2022 Festival

1 hour ago, NoBuses said:

image.png.25a431c95aa3ae1e7100a2ecddcc3f8f.png

I know they’re not a band that pander to what the listener wants to hear but even they must know that TBHC was commercially woeful, especially after the success of AM where they gained so many new fans worldwide

2 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I know they’re not a band that pander to what the listener wants to hear but even they must know that TBHC was commercially woeful, especially after the success of AM where they gained so many new fans worldwide

Do they care? Probably not. They are in a position to make what they want to now

9 hours ago, NoBuses said:

Do they care? Probably not. They are in a position to make what they want to now

It’s still strange, I know he got a piano and started writing his songs on that so I was expecting it to happen again, but thought they’d readjust slightly after TBHC

13 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Yeah, can you remember that we spent ages trying work out who would be announced between Jake Bugg and Arctics, then it turned out that Jake Bugg was subbing

Third on stage, sure, I'd have seen the merit in that. 

What is quite something in retrospect is that Imagine Dragons were 3rd on playing before Jake Bugg, given their respective career trajectories.

I saw Paolo Nutini last night and I swear there were more young people (teens) than were at Jamie T on Wednesday. And they seemed to know all the words to the songs (apart from the 12 unreleased songs he played, wtf). Still can't see him ever playing Leeds though, even as a secret set

12 hours ago, NoBuses said:

image.png.25a431c95aa3ae1e7100a2ecddcc3f8f.png

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this could interest me. I like TBHC, which is clearly an exception in this thread's recent sequence of posts, so something that evolves the sound with some more up-tempo riffs, if developed nicely, could work. Proof will be in what is released, if indeed they do release an advance single this time seeing as they didn't for the last record.

Interestingly Helders also said in this interview that this week saw them begin rehearsals for their upcoming tour... could this mean yet-to-be announced album release shows before the full tour starts in August?

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this could interest me. I like TBHC, which is clearly an exception in this thread's recent sequence of posts, so something that evolves the sound with some more up-tempo riffs, if developed nicely, could work. Proof will be in what is released, if indeed they do release an advance single this time seeing as they didn't for the last record.

Interestingly Helders also said in this interview that this week saw them begin rehearsals for their upcoming tour... could this mean yet-to-be announced album release shows before the full tour starts in August?

I'm 100% the same, love TBHC especially the lyrical content so the new album as the same but a bit more up tempo with a bit more guitar is perfect for me

Even though I really liked TBHC, it’s probably the most polarising release by any British band in the 2010’s. 

I think we’ve got to the point where AM are content doing their own thing and not caring about what the fans think. 

2 hours ago, TKOCF said:

Even though I really liked TBHC, it’s probably the most polarising release by any British band in the 2010’s. 

I think we’ve got to the point where AM are content doing their own thing and not caring about what the fans think. 

Think the fans are split in 3 camps; those who want them to return to their classic style (will never happen as they aren't skint teenagers living up north scrapping with bouncers at the weekend anymore), AM fans (in my opinion, this is their most unauthentic work even though it has some bangers on it) and people who will accept any album as long as it's good. I loved TBHC but don't want a carbon copy of it, maybe like a Suck it and see to humbug - similar overall ideas and sound but with different instruments and sounds

20 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

Think the fans are split in 3 camps; those who want them to return to their classic style (will never happen as they aren't skint teenagers living up north scrapping with bouncers at the weekend anymore), AM fans (in my opinion, this is their most unauthentic work even though it has some bangers on it) and people who will accept any album as long as it's good. I loved TBHC but don't want a carbon copy of it, maybe like a Suck it and see to humbug - similar overall ideas and sound but with different instruments and sounds

Think this is exactly what I'm hoping for. I really enjoyed the different sonic direction of TBHC but the interview with Matt where me mentions a few more riffs on this one did get me feeling positive.

• Like 1

TBHC is a brilliant album, many said the same as we’re saying about Radiohead after Kid A, and even if more recent output hasn’t been amazing I personally see In Rainbows as the best Radiohead album. 
If they nail it, and create an album with a concept, lyrics to match and the new sounds of TBHC, along with some up tempo guitar songs then that will be a masterpiece. They’re not a band that releases songs like R U Mine? And When the Sun Goes Down anymore and that can be seen in then style of the band. They’ve matured from that youthful rock to more eloquent, boundary pushing (for them) albums and I am very excited

TBH&C has grown on me massively since it’s initial release, and I wouldn’t be averse to see where they take that sound with added uptempo songs and riffs, but them filling a setlist with that kind of stuff whilst headlining Reading and Leeds will be… interesting, and I look forward to hearing back how that goes down. Can’t help but get flashbacks to them doing the Humbug heavy sets a week after it was released and absolutely bombing. 

There’s no doubting TBHC was a sonically fantastic album, so interesting to listen to on the record but it probably won’t work headlining a festival like R&L in my opinion. Even Sheffield Arena of all places went dead quiet during the TBHC songs on the September 2018 tour but it was understandably bouncing for the older stuff.

The band have evolved as has been said but the live crowds haven’t in the main.

On 5/9/2022 at 9:50 PM, bleeegghh said:

Think the main difference is that reading crowd will start moshing even at the most inappropriate of times. Think its fair to say its rowdier but the pits are still worse than a good one at download. Indie fans are also notorious for starting pits at the end of the song. 

Will stand by that reading does have moshing as well as teenagers jumping into eachother to indie music 

Reading is such a mixed bag. It's either the liveliest, jumpiest crowd you've ever seen or everyone just stands fucking still.

2 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Given the absolute fucking trauma I've just been through timetabling Primavera, MSE/MSW setup is an absolute blessing that I didn't appreciate until now. 

Nick Cave vs Bauhaus

Caribou vs Jamie xx

The Strokes vs Bikini Kill

Gorillaz vs Idles

Tyler, The Creator vs Beach House

absolutely fuming 

19 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Given the absolute fucking trauma I've just been through timetabling Primavera, MSE/MSW setup is an absolute blessing that I didn't appreciate until now. 

That’s half the fun. Much better than sauntering back and forth across a field like a bored metronome, watching some shite as there’s no one else on