2022 Festival

20 hours ago, m4tt said:

Haha, you're right on going to a different festival. Reading has become more of a habit that a choice. Next year I think that'll change. Had I known the full line up a few months back I think i'd be at 2000 trees instead.

That said, I do always have a blast at Reading, just feels like this year might be a bit harder.

Ironically the 2000 trees fest looks like a typical Pit/Lockup line up haha.

Not been to a full Leeds fest in like a decade at this point personally, it's been a day ticket for the obvious best day on the bill for years. AM / BMTH / Fontaines / Wolf Alice / Shikari etc this year is unreal but like fuck would I go for that weekend. 

Started going to more stuff abroad this year and it's kinda crazy how content I've been to stay in the UK for music when some of the EU lineups put us to shame as a nation 😂

8 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

This is definitely my last year. I’ve always had a good time and the fact that I can stay with friends in Reading certainly helps my decision on whether to go or not but I cannot see how next year will be to my taste.

No Pit, No lock up, realistically I’ll only want to see two or three on main stage, so it’s definitely the last for me.

Last year was due to be my last but the Rage booking swayed it but let’s fact it, we aren’t getting the likes of Rage ever again.

A bit sad after twenty years of going but plenty of other festivals for me to go to.

Bet you’ll have a great time and be back anyway!

On 6/24/2022 at 12:42 PM, andyrhodes24 said:

And yet weekend ticket prices went up by £20. I don’t see the value in this lineup format at all. If we’re paying more it’s not being reflected in the lineup

I paid £110 for a day ticket with Ticketmaser resale fees. It's shocking

Never been to Reading or Leeds and would take an incredible line up from what I've heard to get me anywhere near it.

Line up this year looks a mess - Artic Monkeys and RATM are decent headliners but the undercard doesn't suit those bands. 

How does the East/West thing work? Would you be able to watch BMTH and AM? 

Edited by willgooneday

2 hours ago, Komaric said:

I paid £110 for a day ticket with Ticketmaser resale fees. It's shocking

It’s absolutely insane - you could justify £90 for a day if they’d curated the lineup to match the headliner, but TM’s fees on top of a weak undercard is mad.

28 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

Never been to Reading or Leeds and would take an incredible line up from what I've heard to get me anywhere near it.

Line up this year looks a mess - Artic Monkeys and RATM are decent headliners but the undercard doesn't suit those bands. 

How does the East/West thing work? Would you be able to watch BMTH and AM? 

If you were at the back of BMTH you might make it, but if you were in the sections closer the stage you’d miss a few AM songs based on last year

I have read so much RHCP slander on here over the years and was expecting to be disappointed. But tonight I saw them for the first time and they blew me away. Sounded tight (even Anthony), had good energy and looked happy to be there. No reason they won't be booked again in the next few years. 

23 hours ago, sacred shape said:

I have read so much RHCP slander on here over the years and was expecting to be disappointed. But tonight I saw them for the first time and they blew me away. Sounded tight (even Anthony), had good energy and looked happy to be there. No reason they won't be booked again in the next few years. 

Was also there last night and thought they were fantastic. Would be more than happy to see them at R&L again.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 1:07 AM, stanh said:

I do think though if you had Harry Styles headlining R&L, there would be an awful lot of people wanting to watch him, even if they aren't hardcore fans - especially enough to pay £80+ just to see him at his own show, but at R&L, I think there would be a lot more appeal from most people, especially given his big tunes and then like Kiwi and stuff like that of course. I think also at his own shows the vibe is very different (seen him 5 times this year), I definitely think there is a very welcome spot for him there, and would go down pretty well with the average attendee, especially if you throw in a big-ish rap act, and someone like Sam Fender, I'd imagine it would be a very fast sellout - only issue I could see with a name like HS is the die hard fans grabbing all the tickets and camping out at main stage all day, which happened at Big Weekend and (from what I heard) Coachella, which would definitely kill the vibe for some acts earlier on in the day, much like when Billie and TØP were booked as they both have a very loyal fanbase who will wait all day just to see them. Rambling a bit here, but I hope that at least sort of makes sense? Idk😂

This kinda thing really pisses me off - i went to sziget and the 21p fans camped the front 3 rows of main stage barrier all day and ruined the atmosphere significantly, with Johnny Marr even swearing at them.

I’d be well up for RHCP but if they are going to splash the cash on a older name acts in the AM era make more sense than RHCP from the early 90s i think.

6 minutes ago, m4tt said:

Cool boxes and bags are banned this year 🤣🤣🤣

Capture.JPG

bit strange, latitude which is comparable still allows it. drive co-op sales i guess? can't think of any other reasoning really.

^ Yes was about to say they are allowed at Leeds.

Comparing the two lists, this is also prohibited at Reading but apparently ok at Leeds:

Clothing/Garments/Items which promote Cultural Appropriation

1 hour ago, m4tt said:

Cool boxes and bags are banned this year 🤣🤣🤣

Capture.JPG

Forgive my ignorance but is R&L the only major festival where you’re not allowed to take your own cans into the arena? Can obviously see the reasoning behind it but they’d have less people in the campsites all day if the kids who take their own beer into the campsites anyway could take it in the arena

1 minute ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Forgive my ignorance but is R&L the only major festival where you’re not allowed to take your own cans into the arena? Can obviously see the reasoning behind it but they’d have less people in the campsites all day if the kids who take their own beer into the campsites anyway could take it in the arena

No. Most (large ones at least) work on that basis

3 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Nah, most major fests don't let you take your own drink into the arena.

One of the many benefits of small/mid-sized camping festivals have over the major ones is that most will let you take your own drink in.

17 minutes ago, m4tt said:

It's not like they have bars in the campsite, or make a big deal out of selling cold cans.

Surely it's a mistake and should be  Campsite Y, Arena N

I was more wondering if it’d boost attendances in the arena through the day. I’m the first to moan at how busy it is at peak time, but Melvin will be in no rush to book a stronger daytime lineup if most people are still supping in the campsite at 3pm. It’ll never happen mind you

11 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I was more wondering if it’d boost attendances in the arena through the day. I’m the first to moan at how busy it is at peak time, but Melvin will be in no rush to book a stronger daytime lineup if most people are still supping in the campsite at 3pm. It’ll never happen mind you

Ultimately they'll do whatever works best for them financially - their priority is to make money, not to just have bigger crowds in earlier if those crowds aren't generating income.  Allowing cans into the arena would decimate the bar sales - it wouldn't just be the kids who usually drink on the campsite drinking cans in the arena, it would also be those of us who usually go in early and use the bars all day who would then take cans in instead.

22 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

most people hardly even / don't use the bars at all. none of my group have an issue with warm beers, especially when compared to a £7 carling. will be a negligible difference but i guess that difference is all profit for them