2022 Festival

13 hours ago, gfa said:

There's no way they are getting rid of the dance stage - after 6pm there must be a dance act on at all times imo for the people who like dance. Not having any dance on would isolate the audience ( unless like disclosure is on main then stick someone else in there or whatever)

The conversation started with me saying that exact same thing!  Someone else questioned me saying it and got me thinking…

They never used to have a daily one, theyve in effect binned off 66% of the ability to program smaller acts, they’ve already started putting non dance acts on there, why wouldn’t a solely dance tent be canned?

There is also now a Creamfields South for Live Nation to sell.

I agree with you in the main and am just playing devils advocate, I wouldn’t be slightly surprised to see it slowly be phased out though, if the two main stage thing is sucking a lot of the attendance and they struggle to get names with another dance festival to sell the same weekend

26 minutes ago, Benj said:

The conversation started with me saying that exact same thing!  Someone else questioned me saying it and got me thinking…

They never used to have a daily one, theyve in effect binned off 66% of the ability to program smaller acts, they’ve already started putting non dance acts on there, why wouldn’t a solely dance tent be canned?

I agree with you in the main and am just playing devils advocate, I wouldn’t be slightly surprised to see it slowly be phased out though, if the two main stage thing is sucking a lot of the attendance and they struggle to get names with another dance festival to sell the same weekend

Big groups of 16 year olds go to Reading, some will like indie, some like rap, some just want to get drunk. Some also will like Dance - its a pretty big and broad genre, getting rid of the tent will put those people off tagging along with their mates. Its also pretty cheap to get DJs vs live acts - i really cannot see it going anywhere.

30 minutes ago, Benj said:

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

Big groups of 16 year olds go to Reading, some will like indie, some like rap, some just want to get drunk. Some also will like Dance - its a pretty big and broad genre, getting rid of the tent will put those people off tagging along with their mates. Its also pretty cheap to get DJs vs live acts - i really cannot see it going anywhere.

I don’t think they’ll get rid of it but I think a slight name change to something more generic so that it caters for Dance stuff but also other alternative/indie/rock/rap acts that can’t fit into 1xtra/Pit/FR and are too small to go on the main stage. They’re already putting non dance acts in there earlier in the day but it’d be good to not pigeon hole that tent as it’s now the biggest stage after the main stages. Like when Disclosure were on the main stage last year they may as well have had a rock/indie or rap alternative in there. 

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

Yup, broadly agree, the dance tent has green hugely in size over the past 10 years too and in its old position, always seemed pretty full, up to 2019. 

Only saw it last year when Kenny Hoopla  was on and it was obv empty before and afterwards, so don’t know how it’s doing without the pass trade and also now there is an act 24/7 on the main stage…

As ever it will be fashion thing and also whether a number of the ‘tag along’ types decide not to go as there’s less other choice in general due to the two main stages….

2 minutes ago, foolee said:

I don’t think they’ll get rid of it but I think a slight name change to something more generic so that it caters for Dance stuff but also other alternative/indie/rock/rap acts that can’t fit into 1xtra/Pit/FR and are too small to go on the main stage. They’re already putting non dance acts in there earlier in the day but it’d be good to not pigeon hole that tent as it’s now the biggest stage after the main stages. Like when Disclosure were on the main stage last year they may as well have had a rock/indie or rap alternative in there. 

I think ‘bands’ pre 6, mixed in with some dance, sounds like a good plan.  They could almost even rotate it so Dance acts play as bands set up. 

Could have some next big thing types play 4-5pm…

On 3/19/2022 at 11:31 AM, CharlieDaRapper said:

I know it's incredibly early to be looking at what 2023 R&L will look like but I think we will see a very refreshing lineup. I think lock these in now if I were you.

