2022 Festival

3 hours ago, Komaric said:

I do think it's a shame about the rock bookings but I think you just have to accept it's just not that type of festival anymore. It's not a rock/indie festival anymore, it's rap/indie. I can't say I really blame FR either, I mean it seems to be working since it sold out in record time. I think most of the people who went last year were first timers (including myself and everyone I went with), the overwhelming majority of these people have no interest in the heavier rock bands.

My son is going for the first time this year with his mates who will also all be going for the first time. All of them going for dave etc and the only guitar band they have even the slightest interest in is AM. they would probably be better off at wireless or parklife but no camping at those 2. 

3 minutes ago, Brad75 said:

My son is going for the first time this year with his mates who will also all be going for the first time. All of them going for dave etc and the only guitar band they have even the slightest interest in is AM. they would probably be better off at wireless or parklife but no camping at those 2. 

Parklife with camping would be a instant sell out every year i reckon

I love that in this thread people are admonishing the festival for becoming a V clone, and in the 2023 thread are clamouring for Harry Styles and Dua Lipa to headline which is a like-for-like V festival pop booking.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I love that in this thread people are admonishing the festival for becoming a V clone, and in the 2023 thread are clamouring for Harry Styles and Dua Lipa to headline which is a like-for-like V festival pop booking.

They’ll push the button on headliners like Dua Lipa soon - with her, Mabel, Becky Hill etc all drawing decent crowds in recent years the demand is already there. The only people it would piss off are the ones that think the festival is already dead.

39 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

They’ll push the button on headliners like Dua Lipa soon - with her, Mabel, Becky Hill etc all drawing decent crowds in recent years the demand is already there. The only people it would piss off are the ones that think the festival is already dead.

Those acts don't draw the kind of crowd that make festivals a good atmosphere though, that's the main issue.

V 2016 - Rihanna and Justin Bieber. Those are the American versions of Dua and Styles.

Following year was Pink and Jay Z, and the year after Ollie Murs and Dizzee Rascal.

The people that go to the top 10 pop act shows don't do festivals, a festival is a coming of age thing for kids who want to rebel. This is why the best festivals are heavy on anti-system music.

Wireless - Urban

Download - Metal

Glastonbury - Hippy love

Coachella - Drug fuelled everything

Creamfields - Rave (don't know the genre)

R&L - Alt rock and hip hop

24 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Those acts don't draw the kind of crowd that make festivals a good atmosphere though, that's the main issue.

V 2016 - Rihanna and Justin Bieber. Those are the American versions of Dua and Styles.

Following year was Pink and Jay Z, and the year after Ollie Murs and Dizzee Rascal.

The people that go to the top 10 pop act shows don't do festivals, a festival is a coming of age thing for kids who want to rebel. This is why the best festivals are heavy on anti-system music.

Wireless - Urban

Download - Metal

Glastonbury - Hippy love

The Charlie Vietch vids on You Tube showing the crowds heading off to Parklife vs Harry Styles, sum this up pretty well.

There is no doubt a small crossover in the audience but overall the vibe is very, very different.

Edited by Benj

I do think though if you had Harry Styles headlining R&L, there would be an awful lot of people wanting to watch him, even if they aren't hardcore fans - especially enough to pay £80+ just to see him at his own show, but at R&L, I think there would be a lot more appeal from most people, especially given his big tunes and then like Kiwi and stuff like that of course. I think also at his own shows the vibe is very different (seen him 5 times this year), I definitely think there is a very welcome spot for him there, and would go down pretty well with the average attendee, especially if you throw in a big-ish rap act, and someone like Sam Fender, I'd imagine it would be a very fast sellout - only issue I could see with a name like HS is the die hard fans grabbing all the tickets and camping out at main stage all day, which happened at Big Weekend and (from what I heard) Coachella, which would definitely kill the vibe for some acts earlier on in the day, much like when Billie and TØP were booked as they both have a very loyal fanbase who will wait all day just to see them. Rambling a bit here, but I hope that at least sort of makes sense? Idk😂

On 6/18/2022 at 9:36 AM, rivalschools.price said:

I agree that a festival in the vein of old Reading would do well if it launched. I’d certainly be there.

