue up for a cold beer. 

Edited by Andre91

Yeh, I dont think it's all about pushing people into the area to spend. If it was they wouldn't have coop selling meal deals. 

I'm definitely bringing my 100 can cool box. 99% sure it'll be ok.

4 hours ago, Benj said:

Pretty sure it’s a socio economic thing, once you’re 24-25 and on a decent wage, there’s no chance you’re walking back to white, missing 2 hours+ of music to save £20

So why would they not allow the coolboxes then - just weird

I'm obviously not saying it should be BYOB by the way. Just that not allowing coolboxes will make a negligible difference - they won't enforce it anyway no doubt!

2 hours ago, gfa said:

So why would they not allow the coolboxes then - just weird

I'm obviously not saying it should be BYOB by the way. Just that not allowing coolboxes will make a negligible difference - they won't enforce it anyway no doubt!

Oh right, is weird. Maybe they all get left behind and aren’t easily disposed of.

Would explain why they’re not banned in Leeds, no Yorkshireman worth his salt is leaving a working cool box behind!

I wouldn’t be paying 7gbp for a cold pint of Carlsberg if I could get my hands on a warm export that’s for sure!

2 hours ago, Benj said:

Oh right, is weird. Maybe they all get left behind and aren’t easily disposed of.

Would explain why they’re not banned in Leeds, no Yorkshireman worth his salt is leaving a working cool box behind!

I wouldn’t be paying 7gbp for a cold pint of Carlsberg if I could get my hands on a warm export that’s for sure!

Yeah maybe, i guess the Leeds-goers don't leave behind their culturally insensitive clothing either! That actually sounds right though to be fair.

55 minutes ago, gfa said:

Yeah maybe, i guess the Leeds-goers don't leave behind their culturally insensitive clothing either! That actually sounds right though to be fair.

Reading goers unable to wear flat caps

10 hours ago, jump said:

I take in a water bottle of vodka/gin and buy mixers and buy a few pints and a bottle of wine - probably spend about £40 at the bar a day. That plan always works a treat. The bars were absolutely dead until about 5pm, especially at the main stage without an act playing.

As a relatively skint Yorkshireman I’m very, and I mean very, tempted to try this considering I live 5 minutes away 

• Upvote 2

On 6/30/2022 at 10:52 AM, WFD said:

^ Yes was about to say they are allowed at Leeds.

Comparing the two lists, this is also prohibited at Reading but apparently ok at Leeds:

Clothing/Garments/Items which promote Cultural Appropriation

What on earth? Feel sorry for the poor security guards having to enforce that one. 

5 hours ago, willgooneday said:

What on earth? Feel sorry for the poor security guards having to enforce that one. 

It’s Festival Republic hinting at an Ariana Grande exclusive secret set at Leeds 👀

• Upvote 1

Dayglow

Never heard them/ him before today. Like it a lot. But how shit will that be second on the main stage as opposed to 4-5ish in the tent.

Will go see Static Dress in the PIT/FR tent instead

#bringbackthetent

5 minutes ago, Benj said:

Dayglow

Never heard them/ him before today. Like it a lot. But how shit will that be second on the main stage as opposed to 4-5ish in the tent.

Will go see Static Dress in the PIT/FR tent instead

#bringbackthetent

Seems like one of them acts that will pass a lot of people by at 1pm on the main stage. Hate to say it but there’s so many acts this year that would thrive in the late evening in the R1. Enter Shikari for example, prime R1 sub/headline material with the evening tent atmosphere.

Static Dress will be ace and if a crowd turns up it’ll be unreal.

• Upvote 1

There may well have been a discussion about this, but what are the prospects - at Reading, at least - of Bring Me the Horizon pivoting to include Bad Life in their show with a guest spot from Sigrid? Seems to have done decent mileage on pop radio and could well provide a big singalong moment. Believe she is in Norway for a festival on the Friday but otherwise free the rest of the weekend.

On 6/30/2022 at 10:52 AM, WFD said:

^ Yes was about to say they are allowed at Leeds.

Comparing the two lists, this is also prohibited at Reading but apparently ok at Leeds:

Clothing/Garments/Items which promote Cultural Appropriation

If the festival is clamping down on "cultural appropriation", does this mean all the food vendors will sell nothing but pie and chips? There'll be no pizza, noodles, burritos, etc. this year?

Also where will the line be drawn? Would it be considered offensive if someone turned up in, say, lederhosen dressed as a German?

I thought people laughed off the idea of cultural appropriation in around 2018.

15 minutes ago, VCK said:

If the festival is clamping down on "cultural appropriation", does this mean all the food vendors will sell nothing but pie and chips? There'll be no pizza, noodles, burritos, etc. this year?

This is the dream - wall to wall Yorkshire pudding vans and Whitby fish and chips at Leeds. Bars will only serve John Smiths. Sign me up.