MSE: Sam Fender (playing every medium sized fest as well as Finsbury), The 1975 (arena tour and new album later this year), Florence + The Machine (arena tour new album never done it)

MSW: Rex Orange County (uk no1 album popular with both indie and rap fans and huge outdoor tour this year) AJ Tracey (the next UK rapper to make the step up) Machine Gun Kelly or Yungblud (caters to that sound and either one would both pack it out)

AJ Tracey has been 'the next UK rapper to make the step up' for like 5 years... really don't think there's any demand at all. yeah you could compare to megan's MSW slot, but megan is a worldwide name that does hugeee numbers

14 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Survey just come out- Who did we all suggest/select?

Headliners: Drake, Travis Scott, Sam Fender, Doja Cat, The Killers

Headliners (R&L Selection): Drake, Travis Scott, Harry Styles

Non-Headliners: Jorja Smith, Playboi Carti, Becky Hill, Rex Orange County, Olivia Rodrigo

Non-Headliners (R&L Selection): Jorja Smith, Becky Hill, Loyle Carner

1 hour ago, stanh said:

Headliners: Drake, Travis Scott, Sam Fender, Doja Cat, The Killers

Headliners (R&L Selection): Drake, Travis Scott, Harry Styles

Non-Headliners: Jorja Smith, Playboi Carti, Becky Hill, Rex Orange County, Olivia Rodrigo

Non-Headliners (R&L Selection): Jorja Smith, Becky Hill, Loyle Carner

Harry Styles. Jesus Christ. 

36 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Would be a banging set. 

I have a pretty open mind and I actually listened to his last LP after people said ‘it’s actually quite good’. 

It’s not though, it’s not shite either, it’s just plain dull, I was expecting something interesting after the hype but it’s just, straight, dull, average pop

Edited by Benj

23 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

Surely next year at this point. Unless it's like September would it not have been announced by now? 

Read like it's a 2023 stadium tour. Pretty sure AM are down as a UK exclusive for this, or at least festival exclusive barring any July intimate dates to promote the upcoming LP.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Read like it's a 2023 stadium tour. Pretty sure AM are down as a UK exclusive for this, or at least festival exclusive barring any July intimate dates to promote the upcoming LP.

They don't like stadiums apparently.

I put Killers, Strokes, Tame Impala then Bicep, Caribou and someone else for their picks. can't really remember

Gambino is a great shout! Missed a trick there.

I went:

1. Tame Impala, Billie Eilish, Dua Lipa, Ye, Foals

2. The Killers, Radiohead, The Strokes

3. Olivia Rodrigo, Skepta, Holly Humberstone, Arlo Parks, Wet Leg

4. Phoebe Bridgers, Alt-J, Loyle Carner

I think I put: 

1. Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Tame Impala - Royal Blood - Drake - Future 

2. Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Tame Impala - Drake

3. Foals - Machine Gun Kelly - Playboi Carti - NAV - Lil Yachty 

4. Machine Gun Kelly - Playboi Carti - Bicep 

Still hoping he may come back to the UK for Reading, seems unlikely now given the slots left and the fact he’s in the UK in June/ July, headlining the lock up v Arctic Monkeys would be perfect for me

On 3/23/2022 at 2:08 PM, frankxcx2 said:

AJ Tracey has been 'the next UK rapper to make the step up' for like 5 years... really don't think there's any demand at all. yeah you could compare to megan's MSW slot, but megan is a worldwide name that does hugeee numbers

AJ Tracy was the next was before Stormzy, Dave, Aitch. Even J Hus blew up and dropped off in that time.

2 hours ago, WhoOdyssey said:

I quite like it but Megan Thee Stallion’s new single with *Dua Lipa* is performing really poorly on the UK charts.

It debuted at #31 last week and now it’s set to completely drop out of the Top 40 tomorrow.

I said 100 times that she is an artist for American spring break, her songs barely break ground over here. Absolutly bizarre booking really. Would make more sense if it was Cardi B booked and she was going to make an appearance for WAP, Cardi dropped out and Megan stayed.