2022 Festival

10 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

An all female band singing very sexually suggestive lyrics, that's the kind of zeitgeist the establishment think the kids want nowadays given the whole twittersphere is nothing but gender and sexuality empowerment.

Twitter being the only thing that the men in suits that only know about money access to understand what people want.

Source - I'm in the film world, and it is exactly the same. The boardrooms used twitter to understand audience sentiment, from that they've made a huge swing to positive representation however they sacrificed story to focus on it. The initial tweets and reviews were fantastic and they got excited and then the films are all massively flopping, losing money left right and centre, and they can't even push them out to the Middle East and Asian markets. They only see the money and don't understand what went wrong, so think we don't want to see representation and now there is about to be a huge swing back to straight white male centric stories.

I feel Wet Leg is the music industries version of that. Sacrificed substance to push a band based on what they are, and nobody being interested the suits will determine we don't want to see women bands and set representation back 30 years.

You often have some bad takes but you've taken it to another level now lol

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, theesundayroast said:

Feel like Wet Leg's rise has created some very different crowds. Seeing them as a support act (for Sports Team, Inhaler, Blossoms, IDLES) they've always had a crowd with a fair bit of movement, mosh pits and dancing even back when Chaise Lounge was their only song out. Despite that, at their own shows (Latitude, 100 club, OMERA) the crowds has always felt incredibly static and largely silent and the band really haven't fed off that. From my POV, the crowds that have been at their own shows have always felt older though which certainly hasn't helped when you compare that to the demographics of Sports Team and Inhaler.

Having seen them 9 times now (some purely by chance) they're performances have certainly been a mixed bag. Hopefully after a getting on a roll of their own shows they can improve that consistency a bit. The songs are definitely there IMO.

Problem with these Uber hip bands, they attract a load of beard stroking old hipsters high on the irony of it all, not interested in having a good time, just there because they think they should be. 

It’s why as an old fart, I like Reading so much, a load of kids there to have fun, as opposed to folk there just to listen to the band because the Guardian told them to

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, theesundayroast said:

Feel like Wet Leg's rise has created some very different crowds. Seeing them as a support act (for Sports Team, Inhaler, Blossoms, IDLES) they've always had a crowd with a fair bit of movement, mosh pits and dancing even back when Chaise Lounge was their only song out. Despite that, at their own shows (Latitude, 100 club, OMERA) the crowds has always felt incredibly static and largely silent and the band really haven't fed off that. From my POV, the crowds that have been at their own shows have always felt older though which certainly hasn't helped when you compare that to the demographics of Sports Team and Inhaler.

Having seen them 9 times now (some purely by chance) they're performances have certainly been a mixed bag. Hopefully after a getting on a roll of their own shows they can improve that consistency a bit. The songs are definitely there IMO.

I've seen them twice; supporting Inhaler and supporting Johnny Marr. Take your guess at which gig was livelier. 

The Johnny Marr gig felt extremely weird though, since the day before I'd just seen Sports Team in the same exact venue and fuck me it's one of the best gigs I've ever been to. They weren't even headlining, we were so fucked after the mosh pits we left before Bloc Party even came on

13 hours ago, Komaric said:

I've seen them twice; supporting Inhaler and supporting Johnny Marr. Take your guess at which gig was livelier. 

The Johnny Marr gig felt extremely weird though, since the day before I'd just seen Sports Team in the same exact venue and fuck me it's one of the best gigs I've ever been to. They weren't even headlining, we were so fucked after the mosh pits we left before Bloc Party even came on

Sports team are an incredible live band, seen them twice and it’s been incredible both times

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

That’s a far better day than Leeds have for RATM

5DA83A57-F3FB-462D-AC2D-2D467B61E7CE.jpeg

Everywhere else looks better for Rage fans, it's like they haven't even tried at R&L. The Scottish date looks alright too with Nova Twins, Run The Jewels and The Last International supporting.

1 hour ago, jump said:

Everywhere else looks better for Rage fans, it's like they haven't even tried at R&L. The Scottish date looks alright too with Nova Twins, Run The Jewels and The Last International supporting.

Take Biffy out and it's probably not much better tbf

Anyone reckon there’s a chance for a notable special guest to open the Reading Sunday?

As the day stands now I can’t see a strong reason for the people seeing Rage to come into the arena until 8/9pm who could be spending loads on drinks throughout the day but chuck someone on who has some decent crossover that are active but free that weekend there’s a better chance to get the Rage crowd in and drinking. IDLES, Skindred, Frank Turner, Architects, Don Bronco and While She Sleeps all seem to be active and free.

