2022 Festival

I remember walking away from Mumford and Sons headlining T in the Park to watch a live band karaoke deal called Friday I'm in Love which went on to become Massaoke Scotland. That's about as close as I've had to a big drop off in size at a festival. Lots of minor ones though.

11 hours ago, Benj said:

Inhaler are fronted by Bono’s son. Deffo had a tough life and hard slog up the music industry 

I had to double take on this - but halfway through what you quoted he started talking about the Reytons instead of Inhaler.

Inhaler (sat), Sports Team (sat) and Alfie Templeman (sun) are all at Victorious. Probably rules them all out as they would be going back and forth - friday victorious, sat reading, sun leeds is the dates that make sense.

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

I had to double take on this - but halfway through what you quoted he started talking about the Reytons instead of Inhaler.

Inhaler (sat), Sports Team (sat) and Alfie Templeman (sun) are all at Victorious. Probably rules them all out as they would be going back and forth - friday victorious, sat reading, sun leeds is the dates that make sense.

They all played last year. 

It would have been less of a problem if they still had the R1, as they could've got a different slot, high up on that stage. With only 42 slots available (as opposed to 66), having 5-6 returning from the previous year, as you'd normally expect, would be properly taking the piss for regular attendees!

Again shows what a loss the R1 is. 8 less slots available daily, along with the ability for a band to play 4th main stage one year, up near the top of the R1 the next, so is at least a different experience.

I think Wolf Alice are the only main stage returnee aren't they and I suspect they were a late addition last year due to someone else pulling out. Templeman, having played the dance stage cold return on the main I guess, there must be loads of non repeat options they could chose though.

2 minutes ago, Benj said:

They all played last year. 

It would have been less of a problem if they still had the R1, as they could've got a different slot, high up on that stage. With only 42 slots available (as opposed to 66), having 5-6 returning from the previous year, as you'd normally expect, would be properly taking the piss for regular attendees!

Again shows what a loss the R1 is. 8 less slots available daily, along with the ability for a band to play 4th main stage one year, up near the top of the R1 the next, so is at least a different experience.

I think Wolf Alice are the only main stage returnee aren't they and I suspect they were a late addition last year due to someone else pulling out. Templeman, having played the dance stage cold return on the main I guess, there must be loads of non repeat options they could chose though.

Someone had predicated them a page back was why i said it - was separate from my reply to you. They are hardly against repeat bookings although none of those acts went down particularly well - the new format hasn't been out too long so hard to say yet. If they were going to repeat anything Wolf Alice is a strange choice. Their sub crowd was probably on the smaller side vs the others.

The real impending doom is Courteeners in 2023.

This remix of that Joey Vallence guy is quite something as well - i like it a lot

16 minutes ago, gfa said:

Someone had predicated them a page back was why i said it - was separate from my reply to you. They are hardly against repeat bookings although none of those acts went down particularly well - the new format hasn't been out too long so hard to say yet. If they were going to repeat anything Wolf Alice is a strange choice. Their sub crowd was probably on the smaller side vs the others.

The real impending doom is Courteeners in 2023.

This remix of that Joey Vallence guy is quite something as well - i like it a lot

They haven’t been against repeat bookings previously  

This is the first opportunity in the new world and it looks like they’re avoiding them as much as possible

…on all stages. Not even easy rebookings in higher slots in the pit for Bob Vylan, Wargasm etc…

As returnees, it’s definitely welcome. With so much less choice as it is, having the same shit you saw last year would really be taking the piss!

Just imagine if the Wombats were back again!

As I say re- Wolf Alice, I suspect they were booked for 2022 before they were eventually drafted in 2021 for someone who pulled out

Edited by Benj

1 minute ago, Pottsy2913 said:

Muse’s new album comes out on the first day of the festival. Were they advertised as an exclusive for IOW? Would be a corker of a secret set to coincide with a new album release. Can’t see it, but one can dream

Came here to post that. Wouldn't surprise me.

27 minutes ago, Pottsy2913 said:

Muse’s new album comes out on the first day of the festival. Were they advertised as an exclusive for IOW? Would be a corker of a secret set to coincide with a new album release. Can’t see it, but one can dream

Another downside of them getting rid of the NME/Radio 1 tent - any secret set by a big act now would have to be in full daylight on one of the main stages and wouldn't have the same sense of occasion as someone packing out the tent.

4 minutes ago, WFD said:

Another downside of them getting rid of the NME/Radio 1 tent - any secret set by a big act now would have to be in full daylight on one of the main stages and wouldn't have the same sense of occasion as someone packing out the tent.