However, Sonisphere was not that festival. Despite everyone’s rose tinted view of Sonisphere whenever a Download line up gets announced, other than a tiny handful of bands,they simply booked the same type of bands as Download. 

I'm not sure I agree with that. They were more allowing of other genres in a more meaningful way than Download and they were pushing new acts which are both major complaints of how stale Download is. They wouldn't have booked a load of indie landfill (and there's too many of those fests already nowadays imo, how many fucking times do you really want to see Catfish and Wombats 😜 ) to become the guitar Reading of today but instead be a much better version of Download.  

Soni don't seem to get enough credit where credit was due. They were a lot more creative with their bookings, some of which have made the last 10 years of Download's line up less boring as Soni making those choices gave Download the confidence to do them themselves. This was all doing on when Live Nation were trying to kill them off too by booking acts to just to block them from playing which is why R&L and Download suddenly upped their game at the time, if Soni wasn't around it's very possible the pop R&L of now would have happened sooner.

I would have much rather Soni survived as I can't stand the location of Donnington, it's not fit for purpose and I really don't give a shit about the history of Rainbow and Cinderella played there in the 80s. 

Edited by jump

11 hours ago, stanh said:

I do think though if you had Harry Styles headlining R&L, there would be an awful lot of people wanting to watch him, even if they aren't hardcore fans - especially enough to pay £80+ just to see him at his own show, but at R&L, I think there would be a lot more appeal from most people, especially given his big tunes and then like Kiwi and stuff like that of course. 

Its like I've been saying though, just because he sells tickets doesn't mean he will fit. He is a completely different vibe. You wouldn't have c.2001 Metallica, Stone Roses, and Robbie Williams headlining, and in 2010 you wouldn't have Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys and Ollie Murs headlining.

The show would sell out at record speed but it wouldn't be Reading/Leeds if you had a line up like - 

MSE >>

Harry Styles | Dua Lipa | Cardi B

MSW >>

Sam Fender | Olivia Rodrigo | George Ezra

10 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Troops, when does the alternative stage get announced so I can tell the missus what comedians she will miss out on as we watch Enter Shikari 🤣🤣🤣?

Usually a couple of weeks before from memory. We always have the best intentions of paying a visit but it never pans out that way 🤣

40 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Its like I've been saying though, just because he sells tickets doesn't mean he will fit. He is a completely different vibe. You wouldn't have c.2001 Metallica, Stone Roses, and Robbie Williams headlining, and in 2010 you wouldn't have Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys and Ollie Murs headlining.

The show would sell out at record speed but it wouldn't be Reading/Leeds if you had a line up like - 

MSE >>

MSW >>

Something like:

MSE: Travis Scott | Harry Styles | Paramore

MSW: Sam Fender | Bicep | Doja Cat

I think would feel very current R&L, plus be an instant sellout 

• Like 1

Thoughts on Bullet for My Valentine doing the secret set? They're doing loads of festivals this summer but none in the UK and not touring the new album in the UK until Feb.

I know they did a secret set a few years ago, but I'm pretty sure i've seen 2x Donny B and 2 x Frank Carter secret sets in the last 4-5 years.

22 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Wireless - Urban

Download - Metal

Glastonbury - Hippy love

Nah, oldies are a major demo of festivals. The two biggest age groups are either in the 40s or early 20s. Have you ever gone to Download, IOW or Glasto and seen the waves of double denim dinosaurs and deck chairs in the crowd?

3 hours ago, Chad888 said:

MSE >>

MSW >>

I’m cringing here and quite like 3 of those artists!

6 hours ago, Chad888 said:

MSE >>

MSW >>

Because having 5/6 headliners being pop stars isn't the variation Reading lineups have.

MSE - 

Harry Styles / Travis Scott / Green Day

Sam Fender / Foals / Olivia Rodrigo

that is a RandL lineup

1 hour ago, Huwey said:

Looks about right on main stage east, maybe MCR swap with the killers for the indie types, either way very likely . Don't like anyone on West , but also very likely!

I only stuck Doja and Olivia on there because everyone seems so confident and there's no way I'd be interested in all 6! Maybe drop a pop act for Foals to keep the indie goers happy

Kendrick feels like an easy lock for 2023 festivals all over the world. New Muse in August. MCR would definitely draw a crowd and it feels like they're on nobody's Download radar at all.