Or maybe I am just hoping there’s someone to be added still so I do not spend the entire day bored seeing fucking Willow Smith and Maneskin. Lol

23 minutes ago, jump said:

Anyone reckon there’s a chance for a notable special guest to open the Reading Sunday?

As the day stands now I can’t see a strong reason for the people seeing Rage to come into the arena until 8/9pm who could be spending loads on drinks throughout the day but chuck someone on who has some decent crossover that are active but free that weekend there’s a better chance to get the Rage crowd in and drinking. IDLES, Skindred, Frank Turner, Architects, Don Bronco and While She Sleeps all seem to be active and free.

Or maybe I am just hoping there’s someone to be added still so I do not spend the entire day bored seeing fucking Willow Smith and Maneskin. Lol

Architects UK tour starts next week - possible they could be announced after it? Playing Leeds Arena - I’m going and I can’t bloody wait 

Edited by Dukey
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, jump said:

Idles are in the US I think. 

I don’t think many of those acts would be getting people otherwise not turning up until 8 suddenly banging on the door at 12:00pm though. 

4pm or so, may be a little better

26 minutes ago, Benj said:

Idles are in the US I think. 

I don’t think many of those acts would be getting people otherwise not turning up until 8 suddenly banging on the door at 12:00pm though. 

4pm or so, may be a little better

Nah, IDLES are playing Rock en Seine the same days as The Monkees a day or two before R&L.

Edited by jump

14 minutes ago, jump said:

Nah, IDLES are playing Rock en Seine the same days as The Monkees a day to two before R&L.

Oh yeah, its Wet Leg who are in the US

Its hard to believe with so many bands with big gaps at that point of the year, mid tour, that at least 1-2 wouldnt be involved but there doesn't seem to be any slots left really, unless Maneskin or equivalent drop down

I can't see them wasting big names opening the place, given the relatively small numbers Frank Turner and Nothing but thieves have bought in compared to what they'd get later in the day

4 minutes ago, Benj said:

Oh yeah, its Wet Leg who are in the US

Its hard to believe with so many bands with big gaps at that point of the year, mid tour, that at least 1-2 wouldnt be involved but there doesn't seem to be any slots left really, unless Maneskin or equivalent drop down

I can't see them wasting big names opening the place, given the relatively small numbers Frank Turner and Nothing but thieves have bought in compared to what they'd get later in the day

Was it that wasteful though as they are doing it again this year with Frank Carter. 

Really it was the Sunday that needed Frank Carter more as that day has very little synergy with the headliner whilst taking Frank out of Friday it still holds together.

25 minutes ago, jump said:

Was it that wasteful though as they are doing it again this year with Frank Carter. 

Really it was the Sunday that needed Frank Carter more as that day has very little synergy with the headliner whilst taking Frank out of Friday it still holds together.

Dunno they obv think it’s worth it, again the type of thing that looks better on paper than in reality.

Can’t imagine the artists like it much, reckon he’ll get half the crowd, half as up for it he otherwise would 4th or 5th/14…he didn’t have a huge crowd when he played 3rd down in 2019

NBT were a right damp squib, as was Frank Turner when he did it.

Edited by Benj

On 4/22/2022 at 3:25 PM, 49Lawson said:

That’s a far better day than Leeds have for RATM

5DA83A57-F3FB-462D-AC2D-2D467B61E7CE.jpeg

I'm half tempted by this.

Or rock up to Reading at 8pm and see if I can get a ticket off a tout.

10 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

This is well deserved and mental in equal measure. Surely nailed on for 2023 now

9B8B1607-3F9B-4082-AB53-8263650A0AFA.jpeg

Gonna go just for Dance Gavin Dance. Nice to know they're still planning to tour even after the unfortunate event

Edited by sacred shape

36 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

This is well deserved and mental in equal measure. Surely nailed on for 2023 now

9B8B1607-3F9B-4082-AB53-8263650A0AFA.jpeg

It’s amazing. They’ve never been covered by magazines and have never got much of a media push in any way at all really. They aren’t consistently booked by the major festivals either and have worked their way up to a second arena tour (their first was even bigger and sold very well). DON BROCO: BAND OF THE PEOPLE.

8 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

It’s amazing. They’ve never been covered by magazines and have never got much of a media push in any way at all really. They aren’t consistently booked by the major festivals either and have worked their way up to a second arena tour (their first was even bigger and sold very well). DON BROCO: BAND OF THE PEOPLE.

Plus having a number one album too. They have done better than a lot of the next big things that have popped up before just to disappear which they did without a major label.

I wouldn’t call myself a fan but every time I’ve seen them at a festival or supporting someone else I’ve enjoyed them.