Exactly what I was thinking mind. Radio 1 just had that intimate feel about it, especially when you were seeing a band far too big for that stage

100%, a band on the up for example wolf alice in 2015 played the R1 and packed it out and generated a lot of buzz, now if they broke through today they'd just be another band early afternoon on a main stage with the crowd not fully coming out of the front pit. They need to bring it back but won't

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Pottsy2913 said:

Chose Papa Roach over Pendulum in 2018, and the fact the former toured in 2019 made me regret my decision a little bit

Also picked Bowling For Soup over The 1975 in 2019, and the crowd at BFS was full of absolute knob heads. So much so I almost wished I’d seen The 1975 (plus I heard they put on a great show)

This is a tough one but I managed to see all of both of those sets and they were both insane so dont think you made the wrong choice

1 hour ago, Pottsy2913 said:

Exactly what I was thinking mind. Radio 1 just had that intimate feel about it, especially when you were seeing a band far too big for that stage

Yeah, and it meant people would pile in early for fear of missing out, and it won't be quite the same when you can watch the start from the queue for the fish finger sarnie stall and then wander down!

2 hours ago, NoBuses said:

100%, a band on the up for example wolf alice in 2015 played the R1 and packed it out and generated a lot of buzz, now if they broke through today they'd just be another band early afternoon on a main stage with the crowd not fully coming out of the front pit. They need to bring it back but won't

Aye. Been loads like that over the years. 

To honest with no competition on the other main stage, they’ll probably draw an even bigger crowd.

Ot still won’t be the same though. That sense of occasion

Judging by a very scientifically sound poll on Reddit, it seems that most have realised that the new format is all fur coat but no nickers.

So much loss for Catfish and the Bootlemen and Megan Thee Stallion (who could’ve co-headlined anyway)

45 minutes ago, Benj said:

Aye. Been loads like that over the years. 

To honest with no competition on the other main stage, they’ll probably draw an even bigger crowd.

Ot still won’t be the same though. That sense of occasion

Judging by a very scientifically sound poll on Reddit, it seems that most have realised that the new format is all fur coat but no nickers.

So much loss for Catfish and the Bootlemen and Megan Thee Stallion (who could’ve co-headlined anyway)

Fur coat with no knickers sounds tight. 

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

Fur coat with no knickers sounds tight. 

I thought it wa a probably the wrong analogy to use in this situation as I typed it!

4 hours ago, Pottsy2913 said:

Believe that they are billed as an Isle of Wight Festival exclusive, yes. But it would pretty awesome if it was done as a way to mark the launch day tbf.

Guessing it isn't quite as likely to see it done on something like the Festival Republic stage?

R&L should try to make the ‘much bigger than usual openers’ special guest opening acts each day an annual thing. NBT was really busy last year first thing and I’m sure Frank would be if he was on the RATM day and that day was generally better tailored to the headliner. 

13 hours ago, Pottsy2913 said:

Chose Papa Roach over Pendulum in 2018, and the fact the former toured in 2019 made me regret my decision a little bit

How did this happen? Papa Roach started a decent amount of time after Pendulum. This was very much up there with my favorite 1-2 Reading finish completely at that festival. Papa Roach were insane.

35 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

How did this happen? Papa Roach started a decent amount of time after Pendulum. This was very much up there with my favorite 1-2 Reading finish completely at that festival. Papa Roach were insane.

Eh, just looked at the clashfinder now! I was convinced that Papa Roach clashed with Pendulum at the time. Granted, I did watch all of Panic’s set, so that ran into Pendulum by about 20 minutes, but still! Annoys me more now knowing I could have realistically caught some of Pendulum’s set at least 😆

I don’t know why I thought Papa Roach clashed. Mind you, me and my group had consumed a LARGE volume of alcohol that day. Might explain the confusion, none of us were any the wiser…

19 minutes ago, Pottsy2913 said:

Eh, just looked at the clashfinder now! I was convinced that Papa Roach clashed with Pendulum at the time. Granted, I did watch all of Panic’s set, so that ran into Pendulum by about 20 minutes, but still! Annoys me more now knowing I could have realistically caught some of Pendulum’s set at least 😆

I don’t know why I thought Papa Roach clashed. Mind you, me and my group had consumed a LARGE volume of alcohol that day. Might explain the confusion, none of us were any the wiser…

I was driving so limited to two. To be honest you probably weren't getting anywhere close to the tent by that time.

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Yeah, I watched both Pendulum and Papa Roach too. Made it in plenty of time.

Oh, and yes, both excellent 

12 hours ago, Andre91 said:

R&L should try to make the ‘much bigger than usual openers’ special guest opening acts each day an annual thing. NBT was really busy last year first thing and I’m sure Frank would be if he was on the RATM day and that day was generally better tailored to the headliner. 

Big Weekend openers with a big act on both stages and the arena is rammed from the get go. In 2019 the opening headliners were (bear with me) Mumford & Sons and Little Mix on the main stage and Stormzy and AJ Tracey in the tent (same tent as the old R1). Four weeks later Stormzy was headlining Glasto.

I know R&L will never follow suit but it was a mental way to start each day when you think about it.

14 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Big Weekend openers with a big act on both stages and the arena is rammed from the get go. In 2019 the opening headliners were (bear with me) Mumford & Sons and Little Mix on the main stage and Stormzy and AJ Tracey in the tent (same tent as the old R1). Four weeks later Stormzy was headlining Glasto.

I know R&L will never follow suit but it was a mental way to start each day when you think about it.

They had Ed Sheeran open in 2018 too! Though that was because he had a show in the evening IIRC.